Air bubbles in glass

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 9:54 am

Has anyone else had this happen to their glass?

1C7539D5-DF5F-4DAE-A042-AC61ABACA487.jpeg
.JPEG | 103KB | 1C7539D5-DF5F-4DAE-A042-AC61ABACA487.jpeg

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 10:52 am

Is it air bubbles or ash behind the glass? Wad up a news paper and scrub the inside glass with it to be sure. If it’s ash it will wipe of.

Could be etching of the glass also. I recently read where coal fly ash that remains on the glass can etch the glass because of the acids in the fly ash. If that is the case it should be cleaned off frequently.

Every time I reload and tend I wipe my glass with newspaper and it’s habit now. Glass is staying much cleaner also. Most of the ash I get on the glass is from shaking. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don’t and I haven’t quite figured out what I’m doing that causes it to get on the glass. One thing is leaving the door spinners open, so now I leave them shut. Apparently there is one more cause or two.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 11:54 am

I try and clean my glass in the morning and at night, it helps to keep the glass stay clear, I also put on a polish / glass cleaner to help, so far the this year the glass has stayed clear and clean, my wife says I’m obsessed 🤣🤣🤣🤣 ! It is nice to be able to see the fire 🔥

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 1:00 pm

I took a razor to the inside and it was smooth. I’m guessing it’s etched in the glass.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 2:01 pm

BostonBob wrote:
Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 11:54 am
I try and clean my glass in the morning and at night, it helps to keep the glass stay clear, I also put on a polish / glass cleaner to help, so far the this year the glass has stayed clear and clean, my wife says I’m obsessed 🤣🤣🤣🤣 ! It is nice to be able to see the fire 🔥 2AC6A587-BA26-47DF-8767-A8BC401EF258.jpeg
I have some Rutland glass cleaner. Worked wonders getting creosote off of the glass after the test burn.

Are you using it on a hot glass? Warm glass? I mean, if you are, how long are you letting the glass cool before using it?

I've not used anymore of it because the glass is so hot and takes so long to cool with the doors open. Also, wasn't sure how the cleaning agent would act on warm or hot glass.

Obviously, I would not put it on hot glass for fear of cracking it. I would let it cool at least some, but it's only going to cool so much.

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 5:12 pm

I try and let it cool as long as I can and do small spots at a time so it really doesn’t dry on the glass, kinda like waxing a car

Seagrave1963
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace

Post by Seagrave1963 » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 5:32 pm

I learned the hard way to not use glass cleaner with ammonia (e.g. Windex, etc.). The "glass" is actually ceramic and ammonia degrades the ceramic. After replacing the ceramic panel a few years ago, I've used the Rutland Glass Cleaner (LOL -even it says glass) and the panel looks as good as the first day it was installed.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 6:33 pm

Thats probably just crazing on the glass caused by heat. Almost unavoidable and until it gets real bad is fine to use.

Ive used real fine steel wool for cleaning, vinegar, (the true clean anything ingredient) water, whatever works.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Ya left out the orbital sander W. Trust me, I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 3:30 am

Hi , I’ve found on my coalbrookdale Severn stove I use a soft paper 🧻 towel with a small amount of washing up liquid squirted on it . Wipe the inside of the glass when it’s cold , then wipe off with another clean piece of paper towel . Works for me and leaves the glass sparkling clean .

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 5:44 am

A big + 1--------------------------
warminmn wrote:
Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 6:33 pm
Thats probably just crazing on the glass caused by heat. Almost unavoidable and until it gets real bad is fine to use.

Ive used real fine steel wool for cleaning, vinegar, (the true clean anything ingredient) water, whatever works.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 6:48 am

I wonder if I person could cover the glass with some sort of metal screen or SS sheet metal with tiny holes drilled in it to reflect some of the heat away from the glass?

Burning coal, unlike wood, the glass doesn’t really get a chance to cool down and if it crazed and over time ruins the glass...well...that is not acceptable to me. I don’t want to be paying for glass all the time and I like being able to see what’s going on. The old wood stove I just removed the glass had been broken and metal plates where the glass used to be. Easy enough to learn to run it without glass, but glass spoils you and I really like it.

Time to figure out a way to improve the Hitzer air wash sounds like to me.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 7:12 am

YEP---what the hell does HITZER know??? You show em H--- LOL putting anything over the glass would kinda defeat the visual, ya think??? God knows how ya love them thar useless blue ladies!! It's a crap shoot keeping the/any glass from crazing. double LOL Ya do have suggestions to check out. If ya leave the glass door open long enough, it'll cool enough--remember to open MPD if ya try it. :)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 7:34 am

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 7:12 am
YEP---what the hell does HITZER know??? You show em H--- LOL putting anything over the glass would kinda defeat the visual, ya think??? God knows how ya love them thar useless blue ladies!! It's a crap shoot keeping the/any glass from crazing. double LOL Ya do have suggestions to check out. If ya leave the glass door open long enough, it'll cool enough--remember to open MPD if ya try it. :)

Thanks for a morning chuckle!

Dont fret much over it. It takes years to get bad enough to need replacement. Just the nature of the beast. I dont think Hitzer glass costs that much to replace. My Efel came with those thin strips Europe stoves use and I was not crazy about them, bought a new full glass, custom cut as an odd size, large piece, delivered I think was about $100.

I guess if your REALLY worried about it, with some stoves, Hitzer included, an extra whole door with glass installed could be bought and you could switch them out while hot. Then you could have a really clean window all the time.... and an extra window for when you drop one of them carrying it outside to clean it ;) :lol:

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 7:43 am

The absolute way to keep the glass clean would be to remove it and put in a metal plate for burning season and reinstall in the off season :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”