Range names and sizes

oldschoolhouse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sun mogul 295 laundry stove
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Treasure 12
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by oldschoolhouse » Fri. Dec. 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Hello all! The wife, cat and I are keeping toasty warm with the Crawford Treasure 12, burning Lehigh stove coal up here in Maine. I have a question about ranges. I know some of the popular ranges that were produced such as the Crawford castle village and fortress, the Glenwood K, Queen and princess atlantic, shipmate 212, and 450, which I cook on when I'm at work during the summer (burning wood, I can't convince the owner/Captain to let me rebuild the stoves and burn coal), and Home comfort. But as I'm cruising the classifieds I see all sorts of different Ranges with strange to me names. I just saw a Victory Crawford on craigslist and haven't heard of that one yet. Does anyone have a detailed list of popular ranges categorized by size? I know the Princess Atlantic is smaller than the queen atlantic, but i'd like to know the differences between them, specifically the Glennwood, Crawford, Atlantic and the Dowajac Round oak stoves. You all have been a great source of information and I thank you all for your inputs and information to come!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 15, 2019 7:43 pm

I'm surprised no-one has commented. I'm sure you know back in those days, there were suppossibly hundreds (?) of stove manufacturers across this country. Some being more popular than others. As for ranges, have you tried asking in the "cooking with Coal" category of this site? Lots of knowledge over there with those ranges.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 8:04 am

To my knowledge, no one has ever compiled a list of range names and sizes. As mentioned, there have been many stove manufacturers. Considering that there were so many stove manufacturers, and that they often produced many models, that may number well into the thousands.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”