Modern baseburner reproduction

Smart_Ash
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 1.0 Hitzer 50-93

Post by Smart_Ash » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 11:44 am

Just a quick question. Why are there no modern reproduction of antique baseburners? A modern stove with a bimetallic thermostat would be nice.

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 12:45 pm

I think the over all cost of manufacturing and testing would be the real life killer of that idea, if a normal box coal it wood stove cost a grand or 2 one like that I can only imagine what would be the price tag. I know getting stuff ul tester is very expensive
Dana

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 2:36 pm

As it is, restored original base heaters go for $3000 and more. Base burners go for $5000.00 - $7000. 00 and more.

Repro's of either type would be even more expensive to make. That would reduce the demand considerably. So the cost per unit would very likely not come down enough to bring production costs down.

Plus, your fighting to establish a market that has been brain-washed that coal is dirty and polluting, and wood is "green" and renewable. That's ironic (moronic ?) when you consider that the EPA has more than once, put tighter pollution regulations on new wood stoves, where as, there are none for coal stoves.

Paul

Ky Speedracer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Florence HotBlast NO.68 & Potbelly
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HotBlast 1557M
Coal Size/Type: Ky Lump & Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Ky Speedracer » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 3:17 pm

There was a guy in MI several years ago that built a cylinder stove (its not a baseburner) that burned wood or coal. I'm not sure if he is still in business or if you can even find this product but the video was interesting...

Lawson Stoves was the name of the company.

Update: you can find some of his parts on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawson-Grate-Ring-Assemb ... rk:10:pf:0

Looks like they focus on propane cylinder conversions.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 3:43 pm

i remember a few years ago Larry at Chubby Stoves was floating the idea of something along these lines. I'm sure we would all be shocked at the costs of patents and UL testing, then to have parts cast in bulk, etc. It would be a major investment for anyone to pull off, and years in the doing before they even saw a dollar of profit.

Smart_Ash
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 1.0 Hitzer 50-93

Post by Smart_Ash » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 4:02 pm

I can understand what it takes to put a stove into production. Maybe it’s that time during the winter when I question the efficiency of my 50-93. I love the stove. Maybe I’m just bummed out by the rectangular fire box with a hole in the back of it. Seems like there was a lot more “technology” put into the old stoves. I guess that’s what I’m looking for.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Smart_Ash wrote:
Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 11:44 am
A modern stove with a bimetallic thermostat would be nice.
Hitzer, saey Hannover.. both have different size stoves with bimetallic controls..

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Smart_Ash wrote:
Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 4:02 pm
I can understand what it takes to put a stove into production. Maybe it’s that time during the winter when I question the efficiency of my 50-93. I love the stove. Maybe I’m just bummed out by the rectangular fire box with a hole in the back of it. Seems like there was a lot more “technology” put into the old stoves. I guess that’s what I’m looking for.
And you'd be right in thinking that.

Our own Dr. Frankenstein,... Steve (screen name Kingcoal), has converted a modern stove into a base heater and shown there is a gain in BTU efficiency.

Paul

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Base burner for 5 to 7 grand boy I cant complain about the 1100 I paid for my micca base burner.

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 8:35 am

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 3:43 pm
i remember a few years ago Larry at Chubby Stoves was floating the idea of something along these lines. I'm sure we would all be shocked at the costs of patents and UL testing, then to have parts cast in bulk, etc. It would be a major investment for anyone to pull off, and years in the doing before they even saw a dollar of profit.
For a long time Tractor Supply was selling a reproduction potbelly stove for coal. I was browsing Tractor Supply website back in November and they still had it. It specifically said "not UL listed". I don't see it on their website anymore. I had seen the same stove for sale on Alibaba website, so I suspect it was a Chinese import.

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 9:25 am

I think this is the manual for the potbelly stove I saw for sale at Tractor Supply.

https://www.usstove.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/ ... manual.pdf

On the cover it says "NOTE: THIS IS NOT A U.L. LISTED COAL BURNING STOVE"

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 9:34 am

gardener wrote:
Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 8:35 am
For a long time Tractor Supply was selling a reproduction potbelly stove for coal. I was browsing Tractor Supply website back in November and they still had it. It specifically said "not UL listed". I don't see it on their website anymore. I had seen the same stove for sale on Alibaba website, so I suspect it was a Chinese import.
Many people will not buy one that isnt UL listed, and since its not a pre-UL stove I bet it could be tough to get insurance in some areas of the country. One of the ways they get around the UL listing is by not having it airtight so using it for anthracite can be difficult. These types may or may not have gotten banned after the last EPA laws went into effect a couple years ago, which was aimed at wood stove efficiency/pollution. The stove type your referring too does not make much pollution as it burns fast with little smoke.

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 10:02 am

Smart_Ash,
You should check out the thread "A 1980 Reproduction" in the 'Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite' forum.
That is a nice looking reproduction!
warminmn wrote:
Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 9:34 am
Many people will not buy one that isnt UL listed, and since its not a pre-UL stove I bet it could be tough to get insurance in some areas of the country. One of the ways they get around the UL listing is by not having it airtight so using it for anthracite can be difficult. These types may or may not have gotten banned after the last EPA laws went into effect a couple years ago, which was aimed at wood stove efficiency/pollution. The stove type your referring too does not make much pollution as it burns fast with little smoke.
I would be on the fence about it considering the clearances for non-UL solid fuel heating appliance.
I would think you would have to shop insurance agents to find someone who understands regulations.
I think I saw a thread on here of someone that properly placed their antique stove according the non-UL clearance and it was practically in the middle of their small room... like 3 feet from walls???

On the second photo in the thread I mentioned above, that reproduction has the UL plate, which ruins it for me. Granted in most homes I doubt people would be looking at the lower backside of the stove. I wonder if the UL plate could be attached to the underside of the base?

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 10:33 am

another worthwhile thread to read in this forum is "New Manufacture of Antique Stoves"

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 10:42 am

A true baseburner stove (as is title of this thread) has a large number of intregate and somewhat precise fitting pieces...and would hardly compare to any simple and crude offering found in TSC's solid fuel seasonal displays.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”