color schemes

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 8:27 am

I have noticed that on free standing stoves and inserts the only color schemes I have seen are black stove paint / polish with mostly nickel trim and some copper or gold trim. The only exceptions I can recall are the GemA insert Paulie has in hand to work on for one of his customers, and some oak stove with what looks like red enamel paint that is probably for display only.
redPremium.jpg
.JPG | 104.4KB | redPremium.jpg
I had seen a black and white photo of a pot belly stove that was white in the middle section until I realized it is probably just the stove polish burned off from the heat. I am least fond of the cannon style, but with the two tone look it was much more appealing.

I have seen many ranges that had a variety of paint schemes, often enamels.

I thought I found some examples of free standing stoves when I came across these in a Craigslist posting, yikes!
but whomever they are they turned these into liquor cabinets, then nice paint schemes:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/atq/d/little-f ... 77350.html
00m0m_9mzYCBH9Aqs_1200x900.jpg
.JPG | 151.1KB | 00m0m_9mzYCBH9Aqs_1200x900.jpg
00Y0Y_loePsIuIu20_1200x900.jpg
.JPG | 91.7KB | 00Y0Y_loePsIuIu20_1200x900.jpg
There are quite a number of color options in high temperature stove paints, I imagined there might be a picture of someone's antique stove that has something other than stove black, and being used as a stove. Perhaps the variety of stove paints marketed to modern stove owners?

Donb
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning
Coal Size/Type: Nut in both
Other Heating: Propain

Post by Donb » Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 9:06 am

Black radiates more heat than white or any other ‘color’ for that matter. Flat black is the best.

That’s why you will not see a white radiator in an automobile.
Don

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 9:28 am

I believe the lack of colors on these stoves is due to the high heat conditions the paint is exposed to. The ones that are shown above I don't believe get used for heat, but decorations only. Our member Randy had a stove years ago, that he painted some details on the scrolling cast into his stove. I don't remember what brand it was, but he did an excellent job with it. I have often thought about painting the areas on my G111 around the doors, and high lighting the emblems for the lettering, but as of yet, I haven't made the time. I'm on the fence with taking away the originality of the stove, on the other hand, it's only paint, and can be repainted back to black. I've seen a lot of cook tops with colors on them, and they look nice. All in what you like, I guess.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Mar. 24, 2020 9:24 am

I found this emissivity table.
https://www.thermoworks.com/emissivity-table
The paragraph above the table talks about flat black being the most efficient at radiance.
One of the entries shows a rather high value for "other" colors:
Paint, oil: average of 16 colours 0.94
other than the "oil" in the description, still wondering how less efficient other non-black high temperature stove paints are.
I have not searched that hard, but of the high temperature stove paint manufacturers so far I have not found anything.
Are the high temperature stove paints a silicone product? ... so this "Paint, oil" is not an indication of non-black high temp stove paints

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Apr. 27, 2020 11:18 am

joeq wrote:
Fri. Jan. 24, 2020 9:28 am
Our member Randy had a stove years ago, that he painted some details on the scrolling cast into his stove. I don't remember what brand it was, but he did an excellent job with it. I have often thought about painting the areas on my G111 around the doors, and high lighting the emblems for the lettering, but as of yet, I haven't made the time. I'm on the fence with taking away the originality of the stove, on the other hand, it's only paint, and can be repainted back to black.
I have thought that looks nice, and it can easily be undone if later you lose interest.

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Apr. 27, 2020 11:25 am

Saw this one recently, https://pueblo.craigslist.org/atq/d/pueblo-antiqu ... 57483.html
I am not sure the color really adds that much to the flare of the stove, the design is so nice already, but the color scheme seems nicely contrasted (dark red as opposed to some bright color).

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Apr. 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Yeah, I like it too. Tastefully done. Wonder how it'll hold up to heat? Wonder if it'll ever have coal burning in it?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Apr. 29, 2020 9:44 am

Thermolux offers stove paints in colors and they can be mixed. http://www.stovepaint.com/

They are all rated at 1200F. And yes, they are silicone based to with stand the high heat.

"This fast drying, long lasting, heat resistant silicone coating withstands intense heat up to 1200F and resists blistering, peeling or flaking. It is an exceptional protective finish for numerous metal items that become hot while in use. Thurmalox Stove Paint enhances stoves and stovepipes, fireplace andirons, screens and grates, barbecues, gas grills and hibachis."

If a different look is what you want, the difference in radiating ability of the colors is likely not much trade off for having the color(s) you want.

I switched to only using Thermolux on the exhaust systems of my restorations because autoparts store exhaust paints did not hold up as well.

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. May. 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Saw this one on Craiglist,
any ideas what they did to it?

It does not look like there is any paint on it.

blued00D0D_6acOqjqI7gM_1200x900.jpg
.JPG | 95.7KB | blued00D0D_6acOqjqI7gM_1200x900.jpg

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. May. 12, 2020 3:01 pm

I kind of like that. A can and a half Round Oak.

Looks like polished metal with a copper or brass jacket.

Missing foot rest and chest plate.

Edit: someone put it together wrong!

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. May. 12, 2020 4:42 pm

I think they were trying to copy the Stewart that Scott built. ;)

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Wed. May. 13, 2020 3:19 am

Hi , It looks to me like the cast iron has been polished with graphite .

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. May. 13, 2020 6:55 am

The silver looks like nickel plating over a sandblasted finish, sometimes called a "mill finish" - meaning it's been sandblasted clean but not polished before plating. There are still some plating shops that do that to try and mimic what used to be called "Butler Silver", a plating finish that was common in expensive autos in the later 20's and early 30's.

The barrels look like they are either made from sheet brass, or steel that's been brass plated.

If it is, that'll be quite a job to polish it all and keep it clean of tarnish.

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. May. 13, 2020 7:00 am

No problem if you've just got them sittin around lookin PURTY!!! :)

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. May. 13, 2020 5:28 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. May. 13, 2020 7:00 am
No problem if you've just got them sittin around lookin PURTY!!! :)
LOL. Yeah, like most of the restored collector cars, sitting under covers, in A/C garages, that never see the light of day. Simply criminal.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”