1970's Franklin by Atlanta Stove Works

jdode
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vintage laundry tank heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Natural gas

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 11:52 am

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 11:19 am
Take your time, do a little research. Do like Sunny Boy says. If you do it right, you will be amazed how little work it is to tend one of these stoves. Do it wrong, and it will just be a pain in the butt.

-Don
I agree. ;)

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 1:00 pm

jdode wrote:
Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 11:50 am
Thanks for all the suggestions. They are greatly appreciated! Part of my desire to use wood and coal in the same stove is due to the year or two supply of wood on the cottage property, that I'd like to burn until it's gone. Plus, my plan is to move from there in two years and I could leave the wood burner with the house, as no one here burns coal, because they don't know how great a fuel is anthracite coal. Most have heard stories about the messy, stinky (bit) coal that the great grandparents used at the turn of the century.

Right now, i'm living in my 118 year old, 2.5 story brick Victorian. It has a coal fireplace in the living room, and I suspect it had lots of parlor stoves throughout it in it's heyday, due to the number of covered flues I've found throughout the house. The plan is to sell this BIG house in the spring and complete the move to the cottage. At the cottage, I want to burn off the excess small timber in a wood stove that could, also, use coal at night. Then, 2 years later, sell the cottage, leaving behind the wood stove.

It sounds as though I won't be able to alternate wood and coal use in one unit, so I should focus on the wood stove first and buy a coal burner after I sell the cottage, two years from now.

Yesterday, I started a new thread, strictly about my search for a coal stove. I might be able to have a wood burner in the living room and a coal burner in the side porch, or vice versa. So sorry for all the confusion. ;)
There are some stoves that will burn wood and coal well. But you'll be putting wood in a lot more often than you'll need to put coal in. If you don't want to wake up and have to relight the stove every morning in a cold house, sell the wood and use the money to buy coal.

If you have to use both fuels, I just posted one of the best wood/coal stoves ever made. The Glenwood 116 with a back pipe and it's very reasonably priced for what it's condition looks like. Post by Sunny Boy - Glenwood 116 Modern Oak These stoves were built at the height of coal use, but also at a time when many rural areas of the country couldn't get coal. They had to be good at both to sell, and Glenwood sold a lot of them, as did their competition.

Trying to make a wood stove use coal is not going to work. Many have tried. And, trying to make some coal stoves use wood is almost as bad. Been there, as have many others on this site.

That's why I don't bother with wood even though it's cheap around here.You'll be throwing wood in it every few hours, or relighting it when you wake up and again when you get home, each time to a cold house. In the same size firebox a load of coal will easily burn twice as long as wood, more often three times as long.

And I don't burn any windfall wood, or any that I cut down here on my property. Doesn't last long enough and I don't care to be shutting down stoves and cleaning chimneys throughout the winter, or cleaning stove windows every day only to have them soot up within a few minutes again. That wood only gets used when we go camping.

When just using coal, I only have to vacuum out the pipes once a year and never have to worry about a chimney fire.

Paul

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 1:00 pm
There are some stoves that will burn wood and coal well. But you'll be putting wood in a lot more often than you'll need to put coal in. If you don't want to wake up and have to relight the stove every morning in a cold house, sell the wood and use the money to buy coal.

If you have to use both fuels, I just posted one of the best wood/coal stoves ever made. The Glenwood 116 with a back pipe and it's very reasonably priced for what it's condition looks like. Post by Sunny Boy - Glenwood 116 Modern Oak These stoves were built at the height of coal use, but also at a time when many rural areas of the country couldn't get coal. They had to be good at both to sell, and Glenwood sold a lot of them, as did their competition.

Trying to make a wood stove use coal is not going to work. Many have tried. And, trying to make some coal stoves use wood is almost as bad. Been there, as have many others on this site.

That's why I don't bother with wood even though it's cheap around here.You'll be throwing wood in it every few hours, or relighting it when you wake up and again when you get home, each time to a cold house. In the same size firebox a load of coal will easily burn twice as long as wood, more often three times as long.

And I don't burn any windfall wood, or any that I cut down here on my property. Doesn't last long enough and I don't care to be shutting down stoves and cleaning chimneys throughout the winter, or cleaning stove windows every day only to have them soot up within a few minutes again. That wood only gets used when we go camping.

When just using coal, I only have to vacuum out the pipes once a year and never have to worry about a chimney fire.

Paul
Your Glenwood 116 looks in great condition and priced to sell. However, it is in Maine and I'm in MO.

I had a wood burner up until several years ago, so I recall how frequently they have to be loaded. That's why I'm switching to coal, it burns a LONG time and I can get it from TSC 40 miles away. My recent coal test burn in the laundry stove was excellent and exceeded my expectations! I didn't have to do a thing to it, after the initial 30 minute startup, even though it was a small coal fire, for the whole 9 hours following.

I think the thing to do is to sell or use the property wood for camping and go strictly coal in the house. Then, plan to take the stove with me when I sell the cottage.

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 1:38 pm

I really appreciate all the suggestions. It is helping me to clear my mind of all the extraneous issues, so I can focus on the most important one. Buy a coal stove and forget about the multi use wood/coal idea.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 7:35 pm

jdode wrote:
Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 1:38 pm
Buy a coal stove and forget about the multi use wood/coal idea.
Wow, someone that actually listens.

Merry Christmas to you,

-Don

jdode

Post by jdode » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 8:19 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 7:35 pm
Wow, someone that actually listens.

Merry Christmas to you,

-Don
That's because I'm alone and have to figure out things for myself. I always turn to enthusiast forums to get the best advice. I'm definitely getting the best advice here.

Now, all of you, go to my other thread and help me with my dirt cheap coal stove find..... Yikes! It's called, "Choosing a Coal Burning Stove for the House".

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Bifold Franklin stoves are actually wood disposal systems. You put the wood in and it goes away. That saves having to carry it outside and does little else.
If you are serious about heating with coal you should invest in a proper coal burning unit. It is time and money well spent.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”