Air bubbles in glass

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 9:04 am

INDEED B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 9:15 am

take 2 lengths of allum. foil about 4 inches longer than the door frame is wide. lay them one on the other and fold along the long edge about 2 inches, twice.

open mpd, lift off door, cover opening with foil and kind of crimp it around the frame. draft will hold it there, and you can close the mpd mostly back to where it was to keep the fire going as it was.

let glass cool, clean, reinstall.

the more often you apply damp cloth or whatever to hot or pretty warm ceramic the more it will craze.

relax grasshopper, or you're going to drive yourself into running the furnace out of frustration.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 9:26 am

I’m not complaining, just joining the conversation. My glass is fine so far...and I’m loving it. Only wish I could see the flames of wood burning all the time...only by burning coal instead. What??? Nothing wrong with wanting cake and getting to eat it. Lol!!!

Good idea on the foil. Was thinking about it this morning. Had an idea to make a metal plate to put in place so I can take the doors off. Sometime I may try the foil for a while and see how it works, then maybe consider making the plate. Currently no need, glass is fine. Cleaning any ash with dry newspaper is doing just fine.

Furnace!! What furnace??? That’s a cuss word around here now. Lol!!! Especially to Becky and Levi.

Wood or coal...regardless whether a solid steel front puts off more heat as is debated...most stove owners prefer glass or they wouldn’t be the overwhelmingly most popular stoves sold in either market.

My Hitzer glass is doing pretty good thus far, but I’m constantly keeping the ash off of it on purpose.

I’m not so sure it’s the heat rather than the acids from the ash anyway. Might even be as Steve suggested, using a cleaner on warm or hot glass causing it, I don’t know. Heck, this ol’ coal stove is running way cooler to heat my house than my wood stove ever did. Never could place my hand on the hearth behind the wood stove and keep it there, but I can with this coal stove.

I can literally place my hand on that wall directly behind the center of the stove and leave it there as long as I wish. Goofball on another site had the nerve to tell me install wasn’t to code. Really! No kidding!! As if I didn’t already know. However, I told him no code replaces common sense. Meaning, with a wood stove that wall was always hot to the touch...I mean hot!! Which is the worse hazard, hot or cool? Can’t fix stupid...can’t even patch it.

If the picture below isn’t convincing enough I can provide one with my hand on the wall. Shoot...the Labrador even went behind the stove the other day and the wife panicked and went after her. I laughed and told the wife that dog has enough sense not to go where it’s too hot...leave her alone or let her learn on her own. Never even fazed her. Lol!

This shot is behind the pipe. It’s about 110-125F directly behind the stove. I think that last photo is supposed to be showing 311F just over the doors.

If by keeping the ash cleaned off my glass, and it never crazes, then I look forward to getting a new stove with an even bigger glass.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 9:54 am

Oh NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're just getting this stove figured out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't ya remake the door for bigger glass???????????????????? LOL

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 10:33 am

It's not easy to measure because IR guns tend to read through glass rather than read glass surface temps,.... but,.... since uncoated clear glass is such a poor insulator, and glass is better at passing certain wave lengths of the heat spectrum than metal, I don't think it matters much if the door is glass or steel.

Paul

DENNIS BAUER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 12:07 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 7:34 am
Thanks for a morning chuckle!

Dont fret much over it. It takes years to get bad enough to need replacement. Just the nature of the beast. I dont think Hitzer glass costs that much to replace. My Efel came with those thin strips Europe stoves use and I was not crazy about them, bought a new full glass, custom cut as an odd size, large piece, delivered I think was about $100.

I guess if your REALLY worried about it, with some stoves, Hitzer included, an extra whole door with glass installed could be bought and you could switch them out while hot. Then you could have a really clean window all the time.... and an extra window for when you drop one of them carrying it outside to clean it ;) :lol:
This is what I do, I have 2 full doors for the 50-93 and the 30-95. Clean the cool one, put it on the stove. Let the hot one sit until it needs to be swapped out again. I normally swap out a day or so before a big cool down like whats coming this weekend. I like seeing the stove run hard.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 12:09 pm

Only for lookin through Paul--LOL Indeed D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :what: ;)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 1:03 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 12:09 pm
Only for lookin through Paul--LOL Indeed D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :what: ;)
Seeing adds to that warm feeling. ;)

And watching the Blue Ladies dance is better for the mind than what is on TV. :lol:

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 3:07 pm

I miss being able to see my fire full view. I enjoyed burning stove sized as that looked like charcoal burning, only prettier. But even nut looks nice burning.

Dennis, I knew at least a couple people here did that and it does make sense.

Jeanie
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand Fed Coal Stove Hitzer 983.
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal and stove coal.
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by Jeanie » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 1:03 pm
Seeing adds to that warm feeling. ;)

And watching the Blue Ladies dance is better for the mind than what is on TV. :lol:
Ihave a 983 Hitzer. Love seeing the blue ladies dance, I have replaced my glass twice now. I'm sure they became hazed because I didn't let them cool enough before cleaning the ash off of them.

TV sucks, I don't care for it at all. Love reading about all my buds here on the anthracite coal forum. I started from scratch learning how to heat with my Hitzer. You guys have taught me so much. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 3:31 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 3:07 pm
I miss being able to see my fire full view. I enjoyed burning stove sized as that looked like charcoal burning, only prettier. But even nut looks nice burning.

Dennis, I knew at least a couple people here did that and it does make sense.
My original reason was in-case the glass broke in the middle of the night for some odd reason or something done wrong by me. but then I found the benefit of cleaning the glass.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 3:37 pm

I hear ya, Jeanie, !
My life got better when I got rid of cable.

Considering how often we hear about tempered door glass breaking, I think Dennis Bauer's having a spare door to swap right on is a very good idea. Not just for safely cleaning the glass, but for quick replacement so that the stove is not out of action until the glass can be replaced. If I had one of those stoves, I'd see about keeping a spare door. :yes:

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 4:03 pm

Hey Jeanie,

Is that 983 free standing? I know they make them that way. If so, it’s the first one I’ve known of on this forum, though there could be more I don’t know about.

Ain’t that puuuuuurdy!!! Lol!!

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 5:11 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 3:37 pm
I hear ya, Jeanie, !
My life got better when I got rid of cable.

Considering how often we hear about tempered door glass breaking, I think Dennis Bauer's having a spare door to swap right on is a very good idea. Not just for safely cleaning the glass, but for quick replacement so that the stove is not out of action until the glass can be replaced. If I had one of those stoves, I'd see about keeping a spare door. :yes:

Paul
I've only had glass break 3 times. Once when I was a kid the glass on the wood stove just cracked, no real reason. I once had a piece of tempered from a fire place insert shatter when the fire was a little to intense (later learn that the glass was only to be closed when the fire was not running). 3rd time I hit the one in the garage with the jack handle when after I jacked up the car.

Enough times where it's worth it to me to have a complete door set up and ready to go.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 11, 2020 5:26 pm

I had one of the glass doors of my fireplace explode inward.

It's a large fireplace with an opening 4 feet wide and three feet tall. The only door set I could find that large are four glass sections to the doors in thin brass frames. Had a good size fire going on a very cold night. I closed the doors to get ready to go to bed. The draft-created pressure difference was great enough that it bent the doors inward until one panel exploded and relieved the pressure.

When I found out what it would cost to replace that one piece of tempered glass I stopped using the fireplace instead.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”