mica windows on coal burning cooking range

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 11:52 am

The Glenwood kitchen heater had no oven - just a rectangular firebox over a triangular set of coal grates with an ash drawer below. Loading and ash drawer door at one end, pipe collar at the other with two round covers on top like those on a full size range.

Those box type parlor stoves in your last picture were quite common and still can be found on eBay and Craig's List. They often had a flat top under a swing/removable bonnet that could be a cooking surface big enough two large pots. However, the most commonly found ones of that type are for wood only.

Paul

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 12:17 pm

gardener wrote:
Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 10:25 am
I do forget about apartments that were heated separately.
There are a lot of duplexes in our area that were built before and after WWII, separate chimneys. The chimneys served the kitchen and the basement furnace. They had large registers in the hallway of the main and second floor.
I cannot recall any kitchen appliance venting to the chimney, the duplexes I had been in.
The apartment complex I lived in (same town) was built probably in the 1970s and had all electric and no chimneys.

Saw this last night while skimming the 1899-1900 Detroit Stove Works catalog, I have been through that catalog probably 3 times prior and never noticed this cook stove before. They have it described as a 'parlor cook'.
I seen a fair number of large 19th century houses converted to duplexes or rooming houses. I assume the old houses were either too expensive to run, didn't provide the latest modern conveniences or the neighbourhoods were on downward trends.

Many of these had fireplaces in main rooms and bedrooms. These little parlor stoves with cooking facilities would suit those conversions.
The dates those stoves were popular and the regions they were popular probably tells us something...

Reid

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 1:52 pm

Central heating was a relatively new thing for the vast majority. Before 1900 having fireplaces or stove chimneys in many rooms was the norm. My kitchen has one chimney with a thimble for the range and a thimble in the basement for a coal-fired hot water heater that's still here.

The chimney in the living room (called a sitting room back then) has a huge fireplace at one end and the central chimney for the coal furnace walled-in at the other end. When I opened up the old thimble in that chimney there was another closed up thimble opposite it for a stove to heat the front and back parlors just off the sitting room. Might even be more closed up thimbles in some of the bed rooms upstairs, because three of them share a wall with chimneys ?

And this place had an "octopus" type gravity coal furnace system put in late 1800's or the early 1900's, to replace the many individual stoves.

If you've ever been to Wilson's place he still has the original stove hook ups (with working stoves) in just about every room of that three story house. ;)

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Jun. 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Aug. 27, 2020 4:30 pm
Quite possibly it was mica. Acorn stoves tended to be rather ornate, and stayed that way as other stove makers were starting to go to simpler decoration.

With those early style cookstoves, the firebox end usually faced out into the room. So if it was mica in that loading door, you'd have a view of the firebed just like parlor stoves. You could cook from the front or either side. Some of that style even had an oven door on both sides giving access to either end of the oven.

And even on later ranges like mine, where the firebox is typically on the left end when doing all the cooking/baking, that firebox end was still referred to as the stove's "front" - and what we think of as the front of the range is actually called the "right end", when ordering new firebricks. Holdover terms from those earlier cookstoves.

Paul
I have seen ranges with the air controls and load / ash doors to the left like this one.
I have also seen ranges that were built into a fireplace hearth or had brick lined up against the 'front, left, and back' of the range, in which a range with the example Provident range would be a candidate for that sort of installation with the doors on the right side, the only side not blocked off by brick.
Was the bricked in ranges a particular period? fad? regional preference?

Many of the photos online of bricked in ranges, seemed like the room was in a basement or working area with few windows, like it was designed to be used by hired help while other work was being performed in the same room. Was bricked in ranges a utilitarian purpose?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jun. 03, 2021 5:18 pm

I like that one--simple & efficient!! :)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”