GW#6 T minus 11 and counting

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Feb. 17, 2022 9:23 am

Tommy, good eye, yes the smoke pipe at the thimble went from 105 to 125.
The difference there in the whole length of the smoke pipe balanced the temperature loss in the base chamber. Mostly due to the fact that the heat passed out of the thin Tin smoke pipe easier than the heat was formerly radiating out thru the iron walled base chamber.
So, at this low firing rate, in my now every tight envelope, there is no heat to house difference between base mode or direct mode.
There is also a threshold of sustainable low fire cruise. In my application about as low as I can go without constant attention is .005 and one spinner open about a thumbnail( I’ve never measured that with gauges, it’s just one of those “good enough” things to me)
No diff. base or direct this results in barely 20#’s a day being burned.
That’s about .83…. Pounds an hour. I was able to pull off .66…..pounds an hour with FRANK in the right conditions but it was more of a novelty than any useful purpose. Some of the diff. Is that FRANK is an actual base burner and the exhaust traveling along the sides of the fire pot inside the stove does help keep the fire burning.
Sorry, short answer, no the IAT did not change as a result of going to direct draft even with the secondaries open nearly 50%.
Last edited by KingCoal on Thu. Feb. 17, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Feb. 17, 2022 9:31 am

Keep in mind I was only trying to accomplish a 23 degree temp increase over OAT.
Could I just open the windows more and hold the house at 70, sure but there is little challenge or new understanding required or gained from that.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Feb. 17, 2022 12:40 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Feb. 17, 2022 9:31 am
Keep in mind I was only trying to accomplish a 23 degree temp increase over OAT.
Could I just open the windows more and hold the house at 70, sure but there is little challenge or new understanding required or gained from that.
I love the thought process…now that’s using your noodle!!!

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Thu. Feb. 17, 2022 12:47 pm

Hi KingCoal,
Does the coal stop burning with less than a fingernail of spinner open?
You must be into the temperature decline of this weather system.
Where I am, we are hovering around freezing and still raining.

I had the range spinners closed down last night and temp went down to 71 inside this morning. I have now ramped up a little now in anticipation of the cold temps overnight. Temp inside now 74 so I can take advantage of what little thermal mass I have in the house.

Reid

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Feb. 17, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello Reid,
Actually we were in the second day of a very short lived thaw spike between 2 weather systems. Yes my stove is so tight that if I completely close both ash pit spinners the fire will go out.
Today is much different, we are at 32F wind chill 22F currently with the forecast snow just starting exactly as predicted.
My current adjustments are mano at .02, both spinners open a thumbnail and in base heater mode. This is providing a perfect 70F throughout the house.
From 35F on down I have lots of options in operation and even at -20F I’m running at less than 25% of throttle.
With sustained temps below 32F amounting to about 2 months out of not less than 5 months of heat season I could operate much more efficiently with a smaller stove of advanced design.
Thanks for asking
steve

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Thu. Feb. 17, 2022 6:22 pm

Snowing to beat the band here since 4 pm EST. Temp just below 30 F now. Temps dropping to around 10F by early morning.
Mano at just over 0.01 currently and primary dampers open a quarter rotation on the thread. MPD is fully closed. Stove runs fine at 0.005 on the magnehelic, but can only achieve that above freezing. Probably could use a second MPD. Wind here is seldom an issue in the valley,100ft below the prevailing elevation.
I believe we are experiencing same weather systems as you are, just a little later.

Reid

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 2:16 pm

Well, we are well established in the 20#’s and less per 24 hours operating schedule.
once it’s 20F and above over night steadily it’s-.01 and under on the mano and a slit on one draft spinner.
It’s time for LIMBO !! Let’s see if the 6 can pull off .5 #’s an hour shall we.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Mar. 04, 2022 2:59 pm

Time to raid the bin for stone chips or pea. Gettr down to fire the size of a turkey egg, all is good!!

Open her up and away she goes!

One black ash shovel of chips a day, keeps the "match" away.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”