Choosing A Coal Burning Stove for the House

jdode
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vintage laundry tank heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Natural gas

Post by jdode » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 10:43 pm

I experimented with a laundry stove and have decided that it's too small. So, I'm on the hunt for another coal burner. I want something not too frilly or antique looking. Some of the 1940 Art Deco styles might be for me.

Here is one that is available within 300 miles. Yes, I would drive that far, if it is priced right and within my budget.
CoalStove9.jpg

I love this!

.JPG | 183.8KB | CoalStove9.jpg
CoalStove9a.jpg
.JPG | 179.9KB | CoalStove9a.jpg
CoalStove10.jpg

Open the decorative front grille to access the feed and ash doors.

.JPG | 78.6KB | CoalStove10.jpg
CoalStove10a.jpg
.JPG | 162.7KB | CoalStove10a.jpg

jdode

Post by jdode » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Here are some others that are available. I could put a bigger stove on the side porch and let the heat waft through the windows and kitchen door.
CoalStove.jpg

For the side porch. About 4' tall.

.JPG | 95.9KB | CoalStove.jpg
CoalStove1.jpg
.JPG | 67.3KB | CoalStove1.jpg
CoalStove2.jpg

This is a smaller one that could go in the living room.

.JPG | 104.3KB | CoalStove2.jpg
CoalStove3.jpg
.JPG | 100.4KB | CoalStove3.jpg
CoalStove4.jpg

For the side porch. About 4' tall. Price reduced to $75.

.JPG | 117.8KB | CoalStove4.jpg
CoalStove5.jpg
.JPG | 75.7KB | CoalStove5.jpg
Last edited by jdode on Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdode

Post by jdode » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 10:55 pm

There is not a grate for this one, but I could have a coal grate made to fit snug and have enough room under it to be able to shovel ash. Or, have a custom ash pan made to go with the custom grate. By 'custom grate', I mean one made to accommodate the nut coal and to fit snugly all around, so the air flow is under and up through the coal. The fire box is about 3' tall. Right now the lower door is open and the upper door is closed.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

CoalStove6.jpg

For the side porch.

.JPG | 172.9KB | CoalStove6.jpg
CoalStove7.jpg
.JPG | 151.4KB | CoalStove7.jpg
CoalStove8.jpg
.JPG | 158.2KB | CoalStove8.jpg

jdode

Post by jdode » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 11:23 pm

I just missed out on this one..... :(
CoalStove11.jpg
.JPG | 90.2KB | CoalStove11.jpg
CoalStove11a.jpg
.JPG | 120.2KB | CoalStove11a.jpg
CoalStove11b.jpg
.JPG | 123.1KB | CoalStove11b.jpg
CoalStove11c.jpg
.JPG | 75.9KB | CoalStove11c.jpg
CoalStove11d.jpg
.JPG | 58.8KB | CoalStove11d.jpg
CoalStove11e.jpg
.JPG | 142.2KB | CoalStove11e.jpg
CoalStove11f.jpg
.JPG | 116.5KB | CoalStove11f.jpg

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 11:31 pm

I don't know if you realize those stoves are European, and with that said they typically put out not much more than 50KBTU at best. Ash pan is a must, shoveling ash is not a good idea on the stove # 5. I ran a Buderus 3115, similar to stove #1. I did find that the shaker grate was not the best with some of the higher ash coal. I was able to buy low ash coal from time to time and that was the way to go.

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 1:02 am

2001Sierra wrote:
Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 11:31 pm
I don't know if you realize those stoves are European, and with that said they typically put out not much more than 50KBTU at best. Ash pan is a must, shoveling ash is not a good idea on the stove # 5. I ran a Buderus 3115, similar to stove #1. I did find that the shaker grate was not the best with some of the higher ash coal. I was able to buy low ash coal from time to time and that was the way to go.
The cottage I plan to heat is 900-1000 sq. ft. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Plus, there is supplemental electric heat, for times when it is in single digits. I'm in an area where the winter night temps vary between teen digits for a few weeks, and then, in the 40's for a week or more. Daytime temps are 30's to 50's. The last two weeks have had daytime temps in the mid to high 50's. Just as we get used to it, we'll get hammered with 20's. ;)

Btw, I'm only able to buy 40 lb bags of anthracite nut coal from Tractor Supply.

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 12:50 pm

I haven't been able to get a size on Stove #1, but I am suspecting it is a very small stove, as I compare it with the sidewalk and grass.

