A great find?! Need some help: Red Cross Garnet

TotenFleisch

Post by TotenFleisch » Wed. May. 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Hello all,

I recently acquired a Red Cross Garnet stove that was converted to gas at some point. I am not sure if the person who converted it discarded the firepot and grates, but it now contains a standard fireplace andiron. Everything else on this is beautiful, a look at the exterior would have you believe it was a professional restore, save a well hidden gas system, and the interior, of course. This stove is intended for our master bedroom, where gas is a nice convenience. If we had anthracite coal in Colorado, id be more inclined to convert it back, but at least we have a nice Florence 153 for our bit coal and wood in the living room.

Does anyone have this stove?

I would like to bring it back to a closer to original look, and preferably still run it on gas with faux coal if possible with a product like this
https://www.victorianfireplaceshop.com/gas-coals- ... skets.html

Some of these companies will custom make a coal basket, and if I could use a recast firepot, I think it would look excellent.

If anyone can point me to some replacement parts or someone who has this stove, it would be amazing to restore it a bit nicer.

Oh, almost forgot. The entire stove is filthy with soot, inside and out; what is the best way to go about cleaning it in its entirety?

Thanks!!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”