Info. For 1893-1901’s -The Reading Stove Works, Orr, Painter & Co. – Golden Sunshine No.115 Base Burner

stovekress
Baseburners & Antiques: 1893-1901’s -The Reading Stove Works, Orr, Painter & Co. – Golden Sunshine No.115 Base Burner

Post by stovekress » Thu. Aug. 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Hello everybody,

James here - from the coal region of North East Pennsylvania. I was hoping someone could help me out.

I recently came into possession of an old pre-1900’s base burner stove. It was left to my girlfriend, from her father who had passed away several years ago. Theses stoves are new to me; however, I did do an extensive amount of research on it that I will provide below. Any additional information you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I am at a standstill.

I’ve attached pictures and as you can see the stove is in incredible shape (I can get more pictures If needed). Everything seems to be in working order and nothing appears to be broken. I am unsure if it was refurbished but all the parts look original to me. The stove is stamped on the back with “Orr, Painter Co, Reading PA” and on the front with “No. GOLDEN SUNSHINE 115”

From researching over the internet here is all I can find.
Orr, Painter & Co was founded in 1863 but the company became incorporated as “The Reading Stove Works, Orr, Painter & Co.” in 1886 and then in 2002 the company introduced BlueStar line of stoves.

From an article in the “The Metal Worker” dated June 24, 1893 – The Reading Stove Works, Orr, Painter & Co. of Reading PA announces their new lines “among their additions are a new first class circulating base burners and double heater under the name Golden Sunshine”

I was told that the No. 1”15” represents the size of the stove. Meaning 15” inside diameter. And the “1”15 either represents the 1st of the series or the second (meaning the first would have been named Golden Sunshine 15”

In a 1902-1903 The Reading Stove Works, Orr, Painter & Co. catalog I found that similar “Sunshine 215” stove in this size sold for around USD 56.50. The catalog also goes on to state “The Golden Sunshine and Brilliant Sunshine remain the same in price, notwithstanding the improvements which have been added”. This has me to believe that my model also sold for around USD 56.50.

I am not really sure if the red and white glass/plastic originally came with the stove or if it was added after. If it originally came with the stove, then I would assume it would be mica glass. What is the best way to find out what this see-through material is made out of? Also, the light bulbs seen inside were added obviously later for decorative purposes.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could point me in any direction to further my research (I would really love to find this model/year catalog) or if you have any information or knowledge on this item that would be great. I know she plans to sell it in the near future and I want to help her consider her options as it seems to be in truly outstanding condition with amazing colors for its age. If you have any available information on where/how to sell such a large that would also be very helpful.

Thank you
James

Attachments

2.jpg
.JPG | 647KB | 2.jpg
FRONT 9 OPEN.jpg
.JPG | 355.1KB | FRONT 9 OPEN.jpg
1902-1903 Golden Sunshine No. 215.jpg
.JPG | 307.5KB | 1902-1903 Golden Sunshine No. 215.jpg
Back Name Plate.jpg
.JPG | 350.3KB | Back Name Plate.jpg
FRONT 1 - CLOSED.jpg
.JPG | 39.4KB | FRONT 1 - CLOSED.jpg
FRONT 2 - GOLDEN SUNSHINE NO 1158.jpg
.JPG | 367.5KB | FRONT 2 - GOLDEN SUNSHINE NO 1158.jpg
RIGHT SIDE OPEN 1.jpg
.JPG | 400.2KB | RIGHT SIDE OPEN 1.jpg
TOP FRONT 2.jpeg
.JPEG | 67.6KB | TOP FRONT 2.jpeg
INSIDE 1.jpg
.JPG | 433KB | INSIDE 1.jpg
INSIDE 2.jpg
.JPG | 288.2KB | INSIDE 2.jpg
INSIDE DOOR STAMP 5.jpg
.JPG | 396.9KB | INSIDE DOOR STAMP 5.jpg
LEFT SIDE CLOSED 2.jpeg
.JPEG | 58.1KB | LEFT SIDE CLOSED 2.jpeg

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 7:51 am

Excellent! :clap: Beautiful stove! Thanks for sharing all of the details, especially the photos.
stovekress wrote:
Thu. Aug. 22, 2019 10:32 pm
I am not really sure if the red and white glass/plastic originally came with the stove or if it was added after. If it originally came with the stove, then I would assume it would be mica glass. What is the best way to find out what this see-through material is made out of? Also, the light bulbs seen inside were added obviously later for decorative purposes.
It would have originally came with mica for the windows, anything else used for a window would eventually melt or catch fire.
I think I saw in one of the photos three light bulbs in the firepot or ash tray area, so the red plastic was likely meant to give stove a glow as if it were in use, even though it is not in operation. There are many people that have antique stoves on display in their homes and not hooked up.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 9:53 am

gardener wrote:
Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 7:51 am
Excellent! :clap: Beautiful stove! Thanks for sharing all of the details, especially the photos.

