Gallia insert

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 11:20 am

it looks to me the exhaust gasses go up over the top of the fire box and down to the oval collar.

i'm not seeing a damper handle to go from direct to indirect mode, is it under the Gallia flap ?

as to a convective loop, i'm not seeing either an air intake or outlet on the front of the stove but, it could be discretely hidden in the decorative castings.

we need many more pics :clap:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 11:22 am

gardener wrote:
Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 9:45 am
I thought Cdon2948 wanted to make their house period correct ???, undo updates that previous owners did to the house, so a stove/insert is more an accessory than for utility. In any case, the picture posted of the house it looks like the chimneys are interior to the floor plan, so even if an insert does not convect into the room as well as a stove, an insert would not be as bad as if the chimney were on an exterior wall. Especially if flue pipe into the flue is sealed off so the hot air in the fireplace heats up the fireplace mass. Though if it were me, being that the fireplace hearths are level with the floor, I would try to make a franklin style work, even if I had to take the legs off, being an older home with tall fireplaces I imagine the flue exit would clear the opening.

New to the forum and coal for that matter.

As for a French antique, I was reading that coal used to be imported by ship into eastern cities until railroads were able to transport coal from the interior mines. Even afterwards there were still imports, but much less. My point, a foreign insert seems reasonable to meet a period correct. Just my ponderings
If period-correct restoration is the only criteria then what was there before ? If that is an unknown than both the import and Baltimore heaters are period correct. So, if heating efficiency is not a factor then it comes down to personal choice of what looks best to the eye of the house beholder.

And yes, many sailing ships delivered coal in the 19th and early 20th century. My first cousin, four time removed was, Captain George Dow, last skipper of the Thomas W. Lawson, the only seven masted schooner ever built. The Lawson was originally built at the height of the coal era to ship coal along the eastern seaboard and the Gulf States. But it turned out to be too big and hard to handle to negotiate harbors, so it was converted to an oil tanker, and wrecked in a storm off the coast of England in 1905.

As I kid I worked in a boat yard that had an oil company next door. Early on, long Island had rail roads into NYC that was a major RR hub. Coal was the major heating fuel in NYC and western Long Island until well after WWI. In the later 1800's, the oil company owner's father had sailed a two masted schooner back and forth from long Island to Boston area delivering coal. That schooner hull was still sitting on the ways next to our boat yard back in the mid 1960's.

Paul

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 11:36 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 11:22 am
If period-correct restoration is the only criteria then what was there before ? If that is an unknown than both the import and Baltimore heaters are period correct. So, if heating efficiency is not a factor then it comes down to personal choice of what looks best to the eye of the house beholder.

And yes, many sailing ships delivered coal in the 19th and early 20th century. My first cousin, four time removed was, Captain George Dow, last skipper of the Thomas W. Lawson, the only seven masted schooner ever built. The Lawson was originally built at the height of the coal era to ship coal along the eastern seaboard and the Gulf States. But it turned out to be too big and hard to handle to negotiate harbors, so it was converted to an oil tanker, and wrecked in a storm off the coast of England in 1905.

As I kid I worked in a boat yard that had an oil company next door. Early on, long Island had rail roads into NYC that was a major RR hub. Coal was the major heating fuel in NYC and western Long Island until well after WWI. In the later 1800's, the oil company owner's father had sailed a two masted schooner back and forth from long Island to Boston area delivering coal. That schooner hull was still sitting on the ways next to our boat yard back in the mid 1960's.

Paul
Paul,
The original mantle was destroyed sometime in the 1960s and im not lucky enough to have any interior photos. Most similarly aged local upper middle/upper class homes ive been in have marble rococo style mantles with coal basket inserts. So at this point it is all up to my personal preference. I would honestly take either one but Baltimore heaters seem to be so rare that i'll be waiting years before i get anything in if I do that.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 12:13 pm

I understand the challenges and limits of restoration very well - I worked in the third largest museum system in the country for 9 years, and the last 40 years historic restoration has been my business.

And I own a Queen Ann that had been home and office to the local coal dealers,..... also with a fireplace. But the fireplace was a later addition, that they built much larger than usual and went with a colonial look mantel, with a working fireplace crane. Even though there were several coal stoves piped to the two other chimneys.

The Italianate Victorian next door was built for a local Judge. The front parlor still has the curved top cast iron face plate of a coal basket, but the basket and guts were removed years ago and the opening sealed off with a black painted sheet metal cover. It would be perfect for a Baltimore heater to replace what was there.

Have you tried asking member Paulie if he knows of any Baltimore heaters ? He seems to have a skill at finding them.

Paul

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 12:13 pm
I understand the challenges and limits of restoration very well - I worked in the third largest museum system in the country for 9 years, and the last 40 years historic restoration has been my business.

And I own a Queen Ann that had been home and office to the local coal dealers,..... also with a fireplace. But the fireplace was a later addition, that they built much larger than usual and went with a colonial look mantel, with a working fireplace crane. Even though there were several coal stoves piped to the two other chimneys.

The Italianate Victorian next door was built for a local Judge. The front parlor still has the curved top cast iron face plate of a coal basket, but the basket and guts were removed years ago and the opening sealed off with a black painted sheet metal cover. It would be perfect for a Baltimore heater to replace what was there.

