antique range with electric conversion

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. May. 31, 2019 1:47 pm

subject: antique range, having an electric conversion done

Does anyone have any experience with electric conversions?

It is my understanding that electric conversions does not modify the integrity of the range, and the range could be reverted to coal once a flue installed. Is this correct? ... I am keen on this question, because someday when we renovate the kitchen, would like to have a flue/chimney installed and operate it with coal

We have a modern electric stove now, and there is very little to do besides tell it what temperature you want to bake at, and set a timer.
How would cooking with an antique range with electric elements change the cooking process?

I think we need to get some sort of remote thermostat to put inside the oven to monitor the temperature, if such a thing exists.

Modern stoves, the outer shell is insulated from the oven? whereas an antique range there outer shell is the oven, so it will be nearly the same temperature as the internal oven?

How would the cook top function? are the round inserts replaced by electric elements?

Where would the electric elements' controls go on an antique range?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jun. 02, 2019 6:28 am

Some of the conversions (electric or gas) that I've seen don't look like it would be easy to convert back because the control dials are mounted in behind the firebox door and the cook top surface is changed. Might be able to if the original parts were still available ?

Stove Hospital, and Stanley Iron Works could tell you more about it because they've done conversions.
http://stovehospital.com/
https://www.antiquestovesbystanleyiron.com/

Paul

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 8:41 pm

Check out Stanley iron works too, the ones I have seen as Paul mentioned have a new cooktop installed and they insulate the flues where the gases and smoke would travel otherwise the outside of the stove would be as hot as the inside and at that point you might as well just run coal year round like Paul... haha

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 9:12 pm

:D
Yup, woke up to 40F outside this morning, plus windy and damp. Heat from that range is sure nice !!!!!

Paul

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 9:38 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 9:12 pm
:D
Yup, woke up to 40F outside this morning, plus windy and damp. Heat from that range is sure nice !!!!!

Paul
I hear ya, 45 this morning, had the new Atlantic going, till around noon, then fired it back up for dinner time, 50 now and 72 indoors. I sure do like this ol girl

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Jun. 04, 2019 8:17 am

A serious question. Should the bastardization of a coal stove be made a capital offense?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jun. 04, 2019 8:43 am

I'm not sure putting replies all in capital letters is enough punishment.

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Jun. 04, 2019 9:17 am

capital offense. A crime, such as murder or betrayal of one's country, that is treated so seriously that death may be considered an appropriate punishment.
I was thinking hung, drawn and quartered but I can be extreme.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Jun. 04, 2019 1:04 pm

coalnewbie wrote: A serious question. Should the bastardization of a coal stove be made a capital offense?
Sunny Boy wrote: I'm not sure putting replies all in capital letters is enough punishment.
coalnewbie wrote: I was thinking hung, drawn and quartered but I can be extreme.
have mercy please :angel: , a range used as electric cooker would only be a temporary use :stfu: , besides basement fireplace will have an antique insert burning coal soon :yes:

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Jun. 12, 2019 4:17 pm

I talked with both Stanley Iron Works and Stove Hospital.
An electric conversion would permanently alter a range, due to the insulation that D.lapan mentioned and (if I understood correctly) something to do with the components that make up the new oven and electric element and how these are mounted.

If we do get a range, likely we put it in storage until we are ready to have a flue installed rather than have one converted. Just use our modern electric one until then. Brandon at Stove Hospital suggested that some ranges are worn or missing parts that they cannot be restored to solid fuel and would be candidates for conversion, so that is something we may consider.

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Wed. Jun. 12, 2019 7:27 pm

I’m not sure where your located but I recently acquired a pile of cookstoves, I’ll give ya a hell of a deal restored or not as I could use the space

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Jun. 13, 2019 1:08 pm

D.lapan wrote:
Wed. Jun. 12, 2019 7:27 pm
I’m not sure where your located but I recently acquired a pile of cookstoves, I’ll give ya a hell of a deal restored or not as I could use the space
Ohio.
I am open to that.
I have been watching your "Cook stoves parlor stoves and parts" thread for pictures.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jun. 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Good idea - convert a parts stove. :yes:

Plus, I'm pretty sure that would get you around that annoying "hung, drawn and quartered" problem. ;)

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jun. 13, 2019 5:25 pm

There never would have been a hotrod car made or a car race without some bastardization occurring. I say go for it if thats what you want to do. Its your money. Spend it how you wish.... plus I hate being told what I "CAN'T" do :lol: Makes me want to do it myself now :lol:

I'll go hang myself now cuz CN's new Tesla he traded his Mustang for cant make it this far to do the job. 8-) I'll use a silk rope...

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Jun. 13, 2019 8:49 pm

warminmn wrote:
Thu. Jun. 13, 2019 5:25 pm
There never would have been a hotrod car made or a car race without some bastardization occurring. I say go for it if thats what you want to do. Its your money. Spend it how you wish.... plus I hate being told what I "CAN'T" do :lol: Makes me want to do it myself now :lol:

I'll go hang myself now cuz CN's new Tesla he traded his Mustang for cant make it this far to do the job. 8-) I'll use a silk rope...
I think taking a non restorable stove, possibly one with a warped top and thrashed firebox, is a better option than converting a good restoration candidate.

By no means am I a purist, in fact I'm guilty of quite a few unique car modifications in my day. :lol:

If I were a bit younger, I would love to pick up a lightly hit Tesla and throw in a nice big ICE drivetrain. :D

Paulie

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”