Sexton's 1892 Grand Heater

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Mar. 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Scored this gem!
Here are the seller's posted photos, more of my own to come.

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Mar. 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Is there such a thing as a slotted (flathead) screw driver with a squared off point (not tapered) ???
If so, is there a keyword to use to find it? or a particular brand?

All of the bolts on the unit are (no surprise) slot driven, with a very squared slot.
All of my slotted (flathead) screw drivers are tapered at the point.
The bolts I have gotten removed started stripping because the screw driver rides up the slot channel and I think it is because the tapering on the screw driver end.
The most recent screw is now stripped to the point I think I will need to drill it out.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Mar. 12, 2020 2:26 pm

The taper of screw driver blades most often isn't the problem.

Screw driver blades periodically need to be "sharpened" - have the rounded worn edges filed back to being perfectly square. Then they will not round out of a screw slot.

I deal with old rusted screws daily in my auto restoration business. Some so badly rusted that I have to use screwdrivers blades in a 3/8 impact driver to remove them. With properly filed screw drive tips I don't have problems with the blades slipping out of the slot.

Another cause of screw drivers popping out is not having the right size blade for that screw slot. The blade should be as snug a fit as possible, as in, just shy of having to drive it into the slot with a hammer. I have sets of screw drivers filed to fit each size wood and machine screw I have to deal with, up to #24 wood screws used in some early car wooden chassis.

And another cause is rust/crud in the screw slot. You need to scrap it clean by taking the freshly sharpened screw driver blade and drive it sideways along the slot by tapping on it with a small hammer to scrap the slot clean.

Paul

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Fri. Mar. 13, 2020 9:54 am

Congratulations , I wondered what happened to it. Lol

I asked the seller for pictures of the inside and didn't get a response.

Paulie

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Mar. 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Mar. 12, 2020 2:26 pm
The taper of screw driver blades most often isn't the problem.

Screw driver blades periodically need to be "sharpened" - have the rounded worn edges filed back to being perfectly square. Then they will not round out of a screw slot.

I deal with old rusted screws daily in my auto restoration business. Some so badly rusted that I have to use screwdrivers blades in a 3/8 impact driver to remove them. With properly filed screw drive tips I don't have problems with the blades slipping out of the slot.

Another cause of screw drivers popping out is not having the right size blade for that screw slot. The blade should be as snug a fit as possible, as in, just shy of having to drive it into the slot with a hammer. I have sets of screw drivers filed to fit each size wood and machine screw I have to deal with, up to #24 wood screws used in some early car wooden chassis.

And another cause is rust/crud in the screw slot. You need to scrap it clean by taking the freshly sharpened screw driver blade and drive it sideways along the slot by tapping on it with a small hammer to scrap the slot clean.

Paul
Thanks Paul!
I am a desk jockey computer guy, so anything manual is foreign territory to me. That is probably evident from all of the dullard questions I have. The idea that flathead screw drivers need filed occasionally has not been a thought of mine before. I will definitely do that before starting on the next bolt. I must have had some experience in the past with dirt in the slots, cause I always begin by trying to clean out the slot before inserting the driver.

I asked the same question of a coworker who is a handyman on the weekends. One of the things he said reminded me of a youtube video I happened to see just after purchasing a small bottle of Kroil. In it the guy compares penetrating oils and Kroil came last,

I already purchased the bottle, so on the previous bolt I was getting near stripping the head and then began applying Kroil and was able to finish unscrewing it so I still think it was a worthwhile purchase. Perhaps I would have bought one of the other products in that video had I saw it before ordering the Kroil? Anyhow, like in the Youtube video tonight I applied the propane torch to the nut and bottom end of the bolt, and with what remains of the bolt head I was able to unscrew it a little bit with each application, took five torches. I had started with Kroil, but it did not seem to help with this current bolt, and the first two torches vaporized what Kroil was still there.

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Mar. 13, 2020 11:02 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Fri. Mar. 13, 2020 9:54 am

Paulie
Thank you.
I wasn't shopping for another Baltimore heater since I bought the York Belle and Washington 2.
Though I still go out and scrape photos off of ads in case my latest interest in pattern making turns into anything, thinking I might be able to use the photos for ideas / inspirations... really want to find those photos of the Red Cross stove that was advertised around Las Vegas.
I had noticed / learned how so many are waiting and watching for the Latrobe stoves, I was stunned to even see the ad.
Got in touch with him immediately, and offered to buy it with just the photos he posted.
Once I have a few years burning with them I can decide what I want to keep and sell the rest on.
Seller said the house sat vacant for 17 years, I have not gotten the shroud off yet so there may be surprises to come.

