chilson cone stove

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 10:02 am

KingCoal wrote:
Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 9:37 am
are there specific features about the cone stove that distances them from the similar station agent type stoves ?

thank

I believe these are the original for this style the others are other manufacturers variations. But I’m not positive emery would know more than me

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 11:32 am

I'm sure you are correct about the cone being the predecessor and am hoping Emery will come back to discuss this further.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 12:26 pm

Yes, I'd be interested to hear why the cone shape rather than the more common barrel, or potbelly, shapes. Is there any claimed advantage to such a reduction of barrel surface area, such as forcing hot gasses closer to the surfaces ?

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 1:25 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 12:26 pm
Yes, I'd be interested to hear why the cone shape rather than the more common barrel, or potbelly, shapes. Is there any claimed advantage to such a reduction of barrel surface area, such as forcing hot gasses closer to the surfaces ?

Paul
that was part of my idea, since that would be the advantage to the top "saucer" on both but, on the cone it seems you have the same thing happening with the "cone" area as well.

as with most of the other stoves we see or have even the smaller and or odder features have real engineering significance.

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 2:21 pm

This stove in comparison to the station agent I have is much more petite, the cone rappers on top to a 4 or 5” hole then opens to a 10”ish chamber on top before leaving through a 5” flue, I suspect the shape of the top neck where is chokes down aids to keep heat in the stove I’ll take some pics

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 5:38 pm

D.lapan wrote:
Fri. Jun. 07, 2019 2:21 pm
This stove in comparison to the station agent I have is much more petite, the cone rappers on top to a 4 or 5” hole then opens to a 10”ish chamber on top before leaving through a 5” flue, I suspect the shape of the top neck where is chokes down aids to keep heat in the stove I’ll take some pics
The top is making use of the plenum effect of slowing the gases down by letting them enter a larger space,...... but it's sorta like the chicken or the egg,..... does forcing the hot gases though a smaller space increase heat extraction because the hotter gasses are moved closer to less surface area than if they pass through a space with more surface area? Or is more surface area better to extract more heat?

Unless I missing something, I lean toward increased area and slower exhaust gas flow, like ranges and base heaters have with long flues and lots of surface area exposed to heat.

The stovepipe temps will tell !!!!

Paul

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Wed. Jun. 12, 2019 7:42 pm

The cone disk stove is the original station heater stove. All the others followed later. The shape with the long tapered neck causes heated air to accelerate up the stove side then is deflected horizontally . It travels quite a ways before beginning to rise. They were made in sizes from 2 to 6 designed for many uses. The size three was also made as a rail car heater with long rods that held it together and it bolted to the floor. I have seen a tiny size zero model but it was a Canadian knock off of the cone disk. It was about a foot tall. Chilson, at the same time , designed the Trio stove, the pyramid stove, and an oval base burner. All great stoves and quantum leaps ahead of what was available at the time.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jun. 15, 2019 11:28 am

Thank you Emery. Interesting design evolutions.

Paul

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Thu. Jun. 20, 2019 8:08 am

I experimented with one of mine by holding a lit cigarette next to it and observing the smoke flow. It tended to accelerate up the side of the stove till it got under the dome, then it turned side wise and traveled about 6-8 feet before rising again. It actually set up a small circulation of its own.
That being said the stoves do suffer some by not having draw3 center grates like later models like the Station Agent. the grate on the number 6 is well over an inch thick and the whole stove is designed for prolonged hard use.
They were designed for many varied uses. They came in sizes 2,3,4,5,6. and a Canadian company made an identical stove from size zero and up. I heat my showroom with a number 3 that is labeled as a railroad car heater and has 4 iron rods from top to bottom to hold it together in a crash.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”