franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Dec. 20, 2020 4:00 pm

rjsop1 wrote:
Sun. Dec. 20, 2020 3:07 pm
Those of you who restored these stoves.... Do you seal all the parts of the fire pot and the cast flue parts with gasket cement or that fiberglass rope material or both???
Looking at the Moore's catalog it states that the seams are sealed with asbestos. I suspect a fibrous or rope form. Most use furnace cement today, but this dries very hard and brittle which resists the normal expansion and contraction, and can lead to cracking. I would prefer modern fiberglass rope if the channels involved can hold it well.

rjsop1

Post by rjsop1 » Sun. Dec. 20, 2020 4:30 pm

I suspected the old seals were asbestos and were careful removing. There was more in the wife's stove than mine but we got rid of it all. I will look at that fiberglass rope. Much appreciated.

Laurenrs
Baseburners & Antiques: Moore heater 403B
Other Heating: Wood

Post by Laurenrs » Sun. Dec. 20, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the grate info...
However, my grate seems good but the 3 small ledges
It rests on... one of the ledges broke off. So the pillar of metal i put in there is holding it up.

So guessing the real issue is the pot or pail?

rjsop1

Post by rjsop1 » Sun. Dec. 20, 2020 9:50 pm

Laurenrs - Ah yes, I know those ledges very well. You might be able to find someone to weld some kind of tab or ledge on there for you. Doesn't have to look pretty just strong enough.. That was my original question to the group...what kind of roller or balls go on them..

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 21, 2020 9:01 am

Well put R-- L if ya can find one of those ball thinggys, which I kinda doubt--welding a plain tab will work as well as not--if your home-made support is working I have no doubt a simplistic tab will work. Orrrr, ya can complicate the hell out of it!!! LOL--If it works, stick with it!! :)

rjsop1

Post by rjsop1 » Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 7:54 am

It's been a while since I posted but wanted say that my wife and I got both our stove/furnace up and running and working great.

Recently I was able to get my hands on another Moore's 403b very cheap but the firepot is a damaged beyond repair. Does anyone know of a place that might recast or have another firepot option for replacement? I have to say I'm starting to enjoy doing these restores.

As always thanks for any input.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”