GW#6 T minus 11 and counting

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 8:12 pm

I’m still using 30 pounds a day at present.

I went thru a learning curve of dealing with the fact that this stove loves to run at around .005 and throws very nice heat doing it

If we get wind along with the negative still air next week it would be cool to use 40 pounds in 24 hours because that would be a 33% reduction of fuel use in similar conditions before the house updates

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 8:23 pm

By the way Art what stove you using in the front room now ?

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 8:40 pm

Lillian 110 still. Waiting for horsepower test.

33% is a nice reduction.

Attachments

IMG_20200506_080640010.jpg
.JPG | 351.4KB | IMG_20200506_080640010.jpg

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Feb. 06, 2021 10:00 am

I guess you won’t be needing the Clarion this year lol

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Feb. 06, 2021 10:42 am

KingCoal wrote:
Sat. Feb. 06, 2021 10:00 am
I guess you won’t be needing the Clarion this year lol
That thing don't make good heat. Just burn the dust off it once a season. A usable decoration. :clap:

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Feb. 07, 2021 7:29 am

Ok over the months I’ve figured out how to burn very little coal but.....

With actual cold ( 3F and -13 real feel ) Im loosing ground over night. House was 60 degrees this morning and since tending at 5am has come up to 65F by 7:30am, not very fast results

Sooooo all you veterans of 6’s and 8’s what’s your process and settings for established cold weather?

Thanks
steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Feb. 07, 2021 2:51 pm

Well DUH, sometimes you change equipment and get the idea that the basics have been altered too

It don’t work like that. The way you get there might change ( slightly ) but you still cause the same effect

Sitting here thinking about how easy it was when I had the advantage of a bi metal therm. and how it would automatically open the primary air supply to hold a comfort setting when the envelope cooled.

Right ya cracker, open the primaries some and open the dampers to hold -.02 on the Mano. Presto 5 degree rise throughout the house in 45 minutes. Guess I need to review my own signature lines more often

“ if it was any simpler it wouldn’t work “

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Sun. Feb. 07, 2021 9:29 pm

Post up some pictures!

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Feb. 08, 2021 7:26 am

what sort of pics would you like ? these stoves aren't well known for fire view LOL

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Feb. 08, 2021 9:30 am

Sooooo all you veterans of 6’s and 8’s what’s your process and settings for established cold weather?

Run it hot and open a window if necessary. These stoves were designed to heat not lay around roasting coal a pound at a time. Open it up. Let it run. Tend it every 8 hrs instead of 12 or 14.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Feb. 08, 2021 9:37 am

TSB, good advise. I've been holding back on going hotter than I have to cause the paint and polish isn't completely cure yet and starts to smell

I guess i'll just put a box fan in the closest window and let her rock

Thanks
steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Feb. 09, 2021 8:24 pm

First day of running 40 pounds thru the #6

Since I was running well under that I had plenty of room to still tend it at 12 hours and frankly if I ever get a stove that won’t produce at least a 70 degree margin from zero or under OAT and not make it 12 hours it’ll go back out the door

I built frankenstoves that would do that in this house while it still had hundred year old windows, doors and no insulation

This 6 has about 50 pounds in the pot and another 27 in the magazine and it’s still not emptying the mag in 12 hours

Anyway, very easy to do once I got past my DOH moment

Thanks
steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 5:57 pm

Well had the first ash bridge in the GW #6 to he last couple days. It was so subtle that I didn’t even realize it the first 36 hours. It ends up the dome was pretty close to the bottom of the magazine.
What was happening was that a small amount of ash was still getting past on the far left and right sides of the bridge and grates but the level of the coal in the magazine was hardly moving down, slow but obvious give away.
So, I got the ash pan out and a flash light so I could align and see up thru the grated and use the angle poker to break up the bridge and get it down on the grates to shake it loose and out. After all that I had hot coal at the grate level and was getting usable heat at a smaller primary settings than when the bridge was intact
Don’t know how I managed to induce this but found and corrected it and all is well.
Thanks
steve

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 6:44 pm

If you run it hot in really cold weather, it's going to bridge.

Except on the warm, slow-running days, my GW #6 will bridge by the time it's ready for its 12 hour shake and refuel. Changing brands of coal doesn't make a difference.

So, I just plan on dealing with the bridge as part of each tending.

To start, I open the MPD and direct damper and then top off the magazine. That gets the coal heating in the mag which helps reduce recovery time.

I rotate the grates 2/3 turn. That clears any cooler clinkers and ash off the grate without risk of dumping any unburned coal (1/3 turn never is enough to clear then after a 12 hour run).

Then I poke down along the bricks at least 180 degrees of the firebed with a right-angle poker to break the bridge loose from the bricks. Since by then, it's mostly ash right next to the bricks because the mag mainly feeds the middle of the firebed with fresh coal, there is no risk of the poking making more clinkers - like would happen if I poked where the coals were still burning near the fusion temperature.

Once the bridge collapse, I shake the grates until I see a glow in the ash pan while looking in though the primary dampers.

Then I re-top off the mag and set the dampers. That takes a little more than 5 minutes.

Add a few more minutes to one of the 12-hour tendings to empty the ash pan after all the shaking.

Paul

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Wed. Jan. 12, 2022 6:57 pm

I'm going to burn pea in the G6 so it'll be a all new learning curve.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”