The clinker thread!

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 12:47 pm

1000 degrees C 🤯

https://www.quora.com/What-are-reasons-for-clinke ... er-furnace

I guess I’d better shakedown more often!

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 1:00 pm

My bigger clinkers are formed above or in the bridge. I floss thru clinker door, then gentle shake left and right. Then go back in and collapse the bridge. Then another gentle shake to clean the bridging ash. That is when the bigger than a silver dollar clinkers show them selves.

Small clinkers around the permimeter are ok be me. The big boys are always in the center, sometimes they work their way to the outside edge.

Spot welding cooling fins would do wonders to get heat away from the stove.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 1:18 pm

The center will still remain the hottest part. I would try a quick in out of the draw center to clear that ash if slicing is not practical.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 1:48 pm

24 hours may be so much time that it lets the clinkers grow to be bigger/harder than the GW triangular grates can grind up. If I tried to go with 24 tending with the GW6 I'm sure I'd be having some clinkers get too big for the grates to handle !!!!

I agree. Your biggest clinkers in the center because that's hottest place.

Also, shaking the round draw center type grates, the center has the least amount of rotational travel to chew up ash and clinkers.

It takes heat, pressure, and time to make those big hard clinkers.

Pressure,..
Yours and Tony's firepots are deeper than my GW6. But I've got a 19 inch tall column's weight of 25 pounds of additional coal resting on the center of the firebed with the magazine and I still don't get clinkers that jam the grates with 12 hour tendings.

Heat,....
So, it's likely a too-hot firebed is your problem,

Time,...
Tony's hard clinker problem is likely caused by waiting too long to tend to get rid of the clinkers while they are still at the crumbly stage.

With the GW6 I tend every 12 hours. And at that, it's so close to fusion temps that the tapered pot is bridging and supporting the extra weight of that 25 pounds of coal in the mag. But the triangular grate teeth can still manage to chew up whatever clinkers that a 12 hour bridge has formed. And they are the identical size to the grate teeth in Tony's GW#8.

And one other thing that contributes to pressure - as I mentioned to Wren in another thread, I NEVER push down the bridge in the middle where the firebed is hottest and closest to fusion/clinker forming. I turn the right-angle tip of the poker flat against the firebricks and run it down between the firebed and bricks to get the bridging to drop.

Before I replaced the warped grates in the range I could not daily grind and dump those clinkers, like now. They would harden and grow larger until the bottom half of the firebed was filled with dead ash and clinkers. Then the heat output would slowly drop off until after a week I'd have to shut down, clean out the clinkers (some almost as big as yours) and restart the firebed.

Paul

mntbugy
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 2:03 pm

All my deashing is done from below up including collapsing the bridge.

Some of the trouble is depth of fire.
Sorry Paul ,but 9-10 in fire depth is nothing compared to Scott and my heaters. We have fire depths of 14-16 inches. That makes a GW 6's fire half way in the magazine. An apples and Orange comparison. Just saying.

In my eyes it's coal and/or temps.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 2:17 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 1:00 pm
My bigger clinkers are formed above or in the bridge. I floss thru clinker door, then gentle shake left and right. Then go back in and collapse the bridge. Then another gentle shake to clean the bridging ash. That is when the bigger than a silver dollar clinkers show them selves.
Small clinkers around the permimeter are ok be me. The big boys are always in the center, sometimes they work their way to the outside edge.

Spot welding cooling fins would do wonders to get heat away from the stove.

That is the same procedure I use.

Spoke to TCALO (he bought my C40) and he does this type of shakedown with no giant clinkers. I do not know what brand coal he burns.

In fact I was told I bought LA but have no way to prove it as it was bagged in generic white bags by the shipper. It’s clean, very shiny and has white ash.

The Stewart is going to get a rest next season. I’m building another C40 for 2019/2020. It has a 36 inch barrel but the cooling fins have yet to be welded on.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 2:21 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Sorry Paul ,but 9-10 in fire depth is nothing compared to Scott and my heaters. We have fire depths of 14-16 inches. That makes a GW 6's fire half way in the magazine. An apples and Orange comparison. Just saying.

I think my firepot is at least 14 deep...would have to dig through the PP Stewart thread and check.

