Buckwalter Real Apollo

Heavyb50
Baseburners & Antiques: Buckwalter Real Apollo

Post by Heavyb50 » Sat. Jan. 05, 2019 7:28 pm

So this was my grandparents stove all original. Buckwalter Real Apollo out of Royersford Pa. Any ideas on what is worth? I have the right side shelf and nickel accent piece along with the ash grate handle.

Attachments

FA16EBAF-FD86-4055-89BE-DF4BA164F6D3.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.5MB | FA16EBAF-FD86-4055-89BE-DF4BA164F6D3.jpeg

biggerpatterson
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: New natural gas hot air furnace inst, 2020

Post by biggerpatterson » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 2:01 pm

It looks like it's in good shape. There are some for sale on line from folks who restore them and on ebay to give you an idea of what people are asking for similar stoves. Bottom line, it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 09, 2019 10:24 am

Very pretty roll-top range.

You left out pix of the heart of the range - the firebox and grates. That can mean the difference of if it can be used for coal, or is it a wood-only stove ? If it is just setup for wood, converting it to coal may not be possible simply because with rare kitchen ranges, often no one has grates, cogs, and a grate frame for it,.. even to have copies cast from.

You can burn wood in a stove with coal grates, but you can't burn coal with wood grates. So a stove with coal grates has more value.

And if it is a coal range the type of grates matter as to how well it can deal with ash and clinkers. Which can effect price to someone knowledgeable about coal use.

All of which can have a big affect on the price.

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jan. 09, 2019 10:54 am

Perhaps Im wrong, but if it is able to burn wood and the wood grates are still good, it may be worth almost as much to the general public than if it could also burn coal, just not to the small percentage of coal burners. Most people would just occassionally use it.

Many people would only want it for an accent piece and wouldnt even use it, and to those people exterior condition is everything.

The exterior of this stove looks in real nice condition. Use sold listing on ebay to help determine value. Dont pay any attention to asking price of unsold stoves. And as has been said there are plenty of restorers with websites you can look at prices on. If you price it a little under what it may be worth you will sell it. If you price it at value or over that you may own it a long time.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jan. 09, 2019 11:38 am

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Jan. 09, 2019 10:54 am
Perhaps Im wrong, but if it is able to burn wood and the wood grates are still good, it may be worth almost as much to the general public than if it could also burn coal, just not to the small percentage of coal burners. Most people would just occassionally use it.

Many people would only want it for an accent piece and wouldn't even use it, and to those people exterior condition is everything.

The exterior of this stove looks in real nice condition. Use sold listing on ebay to help determine value. Dont pay any attention to asking price of unsold stoves. And as has been said there are plenty of restorers with websites you can look at prices on. If you price it a little under what it may be worth you will sell it. If you price it at value or over that you may own it a long time.
Most of these ranges are also being used for heat. That's why so many of the newly manufactured ranges have huge fireboxes to be able to keep a wood fire going through the night and a work day and not have to rebuild the firebed twice a day if there's no one home during the day to tend the fire.

Try any of the stove resto shops and see if they charge more if the same model range is properly set up for coal use verses wood only.

Replacing a wood grate is not expensive, but putting in coal grates in a wood range can add a few hundred dollars to the cost.

Conversely, making a coal range burn wood is just the cost of making a steel plate with some holes drilled in it, laid on top of the coal grates. In fact some coal ranges came with a simple, flat "summer plate" for burning wood in the warmer months.

Having had to replace the coal grates and cogs in my small range cost me over $200.00 by the time all the parts were here. And I used my own patterns. The parts needed for the coal grate frame would have added about another hundred. I could have bought new wood grate parts for far less than that.

For a rare range, that may not even be doable because of lack of parts to use as patterns to recast new parts. Been there and failed finding the parts I needed at any of the resto shops. And my model is not as rare as some.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”