New to coal - with a shining gem of a base burner: McClary 114 with Piggyback Oven!

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 5:54 pm

The cast iron monsters on Facebook's
Antique Stove Collectors site. Would love to see pictures of your heater.

DonKom
Baseburners & Antiques: McClary No. 114 base burner w/ oven

Post by DonKom » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks - just made a post there as well. :)

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 12:25 pm

For starting a fire I find natural lump charcoal , not the briquettes,and newspaper are all you need . A few pages of balled up newspaper covered with natural charcoal in the fire pot, open the draft and light from the bottom. I usually light a ball of newspaper in the ash pan to get it going. If the manometer shows low draft I may first light a ball of newspaper on top the charcoal to warm things up. . Works every time.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 8:49 pm

A very beautiful stove! What a gem.

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 11:44 am

biggerpatterson wrote:
Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 12:25 pm
For starting a fire I find natural lump charcoal , not the briquettes,and newspaper are all you need . A few pages of balled up newspaper covered with natural charcoal in the fire pot, open the draft and light from the bottom. I usually light a ball of newspaper in the ash pan to get it going. If the manometer shows low draft I may first light a ball of newspaper on top the charcoal to warm things up. . Works every time.
Excellent advice - so you don't use any liquid fuel like lighter fluid or kerosene - just a ball of newspaper below it? Definitely worth trying!
CoalHeat wrote:
Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 8:49 pm
A very beautiful stove! What a gem.
I'm lucky to own it... it's my hope that it stays as a family heirloom for generations to come. :)

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Congratulations! I've been searching for one with an oven for over 5 years now and only ran across one that was just missing too many parts.

I also agree with leaving it sidewise. It's definitely a Gem ! :clap:

I wouldn't worry about leaving it in that position with the shaker toward the wall. I have the identical grates in a few of my mica stoves and actually prefer them to the triangular grates.

I find that the most efficient way to shake it down is to give the outer grate a brisk side to side shake until you have glowing coals in between the bottom fingers. Then shake the clamshells a bit until you feel resistance and get some glowing coals in the ash pan.

Then ,open the bottom doors one at a time and floss downward between the fingers with a thin rod until the bottom windows are glowing bright.

Next just top off the magazine, sit back and enjoy it. The whole procedure takes under 5 minutes twice a day.

Paulie
Last edited by Pauliewog on Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 3:28 pm

I just realized where the Victorians got the idea for that stove design,....

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_yl ... fr=yfp-t-s

:D

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 3:28 pm

Yep the feature has been called a bustle, a caboose or a piggy back realative to time and locality's

Paul

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 10:28 am

Pauliewog wrote:
Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 3:07 pm
Congratulations! I've been searching for one with an oven for over 5 years now and only ran across one that was just missing too many parts.

I also agree with leaving it sidewise. It's definitely a Gem ! :clap:

I wouldn't worry about leaving it in that position with the shaker toward the wall. I have the identical grates in a few of my mica stoves and actually prefer them to the triangular grates.

I find that the most efficient way to shake it down is to give the outer grate a brisk side to side shake until you have glowing coals in between the bottom fingers. Then shake the clamshells a bit until you feel resistance and get some glowing coals in the ash pan.

Then ,open the bottom doors one at a time and floss downward between the fingers with a thin rod until the bottom windows are glowing bright.

Next just top off the magazine, sit back and enjoy it. The whole procedure takes under 5 minutes twice a day.

Paulie
Thanks for the advice and technique here, Paulie! The guy I bought it off of had what looked like a McClary 414 which is the bigger brother to this one with a piggyback oven, seemed to only be missing the magazine. He also had a number of unrestored base burners with piggyback ovens in various conditions, but I didn't check them for completeness. Let me know if you want his contact information.

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 3:28 pm

Paul
Hah, I totally see the connection!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 3:07 pm
The whole procedure takes under 5 minutes twice a day.

Paulie
It's taking me 30 minutes of baby sitting this wood stove just to get it going, and only then with both doors open. Ugghhh!!!! I'm not even going to tell you about the re-starts. This wood stove is horrible and I can't wait to get a good coal stove.

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 9:59 am

Hoytman wrote:
Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 8:42 pm
It's taking me 30 minutes of baby sitting this wood stove just to get it going, and only then with both doors open. Ugghhh!!!! I'm not even going to tell you about the re-starts. This wood stove is horrible and I can't wait to get a good coal stove.
I was never a fan of the start-up times for my wood stove. It was a more modern and efficient variety made by Pacific Energy but the ramp-up time, frequency of refueling, and then the fact that you need to do a hard restart when too much ash builds up? Glad those days are behind me. :)

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 4:43 pm

That's the same impression many forum members here have given me.

I love the smell of wood smoke to a degree, but dang this thing smokes up the house bad. Before I complain too much I need to get a manometer to check my draft though. I also need to measure this chimney. It's inside the home, masonry, but I'm going to guess it's right at the minimum height for fire code. If it's 15 or 16ft. above the thimble I'll be lucky. It's awfully close. Single story home, vent is in the middle of the peak of the roof, approximately 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the peak of the roof.

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 5:08 pm

I've just had the inspectors here today and thankfully we don't need to put sheet metal (heat shield) on the back wall, only the ceiling, and it can be painted with any paint so I'll just apply the same ceiling paint to it and we'll be up to code for uncertified appliances. Should be able to fire it up next week, so long as I have some coal to burn! That hasn't arrived yet.

DonKom

Post by DonKom » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 4:00 pm

Update: Heat shield installed on the ceiling (will paint it at a later date) and stove pipe installed. Repairs inside the chimney with refractory cement were needed as well, once that dries I'll be able to fire her up... first thing tomorrow morning. :)

Wish me luck!
IMG_20190130_155044.jpg
.JPG | 504.8KB | IMG_20190130_155044.jpg

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Be ready to open some windows at first fire I’m sure the paint will stink when it gets up to temp,
What kind of temps are you having in your area?
Dana

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”