Glenwood 30 stove

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi , Just trying to get some information about this stove . Can anyone who is using this stove give me a idea of what size space it can comfortably heat , will it be able to heat a area 30'x30' ? Thanks.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 6:45 pm

The Glenwood #30 Oak has a 16 inch firepot, which puts it in the firepot size of a Glenwood 116 Modern Oak, or a Glenwood #6 base heater.

Is that 30x30 not well insulated,.... does it have lots of old windows,.... and where is it ? If it gets really cold, like staying down around zero Fahrenheit and not much insulation, you'll find yourself sitting next to the stove and not using most of that 30 x 30 until spring arrives. If it's UK average winter, then yes it will easily heat 30 x 30.

And being that it is an "oak" type stove, it will burn wood, peat, or hard coal. The 30 uses triangular grates so it will do well at clearing coal ash. And a coal magazine can be added, like some of us are using with our #6. However, without a secondary air feed gas ring around the top of the firepot, like the #6 has, it won't do well with soft coal.

Paul

Wal

Post by Wal » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks for the reply , It will go into our orangery ( it's a brick extension with a double glazed glass roof ) this goes thru to the open dining area and open kitchen) the orangery is 30'x12' leading into a15'x15' dining area thru to a 15'x10' kitchen . My present stove will produce around 35,000btu/h which with a magnetic fan attached to the stove pipe does a good job of getting to the majority of the rear of the house , but I think I need something that can easily pump out the heat without having it running at near max . Only looking for opinions of owners who own this type of stove as at the moment just trying to get a idea of real heat output , and obviously when funds permit will be able to make a informed decision, as i have to factor in grating, packing , insurance, shipping , + import duty to the uk 🇬🇧.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 8:04 am

Two problems with "real experience". There's not many 30 oaks around. There's lots of it's later improved design, the 116 Modern Oak.

The second and biggest problem is I doubt you'll find anyone using one to heat what you describe as where it's to go.

My #6 base heater has very close to the same sized firepot as a 30 - about 50 lbs of nut coal. With a back pipe, a 30, and a 116, will put out close to the same amount of heat. The #6 is heating several large rooms of a large, uninsulated, tall ceiling Victorian with lots of 6 foot tall windows in the cold hill country of central NY State. But that doesn't mean it will work in your setting like you want.

If you want to have extra capacity so you don't have to run it hard, and considering all you'll have to go through to get it to your place, you might want to think seriously about going really big such as something with an 18-20 inch firepot. My Brother in law is heating a large glassed in space about the size of what you describe, but he's using a 24 inch firepot, extended barrel, oak stove and wood.

As you may know, if you have a decent drafting chimney system, large coal stoves can easily be idled way down. And they don't cost a tremendous amount more than those in the 15-16 inch size range.

We often get people coming on this website complaining about problems because they bought a too-small coal stove. I can't remember anyone saying they'd bought one too big. ;)

Have a Merry Christmas. I hope Father Christmas is good to you and yours. :yes:

Paul

Wal

Post by Wal » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 10:00 am

Hi , Thanks for your honesty, and assessment of the stoves heating capacity 👍

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”