My first base heater. Glenwood 8

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Dec. 22, 2018 7:06 pm

My buddy runs his 8 on a 24 hr schedule with 350-450 barrel temps on Lehigh stove coal without the magazine. His reload times are long though. He has a mag but is too busy finishing his cabin to fit it.

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Sat. Dec. 22, 2018 7:31 pm

The one place that sold stove coal near me sold out and now the new owners don’t sell coal at all, currently my options are nut from tractor supply or blashalk from a grain store, I found a place that sells bulk about a hour from me so I will be seeing if they have stove size to play with
Dana

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 8:03 am

Well, it’s 8am I’ve had 70# of cheap tractor supply nut in the 8 since about 3pm, at 10:30 last night I closed the mpd’s 3/4 and went to bed, at that point the barrel temp was steady at 266* and 130* at the chimney, woke up this morning still rocking blues with a barrel temp of 245* and 120 at the chimney. I’m pretty sure I could stall this thing if I wanted to, and it’s only 75 in my kitchen and 70 on the complete other end.
Dana

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 8:45 am

Gotta love it! A guy who is running fuel oil for a living is heating his house with coal. And he gets the bad ass of the stove world to boot. This place is great😊

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 3:45 pm

24 hours and less than 10# later.
I shook it down around 9 might have gotten a ash shovels worth, if this is how these run I will be able to use half the coal I normally do. My wife has dubbed it “fat bastard” haha
Daba

Paned
Baseburners & Antiques: Florence 153, 151; Imperial Acorn, Alert Acorn, Acme Carbon, Favorite 261, Favorite 416, Estate Square Oak

Post by Paned » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Dana. Congrats on your score. That big girl will really throw out the heat.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Nice find Dana plus you got it at a good price :yes: , Like Scott said I can go 24 HRS in mine but the reload time is increased dramatically. I try to do a 12 HR schedule but Its more like 14 to 15 HRS using 30 to 35 LBS/day running 325° to 350°, Once you get the operation down Its hard to beat :D

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Wed. Dec. 26, 2018 5:38 am

I’ve been keeping to a 12hr schedual, and the temps pitched off here in new hampshire Monday night, teens durningthe night and upper 20s durning the day so I’ve had to increase the barrel temp to around 300-325 and now my coal consumption is around 20ish pounds be shake down, still considerably less than the Crawford range, I definitely need to get on that mag list that Paulie is working on
Dana

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Dec. 26, 2018 8:28 am

As your finding out, unless you run it really dampered-down and low output, the tending times are not limited by need for more coal as much as they are a need to clear ash to keep the heat output up. 12 hours is about how often I have to tend the #6. Still plenty of coal to burn, but the ash buildup begins to slow the fire and stove temps drop off.

It's easy to think the mag would make it run longer, but that's not how it works. The mag cuts down on reloading times by having all that coal in the mag preheated before it pours out on the firebed while shaking ashes, allows me to reset the dampers and walk away as soon as I'm done refilling the mag and not worry about it going boom ! And the gas ring feeding secondary air around the firebed helps burn off any volatiles is more insurance against puff backs.

Takes longer to rotate the grates, push down the edges of the coal bridge, then shake the grates, than it does to add coal and reset the dampers. :yes:

Paul

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Wed. Dec. 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Fantastic. Beautiful stove! Like ghe pic of inside.

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 9:47 am

Been 1 week, it’s been in the 30s during the days and teens at night with the exception on Friday night and sat morning, with heating my 1840s cape solely with the 8 and bagged tractor supply nut. I’ve been averaging 10-15# during the day with barrel tamps around 300 and 20-25# at night, running a bit hotter around 350, I had one pretty bad bridge Friday afternoon and thought I was going to loose the fire “actually tried to loose it after I realized what was going on” so I pulled the gas rings cleaned and reasealed while lightly bbq’ing my knuckles, by the time I was done I had a soft ball size ball of coal still burning so after a few hours of letting the cement cure I was able to build the fire back in a matter of 20-30 min.
Sat I found a guy who just bought a house and in the basement the last owners left 48 bags of blaschak nut coal, I bought it all for $160, the one store around me that sells it gets $9 a bag!

So now with my new actually functioning gas rings I can see the gasses burning off.

I think all and all this stove it a little over kill for my house however I can all but kill the fire with the controls so I can keep it idled back enough where it’s not more then 73* with a simple box fan to help circulate the heat or such as last night crank it up a little and have it be 80 in a matter of minutes. Wish I had found one years ago...
Dana

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 10:08 am

Overkill ?

I have a sister that lives in Silver Lake, NH. I hear what her weather is like. Just wait until the real NH winter shows up. I think that you'll find you picked the right size stove. :yes:

Paul

D.lapan

Post by D.lapan » Sun. Dec. 30, 2018 10:54 am

That’s funny silver lake is about 50 min from me, if it ever gets to a normal winter I think I might use half of it’s capabilty, when it gets that cold I’ll have to fire up the new Mac wood/coal furnace in the basement to keep the pipes from freezing and help heat the opposite end of the house
Dana

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”