Paulie, post pics of the GemA *hint* :angel: *hint*.
Or do you have a blog or website somewhere you already have them posted to?
Was the GemA manufactured by the same company as the Arundel? they seem a little similar to my eye

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Sat. Mar. 14, 2020 8:21 am

by Pauliewog » Fri. Mar. 13, 2020 9:54 am

Paulie

Foolishly I waited 1 day before asking for dimensions. I'm happy it went to a good home.
Leo

gardener

Post by gardener » Sat. Mar. 14, 2020 9:48 pm

LeoinRI wrote:
Sat. Mar. 14, 2020 8:21 am
Foolishly I waited 1 day before asking for dimensions.
I hardly think asking dimensions is a foolish request, but I get what you are saying.
I was / still am concerned about the back side of the heater.
My thought was that since I am interested in pattern making, if it turned out to be a wreck I could one day in the distant future have replacement parts cast for it. Tall order, but that was my reasoning behind committing to purchasing it without more information. Also, I did not see how old the ad was when I emailed the seller, but after I got off the phone with him and looked at the page it flipped from 4 hours old to 5 hours. It was total coincidence I saw it so early. I don't have any alerts set for these on any sites. Oh well, just rambling now its late.
LeoinRI wrote:
Sat. Mar. 14, 2020 8:21 am
I'm happy it went to a good home.
Leo
Thanks!

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 2:35 pm

20200307_203403.jpg

Photo looking down with the mantle, mantle trim and buckle, sliding crown, upper decorative skirt, lower decorative skirt, foot rest all still attached.

.JPG | 649.1KB | 20200307_203403.jpg
Photo looking down with the mantle, mantle trim and buckle, sliding crown, upper decorative skirt, lower decorative skirt, foot rest all still attached.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 2:37 pm

20200311_200129.jpg

Upper decorative skirt removed, just a ledge with bolt holes underneath.

.JPG | 651.3KB | 20200311_200129.jpg
Upper decorative skirt removed, just a ledge with bolt holes underneath.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 2:43 pm

20200315_111011.jpg
.JPG | 1.2MB | 20200315_111011.jpg
Some of the crud that fell out of the stove in the trailer that I swept out, bird skeleton? ... peices of rusty metal flakes.
I can see lots more crud inside the stove.
I need to sift through it to see if any decorative knobs are at the bottom of that pile.

jsmlesotho
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 90
Baseburners & Antiques: Fawcett's New Silver Moon #13 and "New Parlor Heater" Baltimore Heater
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite

Post by jsmlesotho » Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 7:38 pm

I dug a sizable mouse nest from the side flu passage on my Balto. stove. Keep the pictures coming!

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Mar. 18, 2020 10:04 am

jsmlesotho wrote:
Tue. Mar. 17, 2020 7:38 pm
I dug a sizable mouse nest from the side flu passage on my Balto. stove. Keep the pictures coming!
That would be a perfect home for mouse.

20200311_201115.jpg

right side vent door closed

.JPG | 640KB | 20200311_201115.jpg

The right side vent looks clear. Wish I could say that for the left side.

20200311_201107.jpg

right side vent door open

.JPG | 589.2KB | 20200311_201107.jpg

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Mar. 19, 2020 8:20 am

20200316_194340.jpg

lower decorative skirt, has SEXTON'S 18 GRAND 92 HEATER cast into it

.JPG | 360KB | 20200316_194340.jpg
Lower decorative skirt, has SEXTON'S 18 GRAND 92 HEATER cast into it, still attached to the stove. In this photo the possessive apostrophe in SEXTON'S can barely be seen. Also the 18 and 92 are easier to see. Notice the lettering is not raised, rather the outline of the letters are been cut away from the pattern.

20200316_194503.jpg

lower decorative skirt removed and turned over

.JPG | 510.2KB | 20200316_194503.jpg
Lower decorative skirt removed and turned over. The lettering is a negative cast to what would otherwise be a raised front??? Also the font is different from what is on the top side, and some of the letters are not aligned with their counterparts on the top side. No apostrophe is present in the negative cast, there are commas after SEXTONS and after GRAND also in the negative cast which I have not been able to make out on the top side. Note where the two bolt holes are there are legs running the width of the skirt, which I believe are to keep the skirt elevated while attached to the unit. Where the negative cast 92 should be, there appears to be a negative cast 84.

20200316_194622.jpg

close up of the negative cast 18

.JPG | 421.5KB | 20200316_194622.jpg
This is a close up of the negative cast 18, where the leg completely obscures the 1; a negative cast comma after SEXTONS can be seen.

20200316_194632.jpg

close up of the negative cast 84

.JPG | 449.1KB | 20200316_194632.jpg
This is a close up of the negative cast 84, where the leg is partially obscuring the 4; a negative cast comma after GRAND can be seen.

20200316_194642.jpg

view of the unit where the left side of the lower decorative skirt would be bolted on is a cast 18

.JPG | 403.2KB | 20200316_194642.jpg
View of the unit where the left side of the lower decorative skirt would be bolted on is a cast 18.

20200316_194650.jpg

view of the unit where the right side of the lower decorative skirt would be bolted on is a cast 88

.JPG | 607.3KB | 20200316_194650.jpg
View of the unit where the right side of the lower decorative skirt would be bolted on is a cast 88.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Mar. 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Gunsmithing screw drivers are not tapered, but straight.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”