Sougland Excelsior 183

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 6:51 pm

That’s one midieval looking stove. Awesome!!! Real beauty!!!

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Tue. Nov. 03, 2020 6:05 am

Thank you all for the compliments.

LeoinRI
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Mon. Nov. 08, 2021 11:16 am

Good morning,

I've discovered that the outer enameled case of my stove was not squarely installed on the cast iron body. The result is that the ash door does not fit squarely and is leaking air. In the picture I placed some plumber's putty on the corners to see the extent of the leak, at least 0.1" from left to right. To fix this correctly I will need to completely disassemble the stove including rebuilding the firebox. One alternative is to attach a flat gasket to the door and hope the slop in the hinge will allow the gap to be filled. The other is to run a high temp silicone bead on the door and close it on saran wrap to make a better seal. Any suggestions on the better option or others?
Thanks,
Leo

Attachments

IMG_3257.JPG
.JPG | 79.3KB | IMG_3257.JPG

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Nov. 08, 2021 11:54 am

Got any .22mag shell casings. Cut to length with pipe/tubing cutter, debur. Slip on hinge pin or tap gently with little hammer in hinge pin hole. Use to tighten up slop in hinge area. Free at shooting range.

Or

Use electrical ground wire crimp sleeves.

Attachments

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Tue. Nov. 09, 2021 8:39 pm

It sounds like it runs a lot like my franklin. That's such a beautiful stove, im very jealous. Have you figured out what size it prefers?

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Wed. Nov. 10, 2021 4:45 am

Does it affect the performance of your stove having the leak at the feed door at the top of the stove ? My deville 600 has the same design with the feed port at the top of the stove , I haven’t bothered to seal it as it only smokes slightly when initially firing up the stove , when it’s nice and hot there is no smoke . Only need to make sure that the primary air feed door is well sealed to be able to control the air flow . If you think it is nessesary to seal it I would think high temp car engine gasket sealant would do the trick . Regards Wal

Attachments

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Nov. 10, 2021 8:41 am

It's a matter of how much leakage there is, combined with how well that stove's chimney system drafts. A little leakage can help, but a lot can hurt.

Any post firebed air leaks can reduce the draft strength by lowering the exhaust temp. Plus, it can make it tougher to start a fire and to recover the fire after refueling.

Small post firebed air leaks can reduce tendency for a puff-back, as they help burn off volatile gasses.

Paul

LeoinRI

Post by LeoinRI » Wed. Nov. 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Cdon2948: Thanks for the compliment. So far, I've only burned nut in the Excelsior. I was given some stove size coal by a forum member last spring and will try that out once I seal the ash door.

Wal: I've seen a few whisps of smoke from the load door while starting a fire. I suppose I should install a thin gasket. I don't think there is enough of a leak to make a big change in performance.

I'll have to investigate how to remove the ash door hinge pin without damaging the enameled caps. If this looks too difficult, I'll use a bead of high temp silicone (with appropriate release agent) to make a better seal.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Thu. Nov. 11, 2021 3:44 am

You have beautiful stove . Think we were both very lucky to find the stoves we wanted from Harrie and his son in Amsterdam 😁.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”