Hi Everyone from Johannesburg SA

Habibi
Baseburners & Antiques: Artesse No.2
Coal Size/Type: Small Nuts

Post by Habibi » Mon. Mar. 18, 2019 3:39 am

Good Morning dear friends of the Coal burners

My Name is Gerard Habib I am from Johannesburg South Africa, I have been round coal burners since a kid and always loved the warmth they produce so now that I have my own place I have bought a few new burnders but would like to get some advice and assistance with them.

1st Question is regarding placement... My bedroom is about 20square meters in size, I was hoping to install one of my burners and Artesse No. 2 in this area but worry about CO in the room, I will install in a passage area leading into the room its self and have also bought a CO and smoke detector and alarm but dont want to find out the hard way when we don't wake up that the bedroom was a bad plan.

2nd besides the Artesse No.2 I also have a Godin Petit small oval which I have recieved a lot of different answeres on what to burn. they are classed and Multifuel burners, The importes to SA suggest I burn wood and on another wood burning forum (Hearth.com) they have said they can burn wood BUT will burn way better with anthracite. any personal knowledge with this unit on which fuel to burn.

3rd when burning anthracite I have been told I need to not burn the unit too hot, how do I know what is too hot do i need a stove thermometer for all the stoves I own.

I own for my home 2 stoves the Artesse and the Godin but on my property I have 2 additional cottages one for the lady that takes care of my dogs and one for paying tennants. for those units I have a Becker 444 anthracite burner and an Esse Autovector 50

Attachments

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-08 at 08.43.36.jpeg

Current Wood fire to test the installation

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Mar. 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Welcome to the forum, Gerard.

The safety of your system will depend largely on your chimney, and attention to proper clearances, as well as the condition of the stoves. Running too hot is usually the result of a badly sealed ash door allowing too much air in.

I believe you have a mild climate so your stoves will probably overheat that small area, especially with the steady heat of coal.

The Godin stove is very good and very bad. Good in heating ability and bad in clearing coal ash along with a small ash pan. The Godin violates the usual air pattern of air from the bottom up through the lower grate. Its pattern is front to back which is fine for wood, but will fail to burn coal well until the coal is filled to the top of the front grill, at which point the air will stop bypassing the coal. Heating that small area I would lean toward wood topped off with some coal for a longer burn.

I suspect the Esse will be a proper coal stove and probably need pea size coal. The Artesse looks to need a fairly large size coal to avoid spilling out. The Godin needs at least nut size coal.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Mar. 18, 2019 5:07 pm

I could be mistaken, but it is my belief that most legal codes here in the States forbid the placement of any form of solid fuel heating appliance within a bedroom.

Whatever you decide to do, please be careful to think it through wisely and cautiously.

That's a very nice looking stove!!!

Habibi

Post by Habibi » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 7:47 am

Hi Guys thanks for the responses,

I can run wood on the Godin with out an issue, I don't mind having both wood and Anthracite at the home.

As for the Artesse in the bedroom if there is a law there must be a reason. Maybe what I can do is rather install either the bathroom or passage that is parallel to the bedroom and feed the flue through the wall into the bedroom to warm the room area but I assume with that there is also a chance of a leak on the flue which will be the same issue right

Habibi

Post by Habibi » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 7:57 am

Hi Franco B we do have a mild winter but during cold front we can drop below Zero C' (30' F) and the majority of South African Homes including mine is very badly insulated we have single pane windows and the doors are usually gapped at the bottom so the cold gets in very easy, also I have higher than normal (For South Africa) ceilings at about 3.3m (10.8Foot)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 19, 2019 9:26 am

Welcome Gerald.

One thought. Coal is not easy for beginners to control. If your going to use a stove in an area where someone unfamiliar with properly and safely operating a coal stove is going to be staying I think it should just be wood as the fuel.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”