Sexton's 1892 Grand Heater

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Jun. 12, 2020 9:34 am

Ahh! The quote did not show the photo, try again.
question_Resized_20200529_210953.jpg
.JPG | 187.1KB | question_Resized_20200529_210953.jpg
I recall back when I was reading through the threads of this forum, there were mentions of warped parts from over firing.
So what about parts like the two half circle hanging firepot pieces,
if those warped there is hardly any space between them, they would be stuck in place.
In a situation like that, what to do?

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Jun. 12, 2020 9:47 am

In a suspended fire pot stove, the fire pot is trapped between the side walls of the heater. No bolts holding it in place. Take one side panel apart and see if it frees up some.

The fun part is assembly time. Putting 3 or 4 walls together and the fire pot at the same time. You need six hands and a ratchet straps.

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Jun. 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks Arthur.

Many of the parts need welded.
Can anyone recommend some iron welders? (or PM your suggestion if you don't want to respond to the thread)
Also, what prep work should I do prior to contacting anyone? (clean, clean&rust free, clean&rust free&painted)

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Nov. 25, 2020 8:38 am

Last night I found a manufacturer's (J.Kisterbock & Son) 1890 catalog that includes the Sexton's Grand Heater.
Well, I am assuming they are the manufacturer, perhaps they just licensed the manufacture of copies.

available here:
https://archive.org/details/J.KisterbockSonHeatin ... gApparatus

Notable amongst the description:
"In conclusion permit us to state that Mr. S. B. Sexton, Sr., is the inventor and patentee of the original Baltimore Fire Place Heater and the oldest manufacturer of the same."
"One size only, with either square, circular or French frames."
SextonsGrandHeater_JKisterbockSon.jpg
.JPG | 74.1KB | SextonsGrandHeater_JKisterbockSon.jpg

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 25, 2020 10:26 am

Wow is that cool, waiting to see it finished, not so much 🧐

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Nov. 25, 2020 2:10 pm

gardener wrote:
Fri. Jun. 12, 2020 9:34 am
Ahh! The quote did not show the photo, try again.

question_Resized_20200529_210953.jpg

So what about parts like the two half circle hanging firepot pieces,
if those warped there is hardly any space between them, they would be stuck in place.
In a situation like that, what to do?
A lot of the Baltimore's had a two piece firepot. Since the firepot was considered a consumable item some manufacturers cast them in two pieces to make it easier to replace.

Yours appears to be a two piece pot.

Paulie

jsmlesotho
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 90
Baseburners & Antiques: Fawcett's New Silver Moon #13 and "New Parlor Heater" Baltimore Heater
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite

Post by jsmlesotho » Thu. Nov. 26, 2020 9:47 am

Great find! Always nice to find these and read the manufacturers descriptions of the stove and its components. The "regulating slide", I was 99% sure of its function and now I know for sure.
check open.jpg
.JPG | 183KB | check open.jpg
check closed.jpg
.JPG | 170.7KB | check closed.jpg
My Sexton 1884 is ready to reassemble, just need to find the time. I'll revive that thread when I start the rebuild, probably after Christmas. Happy Thanksgiving!

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Nov. 27, 2020 10:53 am

Pauliewog wrote:
Wed. Nov. 25, 2020 2:10 pm
A lot of the Baltimore's had a two piece firepot. Since the firepot was considered a consumable item some manufacturers cast them in two pieces to make it easier to replace.

Yours appears to be a two piece pot.

Paulie
I thought I had seen somewhere a firepot that was like a linkage of many smaller pieces.
Was there a progression away from two halves to multiple smaller pieces? or vice versa?

jsmlesotho wrote:
Thu. Nov. 26, 2020 9:47 am
Great find! Always nice to find these and read the manufacturers descriptions of the stove and its components. The "regulating slide", I was 99% sure of its function and now I know for sure.
check open.jpg
check closed.jpg

My Sexton 1884 is ready to reassemble, just need to find the time. I'll revive that thread when I start the rebuild, probably after Christmas. Happy Thanksgiving!
Excellent Jeremy!
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”