Sexton's 1892 Grand Heater

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 3:33 pm

I was wondering who got this one because by time i contacted the seller you were coming by the next day! This Baltimore heater market is real quick huh?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 4:29 pm

You betcha D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Cdon2948 wrote:
Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 3:33 pm
I was wondering who got this one because by time i contacted the seller you were coming by the next day! This Baltimore heater market is real quick huh?
Yes, at least from what I have seen. It was just coincidence that I saw the ad soon after it was posted. When I saw it it said four hours old and after I got off the phone it just switched to five hours old. I don't think Craigslist alerts work that fast, unless they are scheduled tasks and a offer is posted just before that task. I took a risk with it with just the sellers photos, he did not have any more info than what was in the advert. Seller said his phone was getting a lot of calls since I called, I am guessing I was first then.

Still working on getting the two screws out that are holding the shroud on. I can see at least one piece is broken beneath it. Based on photos Jeremy sent me of his, that one piece I think it can be welded or recast. I am assuming the worst for the rest though, that way everything is a bonus.

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 5:28 pm

gardener wrote:
Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 4:49 pm
Yes, at least from what I have seen. It was just coincidence that I saw the ad soon after it was posted. When I saw it it said four hours old and after I got off the phone it just switched to five hours old. I don't think Craigslist alerts work that fast, unless they are scheduled tasks and a offer is posted just before that task. I took a risk with it with just the sellers photos, he did not have any more info than what was in the advert. Seller said his phone was getting a lot of calls since I called, I am guessing I was first then.

Still working on getting the two screws out that are holding the shroud on. I can see at least one piece is broken beneath it. Based on photos Jeremy sent me of his, that one piece I think it can be welded or recast. I am assuming the worst for the rest though, that way everything is a bonus.
Im glad it went to a good home, it was a bit too much of a drive for me to go get it to be fair. Going to have her burning in the fall?

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Mar. 31, 2020 9:11 am

Cdon2948 wrote:
Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 5:28 pm
Im glad it went to a good home, it was a bit too much of a drive for me to go get it to be fair.
Thank you!
Cdon2948 wrote:
Mon. Mar. 30, 2020 5:28 pm
Going to have her burning in the fall?
Not likely :cry: Last year we were hit by a tornado. Minor damage to the house, and quickly repaired, though many trees down. Most of my free time is spent on cutting up downed trees. Back when we bought the property, had the twelve large trees in striking distance of the house cut down. I had doubted whether that was a worthy expense, turns out to have been a good choice.

I get 15 minutes every other day to try to work on disassembling the Sexton; assuming no additional distractions 2021/2022 heating season may be the goal. At the moment only the York Belle fits in the basement fireplace. Last year was going to try to hire someone to reface it and raise the firebox opening, but tornado then, and pandemic now makes it unlikely that will get done soon.

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Apr. 02, 2020 8:41 am

Finally got the shroud off. Hopefully further disassembly will move quicker. Its taking up space in the garage that I park seasonal equipment.

The screws came free using a combination of propane torch to the screw head on the outside and miniature locking pliers to hold the nut on the inside of the unit. Between the two nuts/bolts, took about an hour of just trying to get the pliers locked on each nut using one hand.
I see two significant pieces that are broken. I am confident I have all the broken pieces. Hopefully they can be welded back, otherwise the unit will be a display piece. If I get proficient at pattern making, maybe have replacement parts cast.
Resized_20200401_212137.jpeg
.JPEG | 168.9KB | Resized_20200401_212137.jpeg

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. May. 19, 2020 7:56 am

Resized_20200518_191116.jpeg
.JPEG | 170KB | Resized_20200518_191116.jpeg
Resized_20200518_191131.jpeg
.JPEG | 168.4KB | Resized_20200518_191131.jpeg
Resized_20200518_191141.jpeg
.JPEG | 175.3KB | Resized_20200518_191141.jpeg

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. May. 19, 2020 8:13 am

Resized_20200518_192206.jpeg
.JPEG | 119.5KB | Resized_20200518_192206.jpeg
Trying to figure out what next to unbolt. These back corners caught my attention. Opposite corner to what is pictured I heated the nut up to glowing red and the lower half snapped off. The upper half was not coming out, but I did not heat that up directly (yet). I am not surprised, everything on the backside that was under the shroud has more corrosion.

