Pot belly stove

Mikem1020
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Victory 14
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Mikem1020 » Sun. Dec. 01, 2019 11:43 pm

Hello I am new here and I'm looking for someone general information on my pot belly stove. I just installed it in my barn I'm looking for any information, tips on running and years they where made and if it's a good stove or not. all that is on the stove is victory 14 it's not a big one it has a single top lid, 6" pipe outlet, a sliding front feed door and a large ash door on bottom with a round twist style air vent please let me know if you have any information thank you !!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 02, 2019 8:26 am

Welcome, Mike.
There were many pot belly stoves made that are now antiques. And many not-so-old repro imports that tend not to be as well made as the antiques.

Pictures of your stove would help us, help you.

Paul

Mikem1020
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Victory 14
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Mikem1020 » Fri. Dec. 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Hi thank you for the welcome and reply !! So for pictures I do have a few but I think I messed up when I tried to add some it asked permission for something and I denied it and now I can't fix it I am on here through my phone . So I think the stove is an original every part of it has where it's made in PA. but no date of any kind .I have been trying it out for a bit now and am having a hard time keeping it going over night I put in a damper in the pipe and have been closing it and leaving the bottom vent open I'm going to try switching that Tonight and see what happens I'm just worried about the pipe getting too hot it's at 500 degrees not and has been holding there for over an hour so I'll see how it goes!!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 9:21 am

When you post from your phone just click “full editor editor and preview”...

...then click “attachments”

...then click “add files”

...then choose where from you phone you want to get the pictures from...usually from your photo library.

Once you have the photo chosen, then choose whether to add it as a “thumbnail” or “inline”....inline usually works.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 12:41 pm

If your having trouble slowing the stove down enough to burn through the night, some pot belly stoves have poorly fitting ash doors and dampers. With too much air getting in under the grates it'll be tough to get it to slow down.

While the stove is running, check the ash pan floor and sides, plus the base of the firepot, for any cracks, or leaking seams, by passing a smoldering string closely over every seam and see if the smoke gets sucked in.

Check the door fit with the same smoke test. Or, by closing the door on a dollar bill and see if the door grabs it, or the bill slides out easily. If it's lose, find out where the tightest areas are and file/grind them down so that the areas with gaps will close up. Or gasket the door edge.

Is the damper is the sliding type, tighten up the slider handle shaft to get it to close tighter. If it's the spin type, make sure it's closing enough.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”