Crawford Treasure 12

oldschoolhouse
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Sun mogul 295 laundry stove
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Treasure 12
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by oldschoolhouse » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 6:55 pm

I recently picked up a complete but sadly neglected crawford treasure 12. I was wondering if anyone has any information about how old it is. It is almost identical to a crystal. Waiting on the sheet metal I ordered to arrive so i can make the new barrel and back pipe. Hopefully it will be up and running next weekend.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 9:50 pm

we'll be waiting and watching for pics and updates.

do you have any pictures of the stove or know of any online ?

steve

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 10:13 pm

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 10:42 pm

Yes that's the one. Not the one I bought though. That post showed up a few weeks after, once I had my stove taken apart. Almost choked when I saw the price. I only took a few pictures with my phone before I started to break her down. It looked alot like that But a bit more orange. I have been heating with my old montgomery wards laundry stove but its getting colder here in Maine and figured I should up size. I had been looking for something since June and when I found it I had to have it. I dipped all the cast iron through the electrolysis tank and polished it. did the same with the rusty old nickel. Its bare in spots but its nice and shiny since I put it through the buffing wheel. Maybe next summer I'll learn how to dip nickel at home. I ordered 24 gauge steel sheet to replace the 30 guage barrel and back pipe- they were rusted through in a few places. With the mucky wintery mix we've had in the midcoast this week the steel delivery truck must have been late. I was able to save the top two rows of firebrick but the pot was full of ash and clinker when it was stored for about 60 years and the bottom two rows crumbled in my hands as I removed them.
I made moulds out of wood and cardboard covered in boat shrink wrap cover tape and cast new firebrick. They turned out pretty good. Plenty of castable refractory leftover to smooth it all out when I install them.

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 10:45 pm

For anyone reading this who is looking for castable refractory Amazon prime gave me free shipping on a 25 pound tub of rutland castable. It was cheaper than I could have it ordered at the local hardware store and half the price of Heat Stop II which is what i've used in the past

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 10:51 pm

The chrystal crawfrord 112 restoration thread has been extremely helpful to me and I would like to note that most of the parts on my stove were stamped with both Treasure and Chrystal, also oakland on the pack pipe fittings. Maybe if g13w00d-man reads this he could help out with the history or any tips for me.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 10:57 pm

oldschoolhouse wrote:
Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 10:42 pm
Yes that's the one. Not the one I bought though. That post showed up a few weeks after, once I had my stove taken apart. Almost choked when I saw the price. I only took a few pictures with my phone before I started to break her down. It looked alot like that But a bit more orange. I have been heating with my old montgomery wards laundry stove but its getting colder here in Maine and figured I should up size. I had been looking for something since June and when I found it I had to have it. I dipped all the cast iron through the electrolysis tank and polished it. did the same with the rusty old nickel. Its bare in spots but its nice and shiny since I put it through the buffing wheel. Maybe next summer I'll learn how to dip nickel at home. I ordered 24 gauge steel sheet to replace the 30 guage barrel and back pipe- they were rusted through in a few places. With the mucky wintery mix we've had in the midcoast this week the steel delivery truck must have been late. I was able to save the top two rows of firebrick but the pot was full of ash and clinker when it was stored for about 60 years and the bottom two rows crumbled in my hands as I removed them.
I made moulds out of wood and cardboard covered in boat shrink wrap cover tape and cast new firebrick. They turned out pretty good. Plenty of castable refractory leftover to smooth it all out when I install them.

We like old stove pictures and we have a saying around here... "No pictures, then it didn't happen". :D

Can you post pictures of your stove and the resto work your doing ?

paul

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Fri. Jan. 11, 2019 11:26 pm

I'll see what I can put together tomorow. I only figured out how to post a new forum today though I've been a member for a few weeks. I'm not very computer literate for someone my age. the base is already put together, everything has been de-rustified and is ready to be assembled when I get the new barrel and backpipe made

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Just an update for you all. The sheet metal should be cut and ready for pickup tomorrow, hopefully before the snow starts to fly. Once I have the pieces in hand it should be a snap to get the new barrel and backpipe made, and then the assembly can begin. I haven't been able to post pictures yet, but I will rectify that this weekend. The lighting in my shop is subpar and the pictures I take when I get home from work are quite disappointing. Does anyone here have any experience with this stove or a similar size and type? I'm curious to see how much heat she throws off.

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 10:50 pm

IMG_1270.JPG
.JPG | 16.3KB | IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
.JPG | 15.2KB | IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG
.JPG | 16.5KB | IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG
.JPG | 17.5KB | IMG_1239.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG
.JPG | 14.6KB | IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
.JPG | 16.9KB | IMG_1216.JPG

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 10:54 pm

The Treasure 12 is ready to be installed tomorrow when I get home from work. I was able to have my wife take some pictures of the process of making the new pipes. She did have to help me a bit so there are some steps missing. The firebricks I cast fit pretty well but I had to smooth the firepot out and fill in some gaps. I'm pretty satisfied with the results. I was going to paint it on Saturday before I put it all together but the snow started falling and I had to scuttle that idea. I will apply polish as soon as the tube that was in my truck this afternoon thaws out.

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Well she is up and going. I had a bit of a snafu when i first lit the fire. I was just burning some chunks of wood in there to cure the fire brick and such and I decided to turn the pack pipe damper. Honestly, nice and easy, and there was a crack and the handle spun freely. The pin had cracked right where a cotter pin goes to hold it all together. I let the fire burn out, which seemed to take forever, and removed the back pipe and damper. Luckily I had an old triangle file that is just the right size to work. It will work for now, but I will send the old broken one off to be recast asap. Relit the fire and threw on some coal. I had nice long flames and a good red bed down and filled it about a third, Just until I lost the blue ladies. Waiting to see what happens next.

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Tue. Jan. 22, 2019 8:05 pm

IMG_1281.JPG
.JPG | 17.9KB | IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
.JPG | 16.9KB | IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG
.JPG | 19.3KB | IMG_1279.JPG

oldschoolhouse

Post by oldschoolhouse » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 8:03 pm

The first full burn lasted all night, Still had blue flames when I woke up. Shook it at 6 this am and loaded all the way to the top. I took the day off from work just to make sure that nothing bad would happen with it. Burned for 12 hours, 5 of which the primary draft was mostly open as well as the over fire air on the load door. Then I shut the draft down to about an eight of an inch crack and left the over fire air alone. Shook down at 6 on the dot. had about 4 inches of red hot coals. Filled her all the way to the top of the brick. Blue ladies appeared 42 minutes later. I have had the stove in indirect mode since last night, and the mpd is mostly closed. It sure is warm in the house. My boss stopped by to check it out today on his way out of town and was taken aback by how much heat it was throwing off. Pretty deluxe.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Congrats on your first overnighter. :clap: Not many can do that with a small stove they are just starting out with.

And it's interesting that it ran so long with the secondary air fully open. With some stoves, that will eventually stall the fire by cooling the exhaust and slowly reduce the draft strength. Made especially so considering how large the back pipe is in heat extracting area in proportion to the firebed's heat volume output size. It's as big as the back pipe on some much larger stoves. No wonder it's throwing off so much heat.

Your chimney must draft very well ?

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”