Questions on this stove

BigE556

Post by BigE556 » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 4:51 pm

I recently came into possession of this stove and I know nothing about it. It says Star Herald on the front and O.G. Thomas Taunton mass on the side. I searched for a Star Herald stove and could not find any results. I’m not sure if it’s an old one or a new one. Anything anybody could tell me about it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

1D1B196A-A282-4AA5-884B-469F7E431E41.jpeg
.JPEG | 936KB | 1D1B196A-A282-4AA5-884B-469F7E431E41.jpeg
EED76696-C18B-4F4F-A97B-356E3B755786.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.2MB | EED76696-C18B-4F4F-A97B-356E3B755786.jpeg
1ACE944E-BC09-4165-AC2C-474309AAC733.jpeg
.JPEG | 783KB | 1ACE944E-BC09-4165-AC2C-474309AAC733.jpeg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 8:20 pm

Welcome Big.
Lucky you, you have a Herald "range". Herold was one of the top stove manufacturers in their day. A few of their rare parlor stoves have turned up on this site - yours is the first kitchen range I'm aware of and it's a beauty. Question is,.... is it a wood or a coal stove ? We need to see pictures of the grates to tell the difference.

If you want to know more about what a kitchen range can do, and how to do it, try reading this thread on "Cookin With Coal".

Cookin' With Coal

After reading through that, if you still have questions, we have lots of people with answers. And don't be afraid to ask. Remember, the only "dumb question" is the one that is not asked !!! :yes:

Paul

BigE556

Post by BigE556 » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Thank you very much for the response Paul. I’ll definitely get you some pictures of the grates soon as I can. Anywhere you can point me to finding out more information on it or what it’s worth? It kind of just fell in my lap, my uncle was moving and it was in his basement. He told me if I got it out of there I could have it.

BigE556

Post by BigE556 » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 8:35 pm

I’m also fairly certain that it’s coal, I cleaned out the firebox and there was a ton of coal still in it.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 9:16 pm

BigE556 wrote:
Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Thank you very much for the response Paul. I’ll definitely get you some pictures of the grates soon as I can. Anywhere you can point me to finding out more information on it or what it’s worth? It kind of just fell in my lap, my uncle was moving and it was in his basement. He told me if I got it out of there I could have it.
As you likely know, worth depends on many things.

Overall condition, size, and features such as,... ranges came in different sizes, most notably the size of the oven. Does it have a right hand shelf for additional work space on the cook top, or a water reservoir on that side instead (yours doesn't show either). Is it wood or coal grates ? You can burn wood on a coal grates, but you shouldn't burn coal on wood grates. So coal grates being dual-fuel make it a bit more valuable. Then, there are different designs of coal grates - some work better at clearing ash and clinkers than others.

If yours is all in good working order, no cracks, or missing parts, and it has the better design of coal grates, then about $2800.00 to $3000.00 would be my guess.

I look forward to seeing more pix.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 9:22 pm

BigE556 wrote:
Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 8:31 pm
Ranges from that era (early 1900's) are very similar. The info in that thread on Cookin' With Coal" apllies very much to your range, too. I suggest you read at least the first few pages of that thread as a start to familiarize yourself with the basics of what it is and what it can do. It will answer most of the questions you have for now.

Paul

BigE556

Post by BigE556 » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 9:26 pm

886E206E-AA44-40CF-9091-11A080108078.jpeg

If you zoom in on the left shelf you can see the little square tabs that broke

Will do, thanks again I appreciate it a ton. It does have the shelf that goes on it but the knobs broke. Other than that the only thing I can tell that’s wrong with it is that one of those chrome shelf’s broke and somebody drilled through it and put a new bolt it. Will definitely get those pictures tomorrow
Last edited by BigE556 on Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 9:29 pm

BigE556 wrote:
Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 9:26 pm
Will do, thanks again I appreciate it a ton.
Your welcome. You have beautiful range there. I hope you set it up and enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jul. 02, 2019 5:35 am

Stove *censored*!

