New to coal - with a shining gem of a base burner: McClary 114 with Piggyback Oven!

DonKom
Baseburners & Antiques: McClary No. 114 base burner w/ oven

Post by DonKom » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 5:43 pm

Hey All,

I've been lurking here for a while, trying to learn as much as I can before making this purchase. I had always had my heart set on a base burner for the design and beauty perspective, but there was something so novel about having a piggyback oven. Problem is, they are nearly impossible to find and often drastically increase the price of the stove. They seem to be a little more common in Canada however, and I tracked one down.
IMG_20190118_164726.jpg
.JPG | 570KB | IMG_20190118_164726.jpg
By the way, it's standing sideways for W.E.T.T. certification, required here in Canada for insurance purposes. I'll need to have steel metal behind and on the ceiling, with a back clearance of 16" and a front clearance of 18", impossible for the space with the oven against the back wall. Until I can get the masonry reworked, she'll stand sideways. That's a project for another day - I'll just put up the sheet metal and get a proper pipe in place for now.
IMG_20190118_164740.jpg
.JPG | 482.9KB | IMG_20190118_164740.jpg
Everything looks like new, perhaps better than new. The Mica I'll replace with clean/clear stuff, but whoever did the restoration didn't nickel plate this... they chromed it. There are a few blemishes in the chrome if you look close enough, but it's fine by me.
IMG_20190118_164827.jpg
.JPG | 363.6KB | IMG_20190118_164827.jpg
IMG_20190118_164835.jpg
.JPG | 412.3KB | IMG_20190118_164835.jpg
Firepot and grates all look good! In the off-season I might get another set cast, just in case these wear out or crack... it would be impossible to find another set I think, as this is the only McClary 114 I've ever seen... and I've done a lot of digging.
IMG_20190118_164928.jpg
.JPG | 493.8KB | IMG_20190118_164928.jpg
IMG_20190118_165109.jpg
.JPG | 421.4KB | IMG_20190118_165109.jpg
Everything seems to function smoothly, the hopper is intact, the trivets on the back sparkle, I'm really happy with this stove. I'm working on getting a load of anthracite now, but it's hard to get as the nearest seller is a 2.5 hour drive away. Inspections and approval come first, and that should happen within a week.

A little history: McClary was a Canadian manufacturer of stoves and mimicked a lot of the designs from other manufacturers (they all seemed to borrow from each-other) but you won't see many of their products in the US even though they were fairly close in London, Ontario. This stove I can date to the late 1800's, but they continued to make versions of it much later, at least into the mid-1910's. I'm not sure if such luxuries were still made during the Great War, but I found this catalog from 1914 that lists them: https://archive.org/details/CatalogueEighty-sixCo ... 4/page/n69

This would be the equivalent of the 324 model, but it didn't have separate front "wings", they are built into the doors on the 114 and therefore not nickeled / chromed. The other details seem to be largely the same.

Okay, now as a newbie I have a few questions.

1: Starting a coal fire in one of these beauties. I've watched a number of videos, some start with paper and wood and gradually get up to coal, but the smoke would take a toll on the mica windows. I've seen others where they start the fire with charcoal for a cleaner startup, but there are complaints about the smell (especially match light charcoal). Still others use a high-wattage heat gun! What's the best way to get this thing going without having to deal with dirty windows?

2: As I understand it, I can fill the hopper well above the firebox, which is why that chute-like shape is there. "Gravity" does the work... but how does this play out in practice? The coal will burn from the bottom up, but at a certain point the fire will be too far away from the air intake with ash build up. Can anyone describe the burn process here?

3: Sealing. These are not air-tight stoves, and it really wasn't possible to make them that way in that era. In fact, there are holes in the bottom set of front doors on purpose so that air can get in above the coals and help burn off additional gasses escaping the combustion. My initial thought was that no sealing around the doors would be useful in any way - is that correct?

4. Has anyone ever cooked in/on a piggyback oven before? Curious to know your thoughts! The oven itself is rather small, but a delicious load of bread could easily be made in there.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go, but this post should serve as an introduction. My name is Don Komarechka, I'm a professional photographer and while I use the latest and greatest technology to push the limits of that art form, I also love when things are simple. hence my interest in this functional and beautiful antique that I'll never part with. :D

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 5:58 pm

WOW nice find. Sure looks pretty.

You will get lots of comments and information on that one.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Welcome DK,
What a beautiful find !!!!!

I have two stoves with mica windows. To start them I use plain BBQ charcoal and just sprinkle some kerosene on it. Then give it plenty of air after lighting it up. Doesn't fog the mica with soot. If you don't give any starter fuel enough air to burn clean, then it will soot up the mica.

I can buy a big bag of BBQ charcoal and a gallon of kero for what a small bag of Match Light costs. Plus I've had some bags of Match light that wouldn't light because I bought them after the BBQ season and the lighter fluid in them had evaporated away by the time stove season came around.

FYI, Hoppers are on new stoves. antiques used "magazines". The coal does not burn up into the mag, just pre-heats, so no worries. And your very lucky. Not all those base burners still have their magazine.

Right, they were not "air tight" in our modern sense. But that's fine as long as they seal well enough to be controllable with the dampers.

With those two round cover surfaces on top of the oven you have more than just an oven to cook with !!! See the Cookin' With Coal" thread about cooking with antique stoves. I'd love to see your contributions to that thread of your experiences with such a unique way of cooking and baking. Try reading here when you get the time. Cookin' With Coal

And your in good company. We have another pro photographer who does a lot of cooking on an antique coal range - both coal and wood. His name is Randy - screen name Photog2000.

