Glenwood No.8

oldschoolhouse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sun mogul 295 laundry stove
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Treasure 12
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by oldschoolhouse » Sat. Jun. 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Well I finally found a base heater to restore, as if I don't have enough projects for the house right now. My Crawford Treasure 12 has been doing a fantastic job of heating my 2 story 30x25 house, but no matter how warm it is inside, the downstairs floor is always cold. I promised my wife that if I ever find a base heater in decent shape for a reasonable price I would restore it so her feet won't be as cold in the winter. I was doing my daily search for free coal on the Facebook marketplace and lo and behold there is a Glenwood No. 8 about 2 hours from me. I went to look at it last Saturday, but the power steering pump in my truck gave out halfway to it out in the middle of nowhere. The couple still had it today and my wife and I went to look at it. As far as I can tell the fire pot is good with no cracks, and it has good bricks stamped GBB inside. It is missing the cast iron elbow with the check damper and the spark guard inside is missing. The sheet metal is thick and in good shape with no holes. The grates are in fantastic shape and the ashpan and base chamber area looked good. No warping or cracks down there. The two front feet on the base have a small crack in them. The back pipe has some issues however-the lower right hand ear is cracked off but still bolted on, and the d shaped collar where it attaches is broken on that side as well. I found part of that in the ash pan and when I vacuum it out tomorrow maybe I'll find the rest of it. Also the secondary rings are all there, including the piece that goes in the front under the door. All and all I think I did well for a good price. I can't wait to get started on it this winter, but for now I have to replace the floor structure from the down in the cellar. Its 194 years old and the joists are getting punky, soft, wiggly, and saggy. I'm pretty sure this behemoth of a stove would collapse the floor! I knew the dimensions of the stove and had a good idea of what to expect but I had to try my hardest not to act surprised when i first saw it. Its huge! I got lucky with the help of some of the couple's neighbors to lift it off the base. Anyway, I have a friend coming to help me unload it tomorrow. It will sit in my shop with a good coat of oil on it to slow down the rust. I'll update with some photos tomorrow. When I do restore it I will be sure to photograph the parts and pieces for you all!
Last edited by oldschoolhouse on Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jun. 27, 2020 9:50 pm

Pictures, yes pictures! It sounds like both you and the wife are happy with it so its a winner!

I hate cold feet and I hate any part of my body being cold so I can relate.

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Quick update! While vacuuming out the rest of the ashes I found the broken pieces of the d shaped backpipe collar. Does this piece have a technical name? Maybe I can get them welded up or at least have a new piece fabricated. On almost all of the no.8's I've seen pictures of this part seems to be the most commonly broken. Maybe it would make more sense to have one made out of 1/8 thick steel plate, like I've seen done with the base chamber by Wilson's woodstoves. I think sunnyboy's no. 6 is done that way. It is a pretty plain piece with not much in the way of fancy ornamentation.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Is that the Rhode Island #8?

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Here are 2 pictures of the Modern Glenwood Base Heater No.8 that the seller took for me. The second picture shows the broken piece. The stove is in my shop now with a good coat of wd-40 and pb blaster on all the fasteners. It will stay there until I have the time to work on it. I have it on a rolling base so I can move it around as needed.

Attachments

glenwood no 8.jpg
.JPG | 124.2KB | glenwood no 8.jpg

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Jun. 28, 2020 7:55 pm

Looks pretty good. GW#6&#8 have same trouble spots.

Not the R.I. one

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Sat. Jul. 11, 2020 6:43 am

As long as you have the missing piece of the D ring it can be welded, if you have it recast they don’t fit, they shrink quite a lot

Dana

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”