Rathbone Sard & Co Acorn Stove

Clevemont

Post by Clevemont » Sat. Jun. 20, 2020 11:16 pm

Hello Everyone!
I’m looking to purchase a home that has an old Acorn stove that I’m being told is fully functional. I’m open to keeping it while trying to sort out what we’d like do with the kitchen but it looks like it will be awfully difficult to move when it comes time. I was hoping to get some sense of the value and whether it would be worth keeping and handling myself versus having the seller take it with him. Can anyone share what they think this might be worth? I’m sure that the buyer pools is also pretty limited as well. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

1F283F76-29DB-4B9E-B51D-014C9C827DA2.jpeg
.JPEG | 312KB | 1F283F76-29DB-4B9E-B51D-014C9C827DA2.jpeg

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 8:44 am

Nice high end model Acorn range. It has all the options. In very nice condition. Made late teens early 20's.

It has 7 open burners, broiler,oven,bread oven,warming oven.

Don't be surprised it if works better than the new models today.

If you like antiques ask to keep it to use.

Price ask 800, you can always lower the price. Some go for much higher prices. There are stove crazy people that would probably like to have it.

A short article about your stove.
https://thistlecove.farm/2009/11/acorn-cook-stove ... -1914.html

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 9:59 pm

That article says the ovens are electric.
Is the level of oven heat dialed in by a turn of the knob, like the gas burners are?

Also been curious about those towel racks, are they the gas pipes?

mntbugy
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 10:19 pm

Might be a typo in the article. Gas valves on the Ivanhoe oven. Main oven most likely to.

Towel bars/ gas lines? I'd like to know to. Probably gas lines?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jun. 23, 2020 6:55 am

Pretty range.

It's originally all gas, not wood, coal, or electric. As for the stove in the link - some restoration shops have been doing electric conversions on antique ranges, and that one may very well be one of the conversions.

It may need the gas valves rebuilt to prevent gas leaks. There are stove restoration shops that can do that type of work.

Sorry, can't help with value as I don't follow sales of gas stoves.

Paul

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Tue. Jun. 23, 2020 7:25 am

I have an "apartment" sized Glenwood (4 burners 1 oven). The "towel bars" are nickeled gas lines. Mine had been modified to include a safety pilot for the oven. The oven has an off/on valve, and a modulating thermostat to control temperature. I've seen refurbished stoves like this for sale for as much as $24,000 http://www.ericksonsantiquestoves.com/Inventory.html There is a more modest one for sale here for $6400 https://capecod.craigslist.org/hsh/d/north-falmou ... 92671.html

Good luck,
Leo

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Jun. 23, 2020 8:22 am

I want emphasize what LeoinRI said, specifically "I've seen refurbished stoves like this for sale for as much as $24,000". Big difference in what refurbishment has been done. Back when I was shopping I spoke with some of the dealers, and in my ignorance focused on the price (mostly due to my limited budget). However, I did come away with the sense that some dealers do more than others to refurbish. Once I finally made a purchase that was within my budget, I found out quickly that 'refurbished' can mean anything. I had assumed that the stove I purchased had been disassembled for refurbishment, but was actually only cleaned up as far could be reached without disassembly :what: In hindsight, I don't think the dealer misrepresented it, just I did not have the knowledge of what to look for and ask. Last year I was looking closer at the nickeling, and all they did was dunk the piece in the bath and nickeled over all of the imperfections so when you look at it your eye is drawn to the imperfections :roll: that will eventually have to be redone. If a seller or dealer does a thorough refurbishment, it would help explain higher asking prices. Of course what effort was put into the refurbishment is just one factor in the final sales price.

I would think clientele and average annual income of the people in the market of the seller probably factors into it as well. Rarity and appeal of the stove is probably big factors.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Jun. 23, 2020 8:26 am

mntbugy wrote: Might be a typo in the article.
Sunny Boy wrote: It's originally all gas, not wood, coal, or electric. As for the stove in the link - some restoration shops have been doing electric conversions on antique ranges, and that one may very well be one of the conversions.
Excellent, that did not even occur to me.
I like this forum!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jun. 24, 2020 7:39 am

Just two of the shops that advertise that they can do electric or gas conversions, and rebuild gas stoves.

Antique Stove Hospital
http://stovehospital.com/index.html

Stanley Iron Works,
https://www.antiquestovesbystanleyiron.com/antiqu ... onversion/

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Jun. 25, 2020 2:54 pm

00w0w_9VpQ6xiIt2Q_0t20t2_600x450.jpg
.JPG | 42.8KB | 00w0w_9VpQ6xiIt2Q_0t20t2_600x450.jpg
Saw this and made me think of this thread, an example of a unique and appealing range, all electric, lots of the smaller versions out there.
Looks like they took the legs off and mounted it on cabinets.
I still think they are asking way too much, $14,000.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/atq/d/missoula ... 57637.html

Clevemont, any decisions you guys made about the range in question? curious what you're thinking

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Jun. 25, 2020 5:02 pm

gardener wrote:
Thu. Jun. 25, 2020 2:54 pm
00w0w_9VpQ6xiIt2Q_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

Saw this and made me think of this thread, an example of a unique and appealing range, all electric, lots of the smaller versions out there.
Looks like they took the legs off and mounted it on cabinets.
I still think they are asking way too much, $14,000.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/atq/d/missoula ... 57637.html

Clevemont, any decisions you guys made about the range in question? curious what you're thinking
For $14,000 I would hope the house goes with it.

Paulie

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jun. 25, 2020 5:16 pm

AND-----a couple of cars in primo condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

mntbugy

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Jun. 25, 2020 5:24 pm

Found a Garland and a Favorite in the same style. Move decimal point to the left one spot. Sold for price.

To the original OP. Double that 800 to 1600 dollars for the Southwest region.
A couple restoration guys in your neighbor hood. Found your exact stove.

PS: Nice SHAQ, found by accident.

Clevemont

Post by Clevemont » Fri. Jun. 26, 2020 2:05 am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I started to reach out to some antique stove retailers to see what they would offer for it and their first question is usually, “how much do you want for it?” My response is always, “I have no clue what it is worth! Can you just make me an offer?” I’m not quite sure yet what I’m going to do with the stove. I’m actually partial to keeping it as it looks like it might be fun to use, but I’m afraid of the learning curve as I’ve just used modern appliances all my life. I would need to get an education on what all the different things do. Not gonna lie, it does look a little intimidating! If I could get $5k+ I think I would just sell it but below that, I might just try it out for a bit first while doing some more research on the antique stove market.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Jun. 26, 2020 6:36 am

If your going to use it, just remember the old TV ad. " I just lit my pipe and it went boom. "

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”