most plain coal stove I have seen

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 3:49 pm

I have seen a lot of stove designs since I have been trolling for a few years now.
The potbelly style does not interest me, though I am not saying that I don't like them because they at least have some interesting features. I have bought two miniature potbellies (Spark and UMCO 28) when I saw them advertised for an inexpensive price.

These two stoves I recently saw have got to be the most plain design I have seen, for a little more money a person could buy a stove with some interest in the cast, ribbed belly or something. Again, not saying I dislike them, just noting how plain they are.
plain_01717_7wWvQbrF2nD_1200x900.jpg
.JPG | 62.7KB | plain_01717_7wWvQbrF2nD_1200x900.jpg
https://spokane.craigslist.org/atq/d/coeur-alene- ... 05668.html
$150 US or $200 Canadian

plain_00h0h_8XQphYexldV_1200x900.jpg
.JPG | 72.9KB | plain_00h0h_8XQphYexldV_1200x900.jpg
https://greenbay.craigslist.org/atq/d/pound-stove ... 54762.html
$25 US

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 5:47 pm

They are a knockoffs of early laundry stoves. They were never meant to be fancy, just small enough to carry outside for the mess on laundry day, and have a top big enough to hold tubs of hot water at a height women could reach into those big tubes to wash and rinse the laundry. The small firepot was only big enough to do the days work then go out, not meant to be big enough to hold a fire overnight

Some on You Tube assume they are cook stoves, but while they can be used for that, cook stoves of that era were different because they usually had an oven. Remember it was in the days before store bought bread, and pies were a common food because of being easier for storage in pre-refrigerator days and better to travel with before there lots of roadside places to eat. So baking was such a common cooking method that even some expensive heater stoves had an option for an oven on the back.

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 9:02 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 5:47 pm
They are a knockoffs of early laundry stoves. They were never meant to be fancy, just small enough to carry outside for the mess on laundry day, and have a top big enough to hold tubs of hot water at a height women could reach into those big tubes to wash and rinse the laundry. The small firepot was only big enough to do the days work then go out, not meant to be big enough to hold a fire overnight

Some on You Tube assume they are cook stoves, but while they can be used for that, cook stoves of that era were different because they usually had an oven. Remember it was in the days before store bought bread, and pies were a common food because of being easier for storage in pre-refrigerator days and better to travel with before there lots of roadside places to eat. So baking was such a common cooking method that even some expensive heater stoves had an option for an oven on the back.

Paul
Portable?! Now that you mention that, I see by searching the forum you mentioned that before, I must have missed that. Thanks Paul.
So a home owner back in the day would have had a flue pipe they carried out with it?

While searching the forum I was reminded of the tank heater that user jdode posted about in "Vintage Laundry Tank Heater" thread. The two plain stoves I posted pictures of, might they be tank heaters? There are no side or back view pictures posted, and I am not going to ask the sellers.

Here is a stove that I was thinking of with a little more interest in the cast, it that is up for auction, starting bid $25. Probably an original rather than knock off.
CastorNo18_H4200-L203359119.jpg
.JPG | 194.5KB | CastorNo18_H4200-L203359119.jpg

A laundry stove I had seen in North Dakota at the Prairie Village Museum showed it permanently hooked up with cooking utensils on it. (posted in thread "stoves I saw in North Dakota")

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 9:40 am

Possibly G, but up here most of those stoves were used for laundry & it was used outside--WINTER??? who knows probably a wash room like the Amish still have with availability to an outlet pipe wise--hell, why not cook something in the process--killin 2 birds with one stone--whoops, I meant stove!! LOL Yep, that CASTOR is purty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, I'd slowly go to $100.00 if I was interested & it was WAY closer.

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Nov. 25, 2020 10:38 am

In contrast to plain stoves, this seems to be me the most ornate potbelly I have seen so far.
AstorGem_HenryNClark.jpg
.JPG | 66.4KB | AstorGem_HenryNClark.jpg

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Feb. 19, 2021 1:37 pm

fancy pot belly on Facebook Marketplace /item/333027787561846

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 19, 2021 3:26 pm

You see similar with Oak stoves. Some are quite ornate, and some are very plain.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”