Need help with identification/restoration

TimB

Post by TimB » Wed. Sep. 23, 2020 4:08 pm

Hey Folk! Thanks for having me. I need help identifying this victorian coal fireplace. I work for a fireplace company in wisconsin and one of our customers wants to restore this one and convert it to a woodburner. We will be relining the chimney.

I'm hoping you folks can at least give me an idea about what brand it is, and how we would go about finding an exact replacement or restoring this one. It seems the bottom back and sides have rusted away or been removed.

I truly appreciate any information or advice you can share. Thank you
IMG_1913.jpg
.JPG | 512.6KB | IMG_1913.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Sep. 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Wal, where are ya!! Be patient T, there's a couple antique insert guys on here--Wal is from the UK & VERY knowledgable.

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Wed. Sep. 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi , Flattered that Fred thinks I’m knowledgeable about insert stoves , could you possibly take more photos of the inside of the stove / grate etc that would give me a better indication of whether it’s a multi fuel or coal only + whether it is a viable proposition to restore 👍

Wal

Post by Wal » Thu. Sep. 24, 2020 3:58 am

Sorry Fred caughtme on the hop and I didn’t read the thread correctly as I was about to go to bed . I have two Parlor stoves that I have restored and fitted , one to my main chimney , the other I built a false fireplace and went thru the outside wall and used twin wall stainless steel flue pipe bolted to the side of the wall to exit the smoke . I would presume from what you are looking to do your best option would be to find a sheet metal / fabrication workshop , take measurements of whether you are going to place the newly made stove into the chimney Breast , or close the opening off completely with a steel plate with a hole in it to connect your stainless steel liner to the back of your new stove . A good fabrication shop would be able to make you the body of your stove from mild steel , and a simple wood burning grate could again be fabricated to suit . Sorry that I can’t be any help , just take some measurements, and find a fabrication shop willing to do the work , for the price you are willing to pay . Again sorry I couldn’t be more help .

Wal

Post by Wal » Thu. Sep. 24, 2020 4:06 am

This is what I did to my chimney breast after fitting a original cast iron fireplace , and fitting my 1860 Parlor stove . Sorry photos came out sideways .

Attachments

Wal

Post by Wal » Thu. Sep. 24, 2020 4:13 am

Here is what it looks like .

Attachments

TimB

Post by TimB » Thu. Sep. 24, 2020 8:04 am

Hey guys, thanks for your replies so far. I think it would be fairly easy to get a throat welded on to make the relining process easier. I guess my problem is that I have no idea what the finished product is supposed to look like, and the customers says there aren't any intelligible stamps or makers marks on it. Here are the other pictures that i have.

Attachments

Screenshot_20200924-065829~2.png
.PNG | 2.3MB | Screenshot_20200924-065829~2.png
Screenshot_20200924-065842~2.png
.PNG | 2.3MB | Screenshot_20200924-065842~2.png

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Sep. 24, 2020 10:16 am

Might consider skipping a complete restoration if you cannot find another to reference. Since the objective is to burn wood, likely much easier to preserve what is there and setup the internals with firebrick and cast refractory to protect the exposed iron. Just a thought.

If you did manage to restore to the original coal configuration, the customer would have less space inside for firewood.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”