Saving history...one antique stove at a time

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Feb. 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Here's some pix of the backpipe support for one of my 118.

I thought the casting was wider and the outer screws held it on, but it's those two inner screws that hold that support casting onto that rear cover plate.

I'd loan it to you as pattern for recast, but the 118 is bigger and takes a 6 inch backpipe. The 116 uses a 5 inch back pipe.

I know Wilson has the 116 back pipe parts because when I was there he showed me how he reinforced the pattern for the pipe baffles he has cast so I could do the same for my 118s. By now, he may also have the 116 size base castings.

FYI, the Modern Oaks that have a back pipe also have a different rear skirt that has a half-oval cutout to clear the pipe. It's the right-hand most one of the four large skirts of the fourth picture. You can just leave that skirt section off.

Paul

Attachments

P1010008.JPG
.JPG | 151KB | P1010008.JPG
P1010007.JPG
.JPG | 156.4KB | P1010007.JPG
P1010005.JPG
.JPG | 158.1KB | P1010005.JPG
DSCN4647.JPG
.JPG | 157.3KB | DSCN4647.JPG

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Feb. 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Feb. 04, 2019 9:22 pm
I thought the casting was wider and the outer screws held it on, but it's those two inner screws that hold that support casting onto that rear cover plate.
Ahhh, so I was right. Damn good guess on my part...haha

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 12:07 pm

I took a stab at polishing the skirt with mothers metal polish. It shines up real nice but some of the rust spots took it’s toll!

Attachments

D234669B-AA62-4C50-B51A-D0CAD538EBA4.jpeg

After polishing

9DCEC46C-94DE-4EEA-8FCC-9F73193D9206.jpeg

Original

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Take it to a professional with a proper wheel. I bet it comes back and if it’s not perfect it will have character!

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 3:06 pm

To be honest Scott...that’s why I haven’t nickeled the G109 parts. I like the look, it has character!

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Now that you have it cleaned up, a good coating of auto paste wax will help protect what's left of the finish, prevent rusting further, and not make an oily surface that ash and coal dust will stick too.

Paul

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Thu. Feb. 07, 2019 7:31 pm

So how would one go about removing and reinstalling the door handle for nickeling? I can get it off no problem...haha...it’s getting it back on that’s the issue. It seems they were peened flat when installed from the factory. Not to steal secrets, but how do the resto shops do it?

Attachments

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Thu. Feb. 07, 2019 7:40 pm

tcalo wrote:
Thu. Feb. 07, 2019 7:31 pm
So how would one go about removing and reinstalling the door handle for nickeling? I can get it off no problem...haha...it’s getting it back on that’s the issue. It seems they were peened flat when installed from the factory. Not to steal secrets, but how do the resto shops do it?
Grind it off and a little weld will hold it back on, even a reg mig weld has held the one in my camp for 3 seasons now no issues
Dana

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 07, 2019 7:50 pm

Yup, a couple of tack welds on the end of the handle shank to the retaining plate.

Paul

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Ok...making some progress but could use some advice!

I took a trip up to Skips place over the weekend and grabbed some parts from him. The G116 fire pot he had has seen better days. We decided to repair the fire pot I had...luckily I brought it with me. Not sure how well it'll hold up? Skips advice was run the stove and see what happens...haha. We did hear some funky cracking sounds as he was welding it up!!! It doesn't look too bad, just needs some cleaning up. So...do I go through the work of a top to bottom resto on this stove using the old pot and hope for the best...or should I try to either locate a good pot or get this one recast? After crunching the numbers a recast would run about $250 minus shipping, not to mention the shrinkage may affect the fit. These pots are HEAVY so lord knows what shipping would cost, or how I would even pack it up to get it to them?

Also, Skip has the parts for the rear indirect pipes but said they get expensive. Since this is just a spare stove I'm not sure how deep (money wise) I want to get into this thing. He said the direct and indirect set ups may require different rear outlet heights. Can anyone verify this? I assume it doesn't really matter where the rear flange on the stove or indirect pipe are located, just as long as they line up with each other...right? I can measure the rear flange height on my 116, if someone can provide measurements of the rear flange height from an indirect 116 that would be very helpful. If they are in fact the same then I can always add the indirect pipe at a later date.

Everything should go out for blasting this week. Hopefully it'll all be painted and polished by next weekend. I left the rear grate cover with Skip for repairs. So once I get that back then I can start assembly. The grate frame is already finished and assembled. Not sure how to tackle the nickel parts. Again...we're talking big money! I have a local shop, I'll run the parts to them this week and see what they say. I'm jammed up on relining the pot. I've searched through dozens of topics and can't seem to nail down a source for refractory. I believe the hammered in refractory would be best since I'm not making bricks but rather lining the whole pot. I was going to reach out to Blackman Plumbing this week, since they deal with boilers and such. If they don't have refractory then maybe they can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

IMG_4987.JPG

new barrel

.JPG | 391.5KB | IMG_4987.JPG
IMG_4988.JPG

repaired fire pot

.JPG | 395.8KB | IMG_4988.JPG
IMG_4989.JPG

grate bar assemsbly

.JPG | 1036.9KB | IMG_4989.JPG

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Tomahawk should do a recast for about 3 dollars a pound of firepot weight, plus a dollar a pound to ship it out , then double that for the trip home. A new recast and pattern.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 4:23 pm

I'd slap some Hercules cement in the fire pot cracks, run it as is for this season,...... but keep the Hercules and a putty knife handy, just in case. ;)

The location of the barrel' s exit to the backpipe's inlet stays the same height up on the barrel no matter id there is a back pipe, or how you hook a backpipe up to the stove pipe.

However, the backpipe's exit to the stove pipe can have either a horizontal exit collar, or a straight up top exit. If your making a new back pipe then you get to choose. You can put the back pipe's exit collar hole at whatever height works for you - the higher the better to gain heat extraction surface area in the pipe. But, if say, the pipe must fit under a fireplace lintel, you can make the back pipe exit hole lower and it'll still draw fine.

Paul

mntbugy
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 4:34 pm

The fire pot on my 114 was 150 tomahawk. 50 to ship out and 100 on the way back.

Line your firepot with noxram, then cut expansion joints like a cement sidewalk has. Cracks will stay in the expansion joint slice.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 5:20 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 4:34 pm
Line your firepot with noxram, then cut expansion joints like a cement sidewalk has. Cracks will stay in the expansion joint slice.
Do you have a source?

mntbugy

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Tom, page down a little to fire pot lining header. Good info there.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”