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 12:52 pm

Stove #2 is priced at $75, but no pics on the interior, yet. Still no word as to whether or not the lower door is stashed inside the fire box. Apparently, it is in a house that sold and is 'closing' this Thursday. She wants pickup of the stove on Wed night. I think I'll wait and deal with the new owners. Maybe, they can give me additional pics and a pickup date in the daytime.

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 2:19 pm

2001Sierra wrote:
Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 11:31 pm
Speaking of Buderus, this one is available, but is a small stove; 26x14x14. I would like it for my camper, but the upper plate is missing.
Buderus.jpg
.JPG | 104.1KB | Buderus.jpg
Buderus1.jpg
.JPG | 99.9KB | Buderus1.jpg

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 2:37 pm

I think I may be going to look at this one, for $75. She sent more pics. From these pics, can anyone tell if the lower door can be attached? Or, do you suspect the stove hinge is broken? Still, no measurements. It seems to tower over the table and desk next to it. I'm guessing it to be 50"x24"x24".

UPDATE: She says the stove hinge is broken. Do I drive 100 miles to have a look at it.....hmmm. The price makes it affordable to have repaired. I think I like the size of it and it is to be placed in my enclosed side porch; letting the heat waft through the double windows and kitchen door and into the dining room.

Problem: The side porch roof is flat. Is it possible to attach a tall enough flue pipe to a one story flat roof? There are two pitched rooves within 8' to which support braces could be attached; making the braces 12' - 15' or so. What do you think?
CoalStove4.jpg
.JPG | 117.8KB | CoalStove4.jpg
CoalStove4a.jpg
.JPG | 89.4KB | CoalStove4a.jpg
CoalStove4b.jpg
.JPG | 49.4KB | CoalStove4b.jpg
CoalStove4c.jpg
.JPG | 69.2KB | CoalStove4c.jpg
CoalStove4d.jpg
.JPG | 79KB | CoalStove4d.jpg
CoalStove4e.jpg
.JPG | 66.2KB | CoalStove4e.jpg
CoalStove5.jpg
.JPG | 75.7KB | CoalStove5.jpg

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 9:49 pm

I've been calculating my local bagged anthracite coal prices against my natural gas price and I am so disappointed. They are running even. I may have to give up the idea of using coal at the cottage and go ahead with a free standing gas heater in the side porch. (I do not want to replace the old HVAC system with a new one. I don't like the forced air noise and dusty ductwork. However, a central HVAC may, or may not be a good selling point, when I want to sell the cottage in 2 years. More and more people are allergic to central HVAC dusty duct work.)

Right now, I'm living in the BIG house and using a free standing gas heater in my den and I like that it's warm and quiet. I'm moving out of this house soon and moving to the cottage. I would like to continue using a free standing heat source and not a central heat system. I just wish the bagged coal in my area was cheaper.

Maybe, I can do the gas heater in the side porch and use the laundry stove in the living room for some additional nearby heat. I am somewhat disappointed.

jdode

Post by jdode » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 9:26 pm

For this winter, I'll be using the stand alone gas furnace in the side porch for the dominant heat supply, until I have a more accurate idea of the coal costs involved. Would love to get out of paying a $28/mo service fee on gas. Looks like I'm putting the laundry stove in the living room for a little extra heat during the afternoon/evening. I think I'll need to install an anti-backdraft damper on the laundry stove pipe, since the coals should be out at bedtime.

Anthracite nut coal is $315/ton in bags at TSC. Does anyone know how many pounds it takes to heat 1000 sq. ft. per day with 35 degree weather?

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 10:03 pm

I wouldn’t put a stove on a porch unless the roof is insulated very very well.
It’s a recipe for ice buildup in every direction.

jdode

Post by jdode » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 11:58 pm

dbsuz05 wrote:
Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 10:03 pm
I wouldn’t put a stove on a porch unless the roof is insulated very very well.
It’s a recipe for ice buildup in every direction.
I ripped down the acoustic tiles and have bought insulation to put in the space. Then, replace with new acoustic tiles. Will that take care of it? Some years we have 1" of snow through the winter and other years we have 10".

dbsuz05
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham 23"

Post by dbsuz05 » Wed. Dec. 26, 2018 8:56 am

That’s great to hear your insulating it. Long as there’s some air space between the roof joists that cold air can get into from the soffit. It will work great. But if the insulation is tight up against the roof sheeting it will still make ice dams. Just trying to help. So you avoid an ice catastrophe! Ps. This was a mistake I made in the beginnings of my coal burning with putting a boiler in a garage without correct insulation. I had icicles hanging to the ground!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”