Paul

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Welcome and Beautiful stove! I have always loved the mica window stoves about 10 years ago I passed on a square Stewart brand stove because i could burn wood in it then I switched to coal anyways, ugh.
Nice find, and I too look forward to your experiences with cooking with it.
Dana

bruker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Wehrle Placid

Post by bruker » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:36 pm

That stove looks great no matter what side you look at. Leave it sideways so it's easier to use the oven.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:38 pm

One heck of a 1st post! Its a beauty!

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:07 pm

I can buy a big bag of BBQ charcoal and a gallon of kero for what a small bag of Match Light costs. Plus I've had some bags of Match light that wouldn't light because I bought them after the BBQ season and the lighter fluid in them had evaporated away by the time stove season came around.

FYI, Hoppers are on new stoves. antiques used "magazines". The coal does not burn up into the mag, just pre-heats, so no worries. And your very lucky. Not all those base burners still have their magazine.
Thanks Paul, shouldn't be too hard to get charcoal and kerosene from any local hardware store! Also,m thanks for the correction between "hopper" and "magazine". Been reading too much lately on this stuff and I got my wires crossed. Good to know that it just works - I was worried that I was missing something. The guy that sold it to me had a McClary 414 with the oven on the back (bigger model) but it was missing the magazine. He also had a few unrestored stoves with piggyback ovens, said it was a retirement project to restore them and sell them.

D.lapan wrote:
Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:28 pm
Welcome and Beautiful stove! I have always loved the mica window stoves about 10 years ago I passed on a square Stewart brand stove because i could burn wood in it then I switched to coal anyways, ugh.
Nice find, and I too look forward to your experiences with cooking with it.
Dana
Yeah, I knew that if I passed on this one now I would be a long time, maybe never, to find another one this complete. It'll be a fun stove to cook with, I just need to find the right size of cast iron dishes now!
bruker wrote:
Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:36 pm
That stove looks great no matter what side you look at. Leave it sideways so it's easier to use the oven.
Brilliant, I like your thinking! I was planning on getting something more stylish than the boring brown bricks - I've always enjoyed the interlocking stone slab look... of course, I can always just paint the bricks.
warminmn wrote:
Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:38 pm
One heck of a 1st post! Its a beauty!
Thanks very much! Wait until you see my photographic skills at work on this stove when it's hot... I promise you a stove photo that will rival the best you've seen. :)

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 10:21 pm

Welcome. Your stove tracking skills are excellent. What a beautiful find. More pics would be excellent. BP

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks BP,

Here are some additional photos.
IMG_20190119_105623.jpg
.JPG | 521KB | IMG_20190119_105623.jpg
IMG_20190119_105733.jpg
.JPG | 423.2KB | IMG_20190119_105733.jpg
IMG_20190119_105527.jpg
.JPG | 575.8KB | IMG_20190119_105527.jpg
IMG_20190119_105543.jpg
.JPG | 405.1KB | IMG_20190119_105543.jpg
Also, I found a catalog dating back to 1892 that details a "No. 1" and "No. 2" version of these base burners, with the former having an oven option: https://archive.org/details/cihm_58200/page/n17

This design predates my 114, putting the age of this stove somewhere between 1893 and 1913. I wish I could narrow it down farther than that. Fun fact though, McClary mentions in their advertising that the original patterns for this stove cost $8000, as if to brag that they spent so much on the design. In 2019 dollars that's just over $220,000. Doesn't seem that high for the cost of designing something today!

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 11:36 am

That’s quite nice!

Have you seen the stove running at some point? Did you buy it after a professional or documented restoration?If it were me, and I wish it was hahahahaha... I’d take it all the way down for inspection/repair to make sure you are not potentially damaging such a rare piece of history.

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 11:45 am

The stove was professionally restored with the exception of the mica windows which were kept original. Not sure why, maybe just for the classic feel instead of the more modern clear mica that I have on order. I haven't seen it running but I'll do an inspection when I have the W.E.T.T. inspector here who will approve of all the clearances, shielding, etc.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 11:53 am

I agree with the idea to leave the stove sideways, but since the oven and cook top can be used from either side, you may want to think about turning the stove 180 degrees to make using the shaker handle easier and safer by not having to reach past what will become very hot surfaces.

Leaning over and having your face near all that mica is going to get very uncomfortable, very quickly. :o

I know because I have to do similar to that to reach down to shake ash with my #6 base heater. And it only has three windows near about where my face winds up.

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 3:28 pm

True that you beat me to it Paul

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Wow thats a very nice stove especially for your 1st coal stove :yes: , You definitely found the right place to come! Your in good company now! (bunch of coal burning wack jobs :lol: )

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 5:16 pm

You've got a very valid point about the side the stove is pointing! Still, it looks much better at this angle... since the front is facing the door to the room... I think I'll give it a try this way and then realize how right you were. :)
Keepaeyeonit wrote:
Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 4:33 pm
Wow thats a very nice stove especially for your 1st coal stove :yes: , You definitely found the right place to come! Your in good company now! (bunch of coal burning wack jobs :lol: )
Hah, thanks! I was of the mindset that this one be my only stove so it had to have everything I could ever want. Unless I buy a cottage, which is unlikely because our backyards are basically a botanical garden, this will be the one and only. Go big or go home!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”