Coal grates identification. Kalamazoo pilgrim

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 9:10 am

A 3/4 inch thick wood plate ? :o Wow, the shipping cost must have been way up there.

Paul

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 9:28 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 9:10 am
A 3/4 inch thick wood plate ? :o Wow, the shipping cost must have been way up there.

Paul
Wasn't cheap :o The total cost of it with shipping was just under $100.00 which is about what I thought it would be. To me it was worth it so I don't have to keep messing with changing out the grates...just drop the plate on top of the grates. I have only used it a couple of times because I had it made right around Christmas and I had switched over to coal by then. So far, I like what I see with it and it keeps the embers in the stove much better.

Randy

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 9:57 am

Photog200 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 9:28 am
Wasn't cheap :o The total cost of it with shipping was just under $100.00 which is about what I thought it would be. To me it was worth it so I don't have to keep messing with changing out the grates...just drop the plate on top of the grates. I have only used it a couple of times because I had it made right around Christmas and I had switched over to coal by then. So far, I like what I see with it and it keeps the embers in the stove much better.

Randy
I can remember when Tomahawk shipped back my three new grate bars, plus the pattern bar, plus the cogs and fire brick retainers I had them recast. The UPS driver earned his pay that day !!!!

Yes, I can see why wood plates were offered and still sold by Woodman's Parts in NH. The plates do make the switch much easier, and it seems it can be done without the need to shut down the stove. Just let the coal firebed get a bit low and set the wood plate on top. As the coal burns and is shaken down just add more wood. Or when switching wood to coal, just fish the plate out of the wood fire with the right-angle tipped poker and start adding coal to the wood fire.

The triangular grate bars don't do much better at holding a bed of embers than your Clarion dockash grates do. I was thinking of getting, or making a wood plate for the range, but about then I decided to stop using wood because coal in the shoulder months was easier and less work with the range. And I don't need the base heater in the shoulder months because the range can take care of the house heat needs when OAT stay up above 40 F.

Paul

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 8:40 pm

I got a piece of 1/4" plate steel and drilled some holes in it for wood burning. Seems to work good that way. I will need to investigate further on the stove once I am back at the camp next time. I will need to look a lot closer for small cracks and air bypasses etc. I looked for a little bit when I went up there but was focusing on getting it swept out and a fire lit in it since it was right around freezing inside the cabin. We also have a cool old Duo Therm model 612-2 oil stove in our bedroom. Pretty cool heater also. The newest stove we have is a Jotul combi fire No 4 woodstove. That thing is a garbage disposal. It will burn whatever you put in it and throw out tons of heat. We also used to have a bucket a day coal stove for heating and hot water but that blew up literally and is now buried in the woods. That little bugger used to crank out some heat

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Your description of that Jotul reminds me of a friend in college, ….. could eat anything, …. but the form of heat he put out was not pleasant to be around. :D

A piece of smoldering string or incense stick, held close to the range's seams while the stove is running can show where the leaks are sucking air in. Ash dust inside the oven after shaking ashes shows there's leaks in the oven seams.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”