plating process

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 1:59 pm

I see that nickeling is probably the most common plating for stoves, but I have read somewhere that gold plating and probably some other metals are used to plate with.

Recently I saw a photo of a stove leg where only the raised ornamentation was plated the rest of the leg was painted black.
I thought plating was done in tubs by submerging the piece in some sort of solution and running a current through the piece.
Am I wrong about how plating is done?

Though I have never paid attention to whether the reverse side ends up plated, which I assume it would if it is bathed in a container... I guess thats a question, is the reverse side also plated?

How do the platers plate specific parts of a piece, like the raised ornamentation?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 2:58 pm

Are you sure the raised section was in fact nickeled and not painted?

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 3:49 pm

I cannot tell for sure, but it does not look like it has been brushed on. Unless it was brushed on and then polished somehow.
I have seen many stoves where they spray painted the pieces silver that would have otherwise been nickeled, which to me looks bad.
RoundOak_s-l1600 (23).jpg
.JPG | 405.9KB | RoundOak_s-l1600 (23).jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Bath plating is only on way. Plating can be applied by brush, or in the case of some metals, by heat.

As a teenager, I worked one summer for a friend's Father painting decorative bathroom and kitchen glass ware. Many of the highlights were painted on gold. The paint looked black until the paint vehicle burned off in the kilns and left just the gold fused into the glass permanently . You can do the same to some metals.

Paul

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Feb. 27, 2019 11:19 am

gardener wrote:
Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 1:59 pm
I see that nickeling is probably the most common plating for stoves, but I have read somewhere that gold plating and probably some other metals are used to plate with.

Copper, brass, and black nickel were also common but used primarily on the finials.

Recently I saw a photo of a stove leg where only the raised ornamentation was plated the rest of the leg was painted black.
I thought plating was done in tubs by submerging the piece in some sort of solution and running a current through the piece.
Am I wrong about how plating is done?

That's correct.

Though I have never paid attention to whether the reverse side ends up plated, which I assume it would if it is bathed in a container... I guess thats a question, is the reverse side also plated?

The position of the nickel anodes in the bath solution and determines where the plating is applied. The majority of the anode surface is directed towards the outside of the part.

Moving the anodes in back of the part further away and reducing the current on the back side gives a thinner plating on the back if desired.

How do the platers plate specific parts of a piece, like the raised ornamentation?

It's much easier to plate the entire part and then spray paint the remainder. With a fine steel or brass wool you can easily remove the paint from the raised detail.

Other methods are brush plating the raised surfaces like SB mentioned or masking off the areas that you don't want plated.

Paulie

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”