All of the above + time of burn...but Tony’s G8 makes em too.

mntbugy

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 2:29 pm

Scott, put the super sized fins just above fire pot height. Maybe a wider diameter trim ring to?????

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 2:32 pm

I’m going to put as many fins as possible along the entire length where possible.

A Crawford upper “ring” is three separate nickel parts so that would present a dilemma. The Stewart is just gonna be sidelined for next season. Plus I gotta finish that freakin monster Rathbone Sard I have no use for hahahahaha!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 3:01 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 2:03 pm

I think you missed the part where I said my GW6 has 19 inch high 25 pounds of coal sitting on top of the mounded-up middle of the firebed.

Yes, without the magazine my GW 6 firebed is over ten inches deep mounded up in the center. But, the magazine changes all that. The mag is not sealed at the top, or sealed well at it's lid so it pulls in some air. After a few hours, the bottom 6 inches of that mag is glowing bright red and the coal is burning up into the mag, too. So, it's closer to your firepot fire depth than you realize- possibly even deeper.

The magazine being just a hollow tube, it does not support any of the weight of the coal in it. So the firebed and mag is 75 pounds of coal - of which the center 6 inches, from grates to mag lid is a 29 inches high column of coal all resting in the hottest part of the firebed which, about the bottom half of that 29 inches high coal is burning coal.

And the bridging I get after 12hours can support that weight after I've rotated the grates and ground off the bottom inch or two of the firebed before I break the bridging loose from the firebricks.

Speaking of apples to oranges, Scotts and Tony's may seem the same, but they are not A to A, O to O.

As I said, one of the three causes of clinkers - pressure- is not likely the cause. I have more depth of firebed than Scott's. What I don't have is a firepot with additional heat shielding and still bathed in heat outside like Scott's.

What I do have is a firepot like Tony's, but with a deeper burning firebed. But I don't wait 24 hours to grind up clinkers.

And I'm down to the last few bags of a ton of Lehigh Stove coal that I've run through in both stoves, plus over a dozen bags of Lehigh nut coal before that. Doesn't clinker in either stove any more or less than other brands or the bulk I've tried.

So, I'm sticking with my opinion that the clinkers are from running too hot for Scott' stove, and too long between tendings for Tony's.

Paul

mntbugy

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 3:30 pm

I got 20* in the pot and 40* in the mag on my little mica globe pushing down.
Burning pea. I can make clinkers too.
It will drop a softball clinker as quick as a turd drops.
Last edited by mntbugy on Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Maybe I didn’t really get Lehigh?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 3:42 pm

scalabro wrote:
Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 2:17 pm
Spoke to TCALO (he bought my C40) and he does this type of shakedown with no giant clinkers. I do not know what brand coal he burns.
I use bagged Blaschak stove coal, switched from bulk nut (unknown source).

I open the stove up and dump the ash pan. Primary and mpd 100% open, stove in direct draft. Pan goes back in and primary gets completely shut. At this point the stove is burning around 400+. I pull the draw center grate and dig around under the bed through the clinker door until the bed collapses. She bridges nicely (at temps above 400). Slide the grate back in and give it a few nice shakes to clear the remaining ash. Open the primary back up 100% and fill that pig full. She’s back to operating temps in no time. Button her up for the long burn.

I rarely get a clinker...and when I do they aren’t much bigger than a golf ball. Temps definataly are a contributing factor. I tend to get clinkers the hotter I run. I got them daily running the G109, I also pushed that stove more!

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 3:57 pm

That’s exactly how I shake the Stewart and I do remember that your C40 would eat anything, fines and all, especially with stove size. This Stewart not so much, it really likes coal to be on the clean side.

I can’t believe that I’ve “over insulated” the fire pot. It seems to me the more the better especially when running low as ignition temps can be maintained at lower primary air settings? So on high settings it’s that not enough heat is getting extracted from the fire pot?

That’s my guess anyway 😬

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 4:43 pm

scalabro wrote:
Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 3:57 pm
That’s exactly how I shake the Stewart and I do remember that your C40 would eat anything, fines and all, especially with stove size. This Stewart not so much, it really likes coal to be on the clean side.
My G109 was fussy too. It liked clean coal, anything less and it would run sluggish.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”