Building a coal magazine

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Nov. 23, 2019 7:30 am

what is the measurement from the exhaust collar to the front of the stove top ?

I can show you how to make a three layer plate that will mimic the G/6 magazine port.

you may even be able to see it yourself by looking at SB's pics. you just need a plate with a hole whos ID is very close to the OD of whatever you will use for the mag, then centered on that a plate whos hole is very close to the OD of the flange of the mag and finally a plate with a hole that will fit a range cover properly.

these can be welded together then, cut a hole in the stove top just big enough for the mag to pass thru. if you made your plates smaller OD as they go up you will have an area around the lowest one to use as a bolt flange.

using stove sealer and bolting the whole thing down will actually strengthen that cracked stove top, just don't over do the bolt tightening. you can even make your bolt holes oversize of the bolts you use for possible movement between the dissimilar metals, the stove top is cast the mag ring steel.

hope all this works for you,
steve

Iendecker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston 81812
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite

Post by Iendecker » Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Ok, I know this post is 2 years old but I hope someone can answer a question. I'm looking at a globe stove that is missing it's magazine. Can they be run with out? Just adding coal after shaking down?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”