Coal Fire box

copper
Baseburners & Antiques: Combination range

Post by copper » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 8:41 am

Q3 - On my "Andes combination range, I need to reline the firebox - the side plates are ceramic and all cracked/broken, so thought I would cast some new ones with the old pieced together parts. I am sure this sounds easier than it is... Based on the threads I read in this forum, it appears that super hybond plus is the ticket. I could make a form from the old pieces then "cast" a new set. Is this the best way? Where do I get a big block of hybond? I am in central NY area. Is there a local expert that I could work (aka - hire) with on this project?

Also, The end plates are cast-iron. The back one is pretty deformed (but usable), the front one is burned thru/shot. I am not a foundry, so was wondering can I buy replacements for these? Or can I cast one out of refractory cement like the side bricks above? If the hybond is sort of like stiff clay, if I cut a 1/2" thick sheet, it seems that it might hold it's shape while it hardened in place, maybe with some packed newspaper on the back side, etc to support it? Will it hold together? I think I want a 4 piece construction, versus casting the entire liner in one piece via the "hammer method" that I have read about. Thoughts?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 10:27 am

About ten years ago, I bought a 50 lb box of "ramset" refractory material at a plumbing, heating, and boiler supply parts house in Utica. I don't remember the name, but you can do a websearch for such a . Ramset is the general name for the types of refractory material by hammering the sticky clay-like material into fireboxes.

It's like working with modeling clay. You don't need a mold, you use a rolling pin to roll it to about 3/4 inch thick sheet, cut it with a knife, and press it into position. Let dry 24 hours, then finish drying and cure with a few small wood fires.

If your going to make a mold using the old bricks, used Rutland's castable refractory, available on line from a number of places, including Rutland's website.

If the bricks are fairly smooth. make them smoother and use plaster of Paris for the mold in a box or pan. When it dry's, grease it and pour in the castable refractory. Let sit over night in the mold. Then let the new bricks dry several days in a warm place to drive out most of the water.

If you use the search function on here for "firebricks" and "liner" you'll find many have done and explained what your looking to do.

Paul

copper

Post by copper » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Paul, the Ramset method sounds good. I could cut to shape, then whittle out the edge reliefs and radii easy enough for the side pieces.

copper

Post by copper » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 5:21 pm

Is the Ramset stiff enough while uncured and strong enough when cured to replace the cast iron end plates? That might be the solution.

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Infab refractory (207) 783-2075
$38 a 50# box plus shipping to me is was $30
Ask for noxram and tell them what your doing with it

copper

Post by copper » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 11:09 pm

Range pics

Attachments

KIMG0390.JPG
.JPG | 275.1KB | KIMG0390.JPG
KIMG0389.JPG
.JPG | 255.9KB | KIMG0389.JPG

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Tue. Apr. 30, 2019 5:20 am

Sharp stove

copper

Post by copper » Tue. Apr. 30, 2019 9:02 pm

It is pretty. So, Wilson returned my call today and gave me MUCH to think about. He's a wealth of knowledge. I think I'm convinced to go the hammer clay route. Timing is everything, and mine was off as he recently gave away a bunch of Andes bricks cause he has never been asked about them. Until me of course. C'est la vie. He was gonna dig around to see what other Andes knick knacks he might have in the shop. Thanks Wilson! (PS, it would be amazing if you had some adjustable orifices. I'll attach a sketch..)

Attachments

KIMG0461.JPG
.JPG | 175.3KB | KIMG0461.JPG

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”