PENINSULAR BB IDLE MAX TEMP?

PJZ
Location: Ferndale Michigan and Roscommon Michigan and Tampa Bay Florida
Baseburners & Antiques: Emerald Peninsular Base Burner
Other Heating: Jotul wood stove

Post by PJZ » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 2:41 am

Hello good people!

I have my Emerald Peninsular BB in my northern Michigan cabin now for 6 years and I love it. I show it off and answer a ton of questions about it and heating with coal. I want to thank the forum for helping me out in the beginning of my coal use.

Northern MI has been warmish, 35F, lately and a week more to go.
This my first time using the stove for more than a week-10 days when I'm on vacation. I can work from anywhere now and I'm at the cabin for more than a month!

I am idling along nicely at 300F stove temp and 100F stack temp with a full load lasting almost 30 hours of steady temperature before I need to add 30lbs, just a shake here and there. This beast takes 80lbs of coal and that fill it to the top of the self feeder. BTW using TSC. It's seems to burn better than last years TSC.

Question...This is as slow as I can get it. Do my temps sound in line?
Question...How hot-high can she go?
Question...Should I coat the coal pot with???

At startup to get going she can really heat up. I don't let her go past 600F before closing her up. My normal Settings are MFD closed, BB deverter, ash direct vent open and bottom draft about half a turn open. This produces stove temp of 400F which is good for my place keeping the temp around 70F when it gets below 25F.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 12:59 pm

Welcome back Patrick ! Did you ever figure out where that flapper piece came from ? 😆

Can't remember if you lined your firepot with refractory. That would enable you to slow the fire down below 300*

I'm able to slow mine down on warm days to where it looks like the fire is out, and I can place my hand on the side doors above the firepot an not get burned.

On these warm days I mix pea and rice coal with the chestnut to slow it down.

Paulie

PJZ
Location: Ferndale Michigan and Roscommon Michigan and Tampa Bay Florida
Baseburners & Antiques: Emerald Peninsular Base Burner
Other Heating: Jotul wood stove

Post by PJZ » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 9:59 pm

Hi Paulie!
Thanks for the warm greetings.
I never found out where that flapper went. It doesn't fit anywhere on the stove. I've got all my flappers and doors. I think its from another stove. I still have it.
I will coat my pot with refractory this summer. Any special kind work best?
Thanks for the reply.
Patrick

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”