anyone heard of grove andes no. 14 1889 base burner

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Mar. 24, 2019 5:18 pm

i don't think it was here, many many people burn only Anth. in them, more in fact than burn Bit.

in much of the heavy coal use region Bit is not that easy to get. here in Indiana what Bit is around is terribly expensive nearly twice as much per ton.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Mar. 25, 2019 1:24 pm

fig wrote:
Sun. Mar. 24, 2019 12:03 pm
I'm near Springfield Illinois. Bituminous country. Maybe that's why I never see these around here. I saw a Crawford in Indiana. Are those base burners?

I'm not familiar with all of the Crawford models, but the 30, 40, and 50 are all suspended pot base burners.

So does this groves stove have what's considered to be a suspended pot?
:eh:
Yes the Grove is a suspended pot.

Would it have had a magazine at one time?

Although it was an option, most of the square mica stoves had a magazine.

I've been battling bringing heat upstairs all winter burning bituminous in my warm morning I have in the basement. I'd like to have a stove upstairs next winter so that's why I'm considering this. I don't want to burn bit upstairs. I stumbled upon this and thought it might be a good choice.

I think the Grove is an excellent choice but priced high. If it's close enough, I would make arangments to take a good look at it. I would also check the doors out using the dollar bill test to see how they seal.

The missing magazine, shaker handle, incorrect hardware, and painted trim are not deal breakers, but are good bargaining chips.

The asking price based on your location, is not outrageous, and might actually be a better deal for you than finding the same exact stove for $700 but 500 miles from Springfield, Ill.

If possible, take a maximum of $1,100 in small bills with you

(A bigger pile is more impressive especially wrapped with a few brightly colored bank bands)

Set that as the absolute limit you will spend that visit. If there are no cracks, it really looks good, and you can't come to terms ....... you can always head back home, sleep on it and make a decision with a clear head if you really want to spend more .

A pile of cash in hand, along with a suttle comment about wanting to look at one more stove that's in your budget, works well to sway a hesitant seller into accepting your offer.

Paulie

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Mar. 25, 2019 3:19 pm

and THAT my friends is just PART of why Paulie has an undisclosed exact number of the most desirable makes and models of stoves. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 9:29 am

KingCoal wrote:
Sun. Mar. 24, 2019 5:18 pm
i don't think it was here, many many people burn only Anth. in them, more in fact than burn Bit.

in much of the heavy coal use region Bit is not that easy to get. here in Indiana what Bit is around is terribly expensive nearly twice as much per ton.
Wow. Yet in the coal areas where both types are available, I'm surprised how much Bit coal is cheaper than anthracite.

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 9:39 am

here in the Ohio / Mississippi valley region pretty much all the Bit is going to power plants by the train load, it's not easy to syphon off a car load for heating.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 10:02 am

Anthracite is between $6 and $7 a bag here if you can find it. I can't find any. Bit is $70 a ton. I'm considering have a semi load of anthracite delivered. Have to see what that would cost. Prices seem to have gone up considerably in the last 4 or 5 years. It seems the last time I had an interest in burning coal bit was about $38 a ton.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 12:54 pm

my 23 tons of nut anth from Lehigh was $160.00 p.t. delivered.

that was $130 pt. as an off season special buy and $30. pt. trucking, you are further out than me.

i'd call Matt at the Lehigh Bulk plant and see where things stand currently and when the next pre season fill rates will go into effect.

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 1:01 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 12:54 pm
my 23 tons of nut anth from Lehigh was $160.00 p.t. delivered.

that was $130 pt. as an off season special buy and $30. pt. trucking, you are further out than me.

i'd call Matt at the Lehigh Bulk plant and see where things stand currently and when the next pre season fill rates will go into effect.
How long ago what that?
The last coal my local supplier had which I know hikes the price of everything was $340 p.t for Lehigh
For that kind of money I might just have to jump in and take TT load

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 1:43 pm

fig wrote:
Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 10:02 am
Anthracite is between $6 and $7 a bag here if you can find it. I can't find any. Bit is $70 a ton. I'm considering have a semi load of anthracite delivered. Have to see what that would cost. Prices seem to have gone up considerably in the last 4 or 5 years. It seems the last time I had an interest in burning coal bit was about $38 a ton.
I just bought 20 bags of nut at Tractor Supply yesterday.... $6.29 a bag. I had to call around. Some have it, some don't.

Paul

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 1:48 pm

oct.-nov. 2015. it was a hedge decision against any of the democrats getting elected and playing games with my life style.

lots of things "fly over" here but that ain't ever going to be one of them.

I have a plan for a purchase that will take me to my 90th birthday, long before there's a chance of any access interruption.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 3:40 pm

All the tsc around here say they aren't going to carry coal anymore. I have to admit I'm not very willing to pay $6 for a bag. I do want to fill my warm morning up with anthracite once and see how it burns. I've only burned 15 or 20# in it so no idea how it behaves with 100#.

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 3:52 pm

fig wrote:
Tue. Mar. 26, 2019 3:40 pm
All the tsc around here say they aren't going to carry coal anymore. I have to admit I'm not very willing to pay $6 for a bag. I do want to fill my warm morning up with anthracite once and see how it burns. I've only burned 15 or 20# in it so no idea how it behaves with 100#.
That’s cheap here in nh the average is $8 with ts being the exception

fig

Post by fig » Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 9:04 am

This would be a good way to store a semi load of anthracite.
images-1.jpg
.JPG | 17.9KB | images-1.jpg

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 10:45 am

fig wrote:
Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 9:04 am
This would be a good way to store a semi load of anthracite.

images-1.jpg
That other end would be quite a hike in late Winter. :D

Paul

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Mar. 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi all, if you think that anthracite is expensive in your regions, here in Province of Québec the price is $21.82 taxes included, plus delivery and only sold for a complete pellet. :hangover:

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”