It would have originally came with mica for the windows, anything else used for a window would eventually melt or catch fire.
I think I saw in one of the photos three light bulbs in the firepot or ash tray area, so the red plastic was likely meant to give stove a glow as if it were in use, even though it is not in operation. There are many people that have antique stoves on display in their homes and not hooked up.
What gardener said !

If it is plastic, don't use the stove until it's replaced with mica. Save the plastic for the off season.

Some stove owners keep a small light bulb going in the stove to have the bulb's warmth prevent moisture and rust during the warm weather season.

Looks great, either way.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 10:22 am

My Lord!!! That thing is beautiful!

I believe I'd almost rather have something like this than a Glenwood #6. I don't know if their function is any better or worse, but I would just love the amount of light one of those put off.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 10:22 am

I would just love the amount of light one of those put off.
A mica stove makes plenty of light to find the bathroom in the middle of the night and makes it hard to sleep.

Pauliewog or I might be interested in your heater.

stovekress
Baseburners & Antiques: 1893-1901’s -The Reading Stove Works, Orr, Painter & Co. – Golden Sunshine No.115 Base Burner

Post by stovekress » Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 6:45 pm

Thank you everybody for your responses so far. Its amazing how much I learned about these stoves with two weeks of research on the internet. You guys are really a great community.

I will be away this weekend so on Monday I will take some more pictures of the stove. Any recommendations on what type of pictures i should gather next? I want to take more of the inside, back and glass/plastic however is there something that i'm missing that anyone would like to see? Let me know.

Thanks again!
James

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 8:43 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 5:36 pm
A mica stove makes plenty of light to find the bathroom in the middle of the night and makes it hard to sleep.

Pauliewog or I might be interested in your heater.
So you or Pauliewog want my Hitzer...well yeah...I’ll bring right over to either of you. Have a globe stove or #6 ready for me when I get there...I’m all over that. Lol! You just tell me when. Have a funny feeling I won’t hear from either of you. Lol!!!!

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Aug. 24, 2019 7:13 am

Hoytman wrote:
Fri. Aug. 23, 2019 8:43 pm
So you or Pauliewog want my Hitzer...well yeah...I’ll bring right over to either of you. Have a globe stove or #6 ready for me when I get there...I’m all over that. Lol! You just tell me when. Have a funny feeling I won’t hear from either of you. Lol!!!!

I'm not interested in a newer box stove.

Go get your own Globe stove if I don't get there first.

Paulie might have a couple GW 6's.
Bring your savings account check book. Lol!!!

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Aug. 24, 2019 10:11 am

I knew you wasn’t interested. Just having a little fun and trying to figure out what stove you thought I had.😀

Just got my first coal stove and you two are stove poor. Lol!

That Paulie is good people.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Aug. 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sat. Aug. 24, 2019 10:11 am
I knew you wasn’t interested. Just having a little fun and trying to figure out what stove you thought I had.😀

Just got my first coal stove and you two are stove poor. Lol!

That Paulie is good people.
Congrats on finally joining the long, steady heating of coal. :yes:

Now you can change your profile to proudly show it ! :D

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Aug. 27, 2019 1:36 pm

what a wonderful stove !!

imho, the period from 1890 to the 1920's was the absolute heyday for this style of stove and some others. by that time the makers really had taken the art and science of coal burning about as far as it ever got for hand fired units.

before I start a war let me add that stoker boilers are a diff. animal altogether and deserve their own appreciators.

if given the chance many of us here would love to make you an offer. then again, anyone here who has the good fortune to make a deal with you already has a list of contacts that would gladly take it second hand. ;)

stovekress

Post by stovekress » Tue. Sep. 10, 2019 12:45 am

Thank you for all your replies. Everywhere I looked so far this seems to be the most active board.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 9:46 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. Aug. 24, 2019 12:05 pm
Congrats on finally joining the long, steady heating of coal. :yes:

Now you can change your profile to proudly show it ! :D

Paul
Profile changed, Paul. :yes:

stovekress

Post by stovekress » Mon. Sep. 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Hello again everyone,

I will be looking to sell this stove in the next month. Can anywhere point me in the right direction where I should try selling/posting it? I can think of ebay, facebook and craigslist however being a "pickup" item only I might not get the most viewership from those sites.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
James

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Sep. 24, 2019 12:28 am

Hi James,
I sent you a PM.

Paulie

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”