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jul. 02, 2019 8:44 am

BigE556 wrote:
Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 9:26 pm
886E206E-AA44-40CF-9091-11A080108078.jpegWill do, thanks again I appreciate it a ton. It does have the shelf that goes on it but the knobs broke. Other than that the only thing I can tell that’s wrong with it is that one of those chrome shelf’s broke and somebody drilled through it and put a new bolt it. Will definitely get those pictures tomorrow
That's wonderful that you still have cooktop and oven door shelves. That's such a rare range that you'd be very lucky to ever find replacements.

Mounting tabs can be welded on and wrong-placed holes can be welded shut. But you need to find someone very experienced at welding cast iron. It's very easy to cause more damage if the welder doesn't know the tricks to dealing with cast iron. If you don't have a cast iron experienced welder locally, consider sending the shelves to one of the stove restoration shops, such as members wilsonswoodstoves ( Wilson Mull - 508-763-8941), or the Antique Stove Hospital. http://stovehospital.com/

At least it still has the oven door "kicker". The foot pedal to open the oven door when your hands are full with bake wear. Those pedals are often broken, or missing.

You might learn more by checking any numbers inside the castings. Often, the stove manufactures at that time used the year that the patterns and the first production run were made as part of the casting part numbers. The range would have been built sometime after that and before the new model was made.

My range is a 1903. Glenwood changed the design in 1905 to a simpler style, so it could have been made in '03 or '04.

Paul

BigE556

Post by BigE556 » Tue. Jul. 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Here’s some pictures of the firebox.

Attachments

E65A437A-732D-446A-9551-380C4AD0FB68.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.3MB | E65A437A-732D-446A-9551-380C4AD0FB68.jpeg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jul. 03, 2019 12:40 am

Ok, that's a "rocker" type grate. It can be used for coal. However, it's not a good design like the two geared and counter rotating type grates - such as those called triangular, dockash, or combo grates. It won't grind up and dump clinkers in the lower area of the firebed. That's something that needs to be done daily, or the clinkers will fuse together, grow larger, and reduce the amount of burning coal, reduce the heat output, and also making it tougher to properly clear ash as needed. Lots of frustration when you can't get all that done well.

You can rock the grate to shake some of the ash. And you can break up and loosen some of the clinkers by poking up through the grates from the ash pan area with a right-angled tip poker sometimes include with coal stoves. But, you'll still likely have to dump the firebed about once every week or two to clear out the clinker build up and then restart the firebed. Where as, if you had the counter rotating type grates then the stove can just be refueled, rotate the grates to the next surface to dump clinkers, shake ash, and kept running nonstop 24/7/365 without need of shut down to clean out and restart the firebed.

Wood will work, but you'll be adding wood every few hours and having to restart the fire every morning. Been there and that gets old.

With nut sized coal, you can easily get 11 - 12 hour burn times in a firebox that size and still have a healthy fire that just needs more coal added and the ashes cleared twice a day. If you are serious about using coal, you can check with stove restoration shops and see if the have a set of geared coal grates for that model.

Being able to properly clear ash and clinkers makes life with a coal stove FAR better. Lived with bad grates in my range for a few years and VERY glad I don't have to anymore. :yes:

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jul. 03, 2019 12:54 am

If your last three pictures are looking in under the grates, then that's where an ash pan goes. With coal it needs to be emptied at least once a day - but only every few days with wood.

That little trap door back in there should be for access to clean out the hot exhaust flues that pass under the oven floor. There might be another trap door on the other end of the range ???? Some ranges have a plate you lift up in the oven floor, others a trap door on the stove front face just below the oven door. The oven flues need to be cleaned out about two or three times a season.

Paul

BigE556

Post by BigE556 » Wed. Jul. 03, 2019 10:11 am

Wow these things are crazy interesting. Thanks so much for your help, I’m excited to see what It can do. I know where to come if I ever need help haha. Thanks again

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Mon. Sep. 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Star herald is the middle of the Herald line. O. G. Thomas made it and they always were a little different than the competition. They are excellent ranges. Your plain grate looks upside down in the photo. The narrow area should e on top.
W3e don't see ,any Star models as most folks bought he huge Model Home size stove. Parts may be a problem in the future so recast the grate now if you can.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”