Is this stove usable or a decoration?

antiquestovelover

Post by antiquestovelover » Tue. Feb. 18, 2020 7:37 pm

I am considering purchasing the stove in the attached photograph but I need one I can actually use for at least burning wood if not coal. The ornate portions appear to be cast iron but the barrel itself seems to be sheet metal. It is definitely lighter (weight wise) than I expected it to be...the height is approximately 4'. If the stove in the attached photo should only be used as a decoration I would greatly appreciate opinions from the experienced folks on this forum. The stove is a Mountain Oak produced by Great Western Stove Co. I would also like to know approximately when it was made.

Attachments

IMG_2545 copy.jpg
.JPG | 885.6KB | IMG_2545 copy.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 18, 2020 8:52 pm

Barrel looks kinda rough but without pix of inside & sides, rear it'd be hard to give ya an educated answer.

antiquestovelover

Post by antiquestovelover » Sat. Feb. 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Freetown Fred,
Sorry this response took so long. I have uploaded more photos of the inside and outside of the stove. Any information you (or anyone else) can provide would be appreciated!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Not a problem A, life just gets in the way sometimes!! :) Where did ya post the Pix???

antiquestovelover

Post by antiquestovelover » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 9:18 am

Still trying to post pics...

Attachments

IMG_2553.JPG
.JPG | 92.9KB | IMG_2553.JPG
IMG_2554.JPG
.JPG | 128.2KB | IMG_2554.JPG
IMG_2555.JPG
.JPG | 148.8KB | IMG_2555.JPG
IMG_2556.JPG
.JPG | 130.3KB | IMG_2556.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG
.JPG | 127.1KB | IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG
.JPG | 112.4KB | IMG_2551.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 10:08 am

Welcome ASL,

Yup, it's a simple Oak type and it appears usable. Should work fine for wood, but questionable how well it will work with coal.

Having the exhaust exit collar right in the top doesn't help trap and retain heat as well as it could if the exit collar were lower down on the barrel.

That grate does not look like a good one for clearing coal ash without daily having to get down on hands and knees and go poking up through the grate from below to break up any clinkers that might form.

Lining the firepot with ramset type refractory material will help it burn coal better and extend the life of the firepot. That's a fairly simple DIY afternoon project.

Looks like it's at an antique shop. If you haven't bought it yet, and if your thinking of using it with coal, there are much better Oak designs that burn both wood and coal very well.

Paul

antiquestovelover

Post by antiquestovelover » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 10:36 am

Thank you Paul (Sunny Boy)! The intended use would be to augment a furnace heat source...likely wood fueled. I love the look of this little stove - I think it will be perfect in the master bedroom but although I have been an antique stove admirer for years, I have never purchased or used one. This one has a pan that pulls out from the front (I didn't include a pic of that) that sits below the cylinder...I'm assuming that is for ash collection although I have not looked carefully enough to see how the ashes would sift through to it. I did go ahead and purchase the stove (took a chance), I haven't seen many like it out here in the West. Thanks to each of you who responded...I will keep an eye on this forum to learn more! Any suggestions on where to obtain the piping to transition from oval to round and go out through the roof?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 10:58 am

antiquestovelover wrote:
Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 10:36 am
Thank you Paul (Sunny Boy)! The intended use would be to augment a furnace heat source...likely wood fueled. I love the look of this little stove - I think it will be perfect in the master bedroom but although I have been an antique stove admirer for years, I have never purchased or used one. This one has a pan that pulls out from the front (I didn't include a pic of that) that sits below the cylinder...I'm assuming that is for ash collection although I have not looked carefully enough to see how the ashes would sift through to it. I did go ahead and purchase the stove (took a chance), I haven't seen many like it out here in the West. Thanks to each of you who responded...I will keep an eye on this forum to learn more! Any suggestions on where to obtain the piping to transition from oval to round and go out through the roof?
If that model number 116, cast in the skirt, is like many manufactures used - the size of the firepot top diameter- and your going to use wood, I hope you like sleeping in a sauna, because that size Oak stove was often used to heat an entire floor, or small house. :lol:

Yes, that would be the ash pan. And the area it sits in is sometimes called the "ash drawer" (by Glenwood) or "ash pit" by some.

The ashes fall through the grate into the pan. The grate should have some way of attaching a handle to move or "shake" it to help break up and move the ashes through to the pan by gravity. Wood being much easier to do that with than coal.

Paul

antiquestovelover

Post by antiquestovelover » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 11:12 am

Hmmm, good to know that it can heat a small house, lol! I have other buildings on the property and this type/size of stove might be a good option for the ones with occasional use. Thanks again! :D

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 11:15 am

Depending on the circumference size of the oval collar, sometimes regular 6 inch stove pipe can be "squashed" to fit. Some old stoves use a 7 inch circumference oval and you'd need to have a tapered pipe made. My kitchen range has a 7 inch oval and I just made a tapered 7 inch to 6 inch short section using stainless steel sheet metal and rivets, with refractory seam sealer in that joint.

Bryant Stove shop in Maine used to list the tapered pipes on their website. https://www.bryantstoves.com/

You could try contacting them, or some of the other antique stove restoration shops. They often have a sheet metal shop that can make the pipes for them.

Then it's just use regular single wall stove pipe from that tapered pipe to the chimney thimble, as per whatever the fire codes dictate for what your installation situation needs.

Paul

antiquestovelover

Post by antiquestovelover » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 11:40 am

Nice! Thank you again for all the info...that will give me a place to start gathering the things I need to put the stove into use.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 12:07 pm

There ya have it A---straight from the horses mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Well done Paul!! :D
antiquestovelover wrote:
Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 11:40 am
Nice! Thank you again for all the info...that will give me a place to start gathering the things I need to put the stove into use.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 12:45 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 12:07 pm
There ya have it A---straight from the horses mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Well done Paul!! :D

Luckily,.... it came from the right end of the horse that time. :lol:

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 2:56 pm

Antique, your heater is in the 1895ish time period.

There should be a shaker handle nub on the right side of your stove, just under the fire pot.

Here is a similar heater.

Attachments

Screenshot_20200223-145058.png

Missing most of the trim parts.

.PNG | 2MB | Screenshot_20200223-145058.png

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”