catalogs, firepot sizes / model numbers

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 1:29 pm

When I look through the old catalogs, many of the free standing stoves are offered with different firepot sizes.

For any given stove with different firepot size offerings,
is it one stove size with different firepot sizes?
or for each firepot size the stove is scaled up or down to correspond?

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 1:47 pm

The stoves were scaled up or down to match the firepot size.

Paulie

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 8:09 am

Pauliewog wrote:
Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 1:47 pm
The stoves were scaled up or down to match the firepot size.

Paulie
Thanks Paulie.

I am amazed by that. :o I have been reading about pattern making, and the last book I read was partly dedicated to stove pattern making. It was lots of manual labor by skilled and talented persons (as I understand it). All three books often made a remark to this or that is 'left to the experience of the pattern maker', usually in reference to curves and long thin pieces. It makes me think that if a stove was offered in multiple sizes, they were essentially different stoves as far as coming up with the patterns to make them from.

Was there some sort of rule that was followed for firepot size to exhaust port size?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 9:31 am

gardener wrote:
Fri. Mar. 15, 2019 8:09 am
Thanks Paulie.

I am amazed by that. :o I have been reading about pattern making, and the last book I read was partly dedicated to stove pattern making. It was lots of manual labor by skilled and talented persons (as I understand it). All three books often made a remark to this or that is 'left to the experience of the pattern maker', usually in reference to curves and long thin pieces. It makes me think that if a stove was offered in multiple sizes, they were essentially different stoves as far as coming up with the patterns to make them from.

Was there some sort of rule that was followed for firepot size to exhaust port size?
Yes and no.

Common example; Glenwood Modern Oaks verses Glenwood Base Heaters. My Modern Oak 118, which has an 18 inch firepot, use 6 inch pipe for both the back pipe and the stove pipe. The 116 and smaller Modern Oaks use 5 inch. Smaller pot, smaller pipe - makes sense right ?

However, with the Glenwood Base Beaters, built about the same time frame. The #8 (18 inch pot) and the #6 (16 inch pot) both use 6 inch stove pipe. The #6 is very close to the same size pot as the 116, and in base heater mode it extracts more heat, thus further cooling and reducing the exhaust gas volume. You would think a smaller stove pipe for the #6 (like the 116 uses) would be ok.

Then, when you get to kitchen ranges, that have firebox capacities roughly half the size of heating stoves of the same era, 6 inch pipe is the standard. And my range pulls a strong draft, even with such a large proportion stove pipe - with two 90 degree elbows. :baby:

There were some general rules about size proportions, but they didn't always follow them,..... and the stoves work fine anyway. :D

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Mar. 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Saw this one in a 1890 Rathbone & Sard catalog last night.
It says it is for large rooms and stores.
Any idea how tall and diameter of the No. 185 would be?
How much would the 1890 Empress at $55 be in today's money?
Do any of these large heating stoves still exist?

Since I have been going through the old threads in this forum, I got the impression that a 20" firepot was considered large, but this advertisement mentions 16-18" internal firebrick diameter. I can see 18" being "large", but is 16" large?
MonsterStoreStove_RathboneAndSard.png
.PNG | 126.6KB | MonsterStoreStove_RathboneAndSard.png

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Mar. 21, 2019 2:46 pm

There's more questions
Large by today's room standards, or the common room sizes over 100 years ago ?

And in what part of the country ?

A 16 inch firepot will heat a large room, or most of a well insulated modern 3 bedroom house, but is that in Maryland, Massachusetts, Maine, or Montana ?

And remember, over 100 years ago, people dressed for winter - usually in a lot of layers and often involving wool, back when these stoves were new. Not the tee shirt and shorts attire some of us are used to when using coal stoves. :lol:

The 24 inch firepot "can and a half" ( 7 foot tall) Round Oak that one of my Bother-In-laws has, came out of a local church. He told me it was one of two they used to heat the entire church. He heats his large, high ceiling, open floor plan, walls of windows, house with wood in that stove and it gets painfully hot standing near it.

Paul

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Mar. 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. Mar. 21, 2019 2:46 pm
There's more questions
Large by today's room standards, or the common room sizes over 100 years ago ?

And in what part of the country ?

A 16 inch firepot will heat a large room, or most of a well insulated modern 3 bedroom house, but is that in Maryland, Massachusetts, Maine, or Montana ?

And remember, over 100 years ago, people dressed for winter - usually in a lot of layers and often involving wool, back when these stoves were new. Not the tee shirt and shorts attire some of us are used to when using coal stoves. :lol:

The 24 inch firepot "can and a half" ( 7 foot tall) Round Oak that one of my Bother-In-laws has, came out of a local church. He told me it was one of two they used to heat the entire church. He heats his large, high ceiling, open floor plan, walls of windows, house with wood in that stove and it gets painfully hot standing near it.

Paul
Good points I hadn't considered in my questions.
Their catalog suggests they had plants in Albany NY, Chicago IL, Aurora IL, Detroit MI, and licensed to a manufacturer in Denver CO. I would assume most of their market was in nearby regions.

Attended an interpretive luncheon at one of the local historical societies. Hostess demonstrated with a number of hanging garments how layered up the women would have been back in the late 19th century, especially during winter. The clothing had special provision for using the bathroom so they would not have to undress but for some partings. Another thing was illustrated was how the fashions over the decades moved toward lighter material.

I looked more at the catalog, and the stove was a larger (including the double height cylinder) version of their Eastern Acorn. It had some description two pages prior.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”