I turned my attention to the corner that is pictured, heated the nut up, but not as glowing red hot. Instead of the bolt breaking in half the whole corner came off. :cry: **SIGH** :cry: There appears to be a sort of patch to the right of the break, and based on the torque of the wrench the break probably began at the lower left nail of the patch.

Thinking ahead to the future, even if I do pursue learning how to make stove patterns, I doubt I would ever be able to make a piece as complicated at this one appears to be.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. May. 19, 2020 8:28 am

Resized_20200518_204715.jpeg
.JPEG | 139.2KB | Resized_20200518_204715.jpeg
After the corner broke, I should have quit, and come back later.
There are a number of long threaded rods keeping the parts together.
The rods have no flattened sides shaved into them.
The rod heads have no slots.

The back center one was heavily corroded, at the bottom there was only a third of the thickness of the rod remaining.
I used the reciprocating saw with the metal cutting blade on low speed and cut it off.

There are two vents along the back side, each with their own long rods holding the vents to the stove. The rods were in decent condition, but the nuts were in a position I felt may do damage if trying to unscrew them does not go well, so I ended up cutting those too.

I ended up freeing the top section, and you can see the cover over the magazine.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. May. 19, 2020 8:56 am

G, Here is something to look into, getting your feet wet first. Couple of
us might see you there.

https://riversofsteel.com/experiences/workshops/m ... workshops/

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. May. 19, 2020 11:08 am

mntbugy wrote:
Tue. May. 19, 2020 8:56 am
G, Here is something to look into, getting your feet wet first. Couple of
us might see you there.

https://riversofsteel.com/experiences/workshops/m ... workshops/
Thanks mntbugy. I have been interested in attending, lacking the free time is keeping me from it.
Going to try to plan for next year.

gardener

Post by gardener » Sat. May. 23, 2020 10:02 pm

boltheads.jpg
.JPG | 329.2KB | boltheads.jpg
Now that I have gone and cut all of these tie rods, I am wonder what they are called.

There are two different type on the stove. Pictured are the heads of both type.
The top one has a straight slot in the top of the head, bottom one is flush. Both have countersunk heads.
Is the top one a "stove bolt" then?
What would the bottom one be called?

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. May. 26, 2020 8:59 am

gardener wrote:
Fri. Mar. 13, 2020 10:48 pm

I asked the same question of a coworker who is a handyman on the weekends. One of the things he said reminded me of a youtube video I happened to see just after purchasing a small bottle of Kroil. In it the guy compares penetrating oils and Kroil came last,

I already purchased the bottle, so on the previous bolt I was getting near stripping the head and then began applying Kroil and was able to finish unscrewing it so I still think it was a worthwhile purchase. Perhaps I would have bought one of the other products in that video had I saw it before ordering the Kroil? Anyhow, like in the Youtube video tonight I applied the propane torch to the nut and bottom end of the bolt, and with what remains of the bolt head I was able to unscrew it a little bit with each application, took five torches. I had started with Kroil, but it did not seem to help with this current bolt, and the first two torches vaporized what Kroil was still there.
I used the Kroil on a few rusted and stuck bolts around the house over the weekend. It worked better than the WD40 I have used in the past. I'm thinking that any penetrating oil is not very useful on fully rusted parts that are completely seized, such as the test that guy does in his youtube video. The few things I applied it to this weekend I could not get any further at unscrewing it by force, then I applied some Kroil and waited an hour, then each unscrewed. I'm thinking that Kroil has not been that helpful on the Sexton because most of the bolts are so rusted and completely seized.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. May. 26, 2020 9:35 am

Nothing beats a drill or the fire wrench.

Your tie rods/ hold downs.
Top one was replaced sometime.
Bottom on is original.

You will need a swedge block to make new original like replacements.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. May. 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Was watching RFDtv one day and an old retired farmer had located a tractor that he wanted so he bought it. The engine was completely locked up. He mixed up some kerosene and tranny fluid, completely filled the engine, then let it sit for a year. I know, that’s extreme, but you have to understand how he was trying to preserve the integrity of the engine. After sitting for a year he was easily able to free up the engine and was able to salvage the engine.

Most people aren’t patient enough to wait a day to or even a few hours to loosen a bolt, let alone wait a year to free up an engine.

I use and buy kroil whenever I can find it. PB Blaster for me has worked no better, or no worse than good ol’ WD-40.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”