Cook stoves parlor stoves and parts

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Aug. 25, 2019 5:03 pm

RCD wrote:
Fri. Aug. 02, 2019 8:35 pm
I am looking for a Shaker grate for a Union Caboose stove #29 and a shacker lid lifter. The B&M stove is different but that might be of use down the road so I will keep that in mind.
My uncle just dropped off the draw center style grates for his union caboose stove, the draw center is missing but I have a pattern for one that fits, however one of the ears that it sits on is broken off so I will need to make one and have it cast, get me your measurements if it’s the same size I’ll have 2 sets made
Dana

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Today’s haul
Load 1 of 3 from what was Vermont antique stoves

Attachments

54258D11-8D6E-4150-A27A-0AE55AD92058.jpeg
.JPEG | 812KB | 54258D11-8D6E-4150-A27A-0AE55AD92058.jpeg
9A81F4C2-19CC-443C-B866-D15BF5C12E0D.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | 9A81F4C2-19CC-443C-B866-D15BF5C12E0D.jpeg

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Nice haul!

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Dec. 07, 2019 7:00 pm

I see some goodies that should sell rather quickly.

Nice haul +2

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 9:43 am

Wow! :o

Makes my back ache just thinking about moving all that ! :D

Paul

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 10:16 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 9:43 am
Wow! :o

Makes my back ache just thinking about moving all that ! :D

Paul
Many light trips, that Crawford 30 weighs the most

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 2:10 pm

I’m thinking some sort of check damper, any thoughts

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 933KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 842.8KB | image.jpg

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Sun. Dec. 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Shame to see those treasures sitting outside. Your welcome to store a baseburner in my house.

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 3:12 pm

D.lapan wrote:
Fri. Aug. 02, 2019 7:17 pm
I have some union parts
I do have a bunch of patterns for the b&m caboose stove not sure if they are the same

< picture of blueprints >
Would schematics like that, with measurements, have the cast dimensions? ... then the pattern maker would use a shrink rule when creating the patterns.

OR vice versa, the measurements on the shematics are of the pattern and the pattern maker uses a standard ruler?

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 3:36 pm

gardener wrote:
Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 3:12 pm
Would schematics like that, with measurements, have the cast dimensions? ... then the pattern maker would use a shrink rule when creating the patterns.

OR vice versa, the measurements on the shematics are of the pattern and the pattern maker uses a standard ruler?
Those are great questions!!👍

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 4:04 pm

gardener wrote:
Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 3:12 pm

Sometimes the cast parts have to match up and fit with non-cast parts on the same project. Could get confusing. The traditional way is, all the casting drawings I've seen and worked with do the compensating for shrinkage when the pattern is made, not when the drawing is made. The drawing just specifies the material or alloy to use for the cast part.

I've been in a patternmakers shop at a foundry when I was asked to take over the job (couldn't take it on - had my own company to run). There were rulers with scales for each type of metal being cast that are oversized to allow for shrinkage of that metal/alloy as it cools back to the sizes on the drawings. You can still order those rulers from machine shop suppliers such as McMaster-Carr.

Paul

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Great info!!!👍

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Dec. 10, 2019 10:05 am

D.lapan wrote:
Sun. May. 12, 2019 2:54 pm
Here are a few of the base burner patterns one is the back obviously of a 12” st nick and the other is a side panel, these had cast barrels which from what I understand are always broken, I have the patterns to make the whole stove

< pictures of two St Nicholas patterns >
Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. May. 12, 2019 7:03 pm
Just thinking about the manhours that went into making those two patterns makes my hands hurt !!!!!!

Paul
Personal preference is that I find the St Nicholas stoves beautiful as a whole, but when my focus is on the decorative reliefs, like on a particular section, I do not care for it. Its not wrong, just personal preference. It has caused me to ponder why. I think I may have identified the reason. This is more a question for confirmation than me positing. School me!

My thought is that, when reading the books I have gotten a hold of, they mention that reliefs have to be counter carved... which is twice, probably three times the man hours (I am guessing). Yet the reliefs on St Nicholas stoves look to me like the lettering (part numbers, patented dates, model) cast into parts that are shallow enough that the counter carving is skipped... saving the twice/three times effort (again my guess). Is this the case?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 10, 2019 12:32 pm

On some parts, you can see that the part/date casting numbers are a separate tag - possibly pressed into the molding sand after the pattern is carefully removed before pouring the molten cast iron. In large production there likely was many duplicate patterns to speed up the molding process, but there may have been one guy who went down the line pressing that part/date number in before the mold copes and drags (forming the mold flasks) were assemble ready for the pour.

On some, you can see the castings showing the form of the screw heads used to hold that part/date tag to the pattern, added on rather than have it carved into the wood.

So, some details may be added after the main pattern is removed. Unless we can see the original patterns, it's tough to know.

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Dec. 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Perhaps someone that has a St. Nicholas stove and can say whether the inside of the casting has the negative of the decorative reliefs.
Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Dec. 10, 2019 12:32 pm
On some parts, you can see that the part/date casting numbers are a separate tag - possibly pressed into the molding sand after the pattern is carefully removed before pouring the molten cast iron. In large production there likely was many duplicate patterns to speed up the molding process, but there may have been one guy who went down the line pressing that part/date number in before the mold copes and drags (forming the mold flasks) were assemble ready for the pour.

On some, you can see the castings showing the form of the screw heads used to hold that part/date tag to the pattern, added on rather than have it carved into the wood.

So, some details may be added after the main pattern is removed. Unless we can see the original patterns, it's tough to know.

Paul
That was a thought I had, on the lower portion of the body those flowers / stars surrounded by the dimples look replicated like someone carefully cookie cutter pressed them in, at least for the original metal production pattern (not for every cast piece).

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”