Glenwood #6 Baseheater for sale

oldmanstyle
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Anthracite

Post by oldmanstyle » Wed. Jan. 09, 2019 8:56 pm

I’ve got a Glenwood 6 Baseheater restored by Barnstable Stove Shop up for sale. Thought I’d post it here before E Bay and Craigslist. I run a Glenwood #8 in my home and intended to use this stove for my garage, but, have decided to go in another direction. $3200.00
Located in Ashtabula, Ohio
Serious inquiries are welcome to call 440-813-7903

Attachments

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Beautiful stove! I am curious if this stove is then part Glenwood and part Weir stove co? Never seen a Glenwood like this before. Either way best of luck with the sale!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Userj8670 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 2:33 pm
Beautiful stove! I am curious if this stove is then part Glenwood and part Weir stove co? Never seen a Glenwood like this before. Either way best of luck with the sale!
UJ,
"Weir" is the name of the company that made Glenwood stoves. It's cast into each - usually on the back of parlor stoves and right side of kitchen ranges. Whereas the name Glenwood shows up on the front.

Many early stove manufactures used a different name on their line of stoves than the company's name.

And yes, it's a beauty. Quite a few of us on this forum are lucky enough to be able to have one. ;)

Paul

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks for the relpy! Granted I am not as knowledgeable as yourself - so forgive me if this is a dumb question- but the glenwoods I have seen appear to have a different back pipe (with visible check damper) unlike this one?

I love learning about this stuff!

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Userj8670 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 4:45 pm
Thanks for the relpy! Granted I am not as knowledgeable as yourself - so forgive me if this is a dumb question- but the glenwoods I have seen appear to have a different back pipe (with visible check damper) unlike this one?

I love learning about this stuff!
No problem UJ.

We having a saying here, "The only dumb question is the one not asked." ;)

The Glen Glenwood base heaters have a built-in back pipe as they need it to connect the exit collar to the base chamber under the ash pan area to duct hot exhaust down into that chamber. That increases the heat extracting area of the stove, plus sheds heat down lower in the room for increased heating. The resistance to flow through the pipe and chamber also helps slow the exhaust gas speed to allow more time for heat transfer. So to be a base heater that back pipe is a permanent part of the stove.

On other Glenwoods that are known as "Oak" type, which are in the same class of cylinder stoves like the base heaters, the back pipe was an option. Like the base heaters, it can increase the exhaust flue length plus slow the speed, thus also extracting more heat before the exhaust gets to the chimney. But, there is no base chamber under the ash pan area with an oak. The pipe just sits on a casting that bolts to the rear of the ash pan area for support only. It's not a permanent part of an oak like the back pipe of a base heater is.

Paul

Userj8670

Post by Userj8670 » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jan. 14, 2019 6:11 pm
No problem UJ.

We having a saying here, "The only dumb question is the one not asked." ;)

The Glen Glenwood base heaters have a built-in back pipe as they need it to connect the exit collar to the base chamber under the ash pan area to duct hot exhaust down into that chamber. That increases the heat extracting area of the stove, plus sheds heat down lower in the room for increased heating. The resistance to flow through the pipe and chamber also helps slow the exhaust gas speed to allow more time for heat transfer. So to be a base heater that back pipe is a permanent part of the stove.

On other Glenwoods that are known as "Oak" type, which are in the same class of cylinder stoves like the base heaters, the back pipe was an option. Like the base heaters, it can increase the exhaust flue length plus slow the speed, thus also extracting more heat before the exhaust gets to the chimney. But, there is no base chamber under the ash pan area with an oak. The pipe just sits on a casting that bolts to the rear of the ash pan area for support only. It's not a permanent part of an oak like the back pipe of a base heater is.

Paul
Thanks Paul. I am also curious why this one has numbers stamped onto the shaker door - don't know that I've seen that before. Also noted there is no elbow and check damper?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:23 pm

UJ,

The numbers are a foundry code that usually tell the make, models the part fits, that part number, and date the pattern was made. The stove could have been made any time after that until the pattern was changed. And that could be many years in production. So a stove with dates of say 1910, might actually have been built in 1925.... if they never changed the patterns by then.

It's not unusual to find GW stoves that the cast iron elbow that was originally included with it, is missing that elbow with built-in check damper.

Paul

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Sep. 04, 2019 8:03 pm

Doug does nice work...
And just down the road a bit for me...

oldmanstyle

Post by oldmanstyle » Sun. Oct. 06, 2019 5:29 pm

This stove is still available .
2800.00 and you own one of the best !
440-813-7903

oldmanstyle

Post by oldmanstyle » Sun. Oct. 06, 2019 5:35 pm

oldmanstyle wrote:
Wed. Jan. 09, 2019 8:56 pm
Still available !
I’ve got a Glenwood 6 Baseheater restored by Barnstable Stove Shop up for sale. Thought I’d post it here before E Bay and Craigslist. I run a Glenwood #8 in my home and intended to use this stove for my garage, but, have decided to go in another direction. $2800.00 and you own one of the best !
Located in Ashtabula, Ohio
Serious inquiries are welcome to call <a href="tel:440-813-7903">440-813-7903</a>

oldmanstyle

Post by oldmanstyle » Wed. Oct. 09, 2019 4:25 pm

This stove is still for sale.
$2800.00

coalman75
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Herald Oak #18

Post by coalman75 » Mon. Dec. 23, 2019 6:50 am

Do you ship?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Think he sold it already...

oldmanstyle

Post by oldmanstyle » Sat. Sep. 19, 2020 2:13 pm

This stove, the #6 is sold. Thanks.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”