Home Acorn Stove

jijarine

Post by jijarine » Sat. May. 23, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello! I recently bought a stove for my home and I am working on restoring it but I'm failing to find the model, year, etc of the stove. Could anyone be so kind as to help? Here is the information I have been able find.

I'm thinking its 1890's Home Acorn Coal & Wood with a reservoir, however I've no idea how the reservoir works or where the wood and/or coal goes. I'm assuming in the left compartment?

Thanks!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 23, 2020 8:51 pm

Welcome, J.

Looking at the style of it I'd guess it's later than 1890's. More like 1910-20's. After 1900 stove makers started getting away from the very decorative styles to simpler more modern style. My wife's family Acorn range was still of the fancy style and it was a post 1900 range. Try looking inside some casting. Very often stove manufactures used the date cast into the pieces as part of the model and part number.

Yours is commonly called a "Roll top" range because of the upper warming oven type door.

Yes, the firebox is most often at the left end, but there were a few ranges made with the reverse. If it can burn coal depends on the type of grates the range has. If you can post clear pictures looking down through the cooktop openings into the fire box, we can let you know if they are coal grates, or just for wood.

thee should be a damper back by the stove pipe collar to put the range in either "direct draft" or "oven mode". You use direct draft when starting and refueling the range because the exhaust goes directly from the firebox to the exit collar and stove pipe to get is burning sooner. Otherwise it's left in the oven mode for normal operation. In oven mode, it sends the exhaust across the top of the oven under the cooktop, over to the right side. Then down the flue on the right side of the oven to under it and either back up the right side, or up the back, to the exit collar and out the stove pipe.

The reservoir is just a water tank jacketed by exhaust flues. Used to heat water for washing dishes, etc. There is a small lever located between the tank and the right side of oven door- to operate a damper to divert the exhaust either around the tank, or to bypass it once the water is hot enough. You should be able to see that damper by lifting the cooktop round covers on the right end and look down in the flue as you move the lever. Same by lifting the water tank and cover out and looking in the reservoir space. You'll see what looks like two doors, between that space and the flue on the other side that is up against the right wall of the oven.

The little door just under the left end of the oven doors is for cleaning out the exhaust flues under the oven. Make sure they are vacuumed and brushed clean.

There's more about how ranges work in the Cookin' With Coal thread here.
Cookin' With Coal

Paul

jijarine

Post by jijarine » Sat. May. 23, 2020 11:17 pm

Thank you for the information. I will take more photos tomorrow and send them.

jijarine

Post by jijarine » Sun. May. 24, 2020 9:26 am

I have not started cleaning the stove yet, sorry for the mess. Here are some photos of the interior pieces.

Attachments

IMG_1323.jpg
.JPG | 516.9KB | IMG_1323.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg
.JPG | 662.2KB | IMG_1324.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg
.JPG | 496.9KB | IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1326.jpg
.JPG | 604.2KB | IMG_1326.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Nice find--ya got the utility model B--if pix are right. I had one when in Vt. & she was an outstanding old stove--took some scraping, wire-brushing & steel wool on cordless drill but came up real functional & nice. Bread warmer is great. When you get her cleaned up--then you'll be ready to ask some questions & by God, I'm bettin you'll get your answers.--during clean up, you'll pretty well figure out functions. Pix of innards with grate set-up--real impt!!! J, what do ya mean--"WASH"-- ???????????????????????? How the hell do ya wash a stove?? Using professional cleaners I'm guessin you're not real handy. Hell, half, if not more of the fun with these old stoves is the restore. Open fire??? You're kidding right?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”