Have you tried asking member Paulie if he knows of any Baltimore heaters ? He seems to have a skill at finding them.

Paul
I will ask him for sure then. Do you have any photos of your house you would be willing to share? I'm the guy that goes on zillow to look at old home interiors. We almost bought an 1891 queen anne built by a well known local architect but the seller and realtor didnt winterize it and the hot water radiators burst it was borderline criminal negligence. It absolutely ruined the woodwork, the ceilings were coming down, mold started to grow and the parquet floor was all discolored and trashed.

Georgelap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3720A, Buderus Juno
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oscar- oil boiler

Post by Georgelap » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 4:38 pm

Cdon2948 wrote:
Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 12:48 pm
In my hunt for baltimore heaters I spoke with a local antique deslee friend of mine and he gave me a lead for one, well it turns out the stove is a Gallia insert. The exterior looks in great shape and from what I can tell the interior is decent as well. Any experience with european made inserts? I didn't find any others in a forum search.
Your stove is a typical French insert from the 20s and it is in perfect original condition!
Model "Gallia" was produced from the famous French factory called "Faure Revin".
It is a fantastic little stove and can easily heat a large room (a living room for example).
I have a similar design stove (deville DPF 600) from another French manufacturer of this era and I use it as my primary source of heat.

If you buy this beauty, try the larger sizes of anthracite (it burns strictly anthracite) for example stove coal... and don't forget to fill it to the top upper door.
Personally I burn 30/50mm anthracite and I think it has the same size as the American "stove coal".

Feel free to ask me anything about these type of heaters. I actually have two :D.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 4:58 pm

now we are getting somewhere. thanks Georgelap !!

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 11:16 am

Georgelap wrote:
Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 4:38 pm
Your stove is a typical French insert from the 20s and it is in perfect original condition!
Model "Gallia" was produced from the famous French factory called "Faure Revin".
It is a fantastic little stove and can easily heat a large room (a living room for example).
I have a similar design stove (deville DPF 600) from another French manufacturer of this era and I use it as my primary source of heat.

If you buy this beauty, try the larger sizes of anthracite (it burns strictly anthracite) for example stove coal... and don't forget to fill it to the top upper door.
Personally I burn 30/50mm anthracite and I think it has the same size as the American "stove coal".

Feel free to ask me anything about these type of heaters. I actually have two :D.
Can you tell me how the exhaust vents? Is it direct draft or is there some sort of system in place? Anything finicky about the stoves operation I should know, or is it pretty much fill her up and let her burn for 12 hrs type of deal?

Cornelius

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 11:44 am

Good Lord C--buy er, fill er up & let er go!!! That's the only way you are going to see it work!! She's real purty & others that have similar are REAL impressed with them--BUT--they're not you. :) If ya don't like, ya can always re-sell. There is a market out there. If I remember correctly--YES my buddy did get 12hr burns

Georgelap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3720A, Buderus Juno
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Oscar- oil boiler

Post by Georgelap » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Cdon2948 wrote:
Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 11:16 am
Can you tell me how the exhaust vents? Is it direct draft or is there some sort of system in place? Anything finicky about the stoves operation I should know, or is it pretty much fill her up and let her burn for 12 hrs type of deal?

Cornelius
Hi!
This stove it is not direct draft.
The fresh air comes from the ash pan holes, then the largest amount of air passes throw the burning coal bed to keep the fire burning...a small percentage bypasses the burning coals throw the gap between the front teeth grill and the large door. Τhis bypass plays the secondary air role.
Then, the gasses come to the front mica window and separate to the two small holes at the sides of the door opening. The next stage is to run between the outer enamel cast iron and the inner "coal magazine" to reach the rear oval opening.
Please forgive my poor English :angel:

George

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Tue. Feb. 18, 2020 6:35 am

Hi, Just thought I would put my 2cents in . I restored a French stove which had similar firepot , the way I see it is that the coal is kept away from the mica windows by the firepot fingers. you simply start with paper/ kindling then add your fuel ( I use smokless as I live in the uk 🇬🇧 . It’s easy to fabricate a oval / round adapter to fit the rear of your stove . If yours is anything like mine it gives out a constant heat so enjoy . This is mine , a couple of before/ after pics .

Attachments

21316FDB-1CDF-4F5C-B52F-1215657D1E2F.jpeg
.JPEG | 966KB | 21316FDB-1CDF-4F5C-B52F-1215657D1E2F.jpeg

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 9:09 am

So just waiting for the old tax return then. I think an opportunity for such an insert is fairly rare here in the states.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 9:24 am

I like that Wal has his insert setup so that it is out of the fireplace instead of half buried in it. That way the entire rear side of it can also shed heat into the room. A nice compromise of space saving verses heat radiating ability.

Paul

Wal

Post by Wal » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 11:48 am

Just thought I’d mention that the fireplace is a mock up . There is no brick fireplace chimney . When I was altering the back bedroom I thought it would be romantic to have a fire glowing for when friends or family came to stay over . I picked up the oak surround and cast iron insert from someone local , bought stone slabs to make the hearth , knocked a hole thru the wall and fitted twin wall stainless flue pipe up the side of the house ( all up to code ) . Looks original to the period of the house and my friends ( and more importantly my wife ) love it .

Wal

Post by Wal » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 11:51 am

Oh - and the cat 🐱 too 🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”