Splendid Stewart 71 Newbie

Goldfly9
Baseburners & Antiques: Splendid Stewart 71
Other Heating: Fuel Oil

Post by Goldfly9 » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 11:05 am

Obviously, I am new to this forum. I'm glad to have found it, I have already learned a lot. Part of the reason I bought my house is that it came with a beautiful coal stove in the living room. I've never burned coal and don't know where to find it. I was told that this stove had been previously converted to burn wood. I read on here that I shouldn't do that but I am... for now. My issue is that I want it to burn efficiently and effectively to heat my 2000 sq ft home. I burn well seasoned oak in it right now and some days the temps get to the mid 70's other days only to the mid 60's. The amount of effort to maintain the fire also varies.

It's been difficult to find any information about this wonderful relic. I was considering selling and getting a modern stove until I found this place. In a short time I was convinced I won't ever part with this stove.
acbcdbe4f3753ff0b9c982a1c25c533e.jpg
.JPG | 27.8KB | acbcdbe4f3753ff0b9c982a1c25c533e.jpg
This isn't my stove but it is very similar....

Help :o :o

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Welcome G.

Stewarts were one of the top stove makers. And having a Stewart mica base burner is about as good as it gets for coal burning !!!!!

"Converted to wood" ??? Not sure how that's done with a stove like yours, except maybe to remove a coal magazine.

Were there any parts that came with the sale that were removed to "convert" it ? Does it still have the shaker grates at the bottom of the firepot ? Can you post pictures of the inside?

If you go here and read there's lots of info n coal stoves and operation. Popular Hand Fired Coal Stove Topics

Starting a coal stove. How to Light a Hand Fired Coal Stove
Basics of a Hand Fired Coal Stove

And if you use the search function near the top of the pages for "base burner", there's lots more details about how your stove works.

Paul

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 3:33 pm

Goldfly9 wrote:
Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 11:05 am
In a short time I was convinced I won't ever part with this stove.
I guess in my old age I'm really starting to calm down and mellow out.

It wasn't that long ago that I would get all wound up at the mention of someone who was thinking about burning wood in a suspended pot mica stove that was designed for Anthracite only.

Since you plan to keep the stove forever, then I say ....burn wood and enjoy it.

If there is a chance you might want to sell it in the future, there are a few things you can do to help recover more than scrap value when the time comes.

I would remove the original firepot and grates, send them out to the foundry, and have at least two sets of each recast. Save the originals and use the recasts.

Burning wood really takes a toll on the suspended pots, so it's nice to have a few spares. If you catch them in time and replace them before they are too warped and crystalized, you can usually save the body from splitting.

Try to avoid burning the stove in base burner mode. The base chamber passages tend to get clogged with creosote in a short period of time.

If you don't pack it too tight and burn it too hot, a recast firepot should get you thru most of a heating season.

Unlike a conventional wood / coal stove, the bottom of your firebowl is not attached any part of the stove and the clinker grinding fingers at the bottom will start distorting first. Keep an eye on the sides, and replace it before it gets too out of round.

Its a beautiful stove so Enjoy it !

Paulie

Goldfly9

Post by Goldfly9 » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks Paulie,

The previous owner told me he was burning wood in it so I didn't think anything of it. I haven't been able to find a supplier of anthracite in northern MN yet. If I need to stop burning wood so you don't get wound up, Paulie, I will. I'm here to learn not to wind you up. I was burning wood because of what I was told from the previous owner and that I can get it free. The more I learn the dumber I feel. Does anyone know where I can find coal in this area or online I suppose?

Goldfly9

Post by Goldfly9 » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks for the links Sunny.

There are no parts, everything seems to be intact other than a couple of the mica panes are starting to bend and break. It really only seems like it needs a good cleaning. I'll post pictures very soon.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Goldfly9 wrote:
Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 4:55 pm
Thanks Paulie,

The previous owner told me he was burning wood in it so I didn't think anything of it. I haven't been able to find a supplier of anthracite in northern MN yet. If I need to stop burning wood so you don't get wound up, Paulie, I will. I'm here to learn not to wind you up. I was burning wood because of what I was told from the previous owner and that I can get it free. The more I learn the dumber I feel. Does anyone know where I can find coal in this area or online I suppose?
Nobody is born knowing this stuff so don't feel bad. We've all had to learn and made mistakes along the way. That's the beauty of this site, if there's a mistake you can make, very likely someone else already has and is willing to help guide you to avoid the pitfalls. So remember, the only "dumb questions" are the ones never asked !

Oh, and one other thing,..... we love to see pictures of coal stoves. Outside,... inside,... or all apart,..... we love 'em all ! :D

We have a few members out your way that burn coal and know where to get it. "Warminmn" is one, and others will chime in as they see this topic. In the meantime if you have any Tractor Supply Stores, they generally carry "nut coal" (aka chest nut size), which should be a good size to start with in your stove.

Paul

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 12:07 am

Goldfly9 wrote:
Sat. Dec. 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks Paulie,

Please don't take it the wrong way, as Sunny Boy stated, We are here to help and pass on information we have learned thru the years either from other more experienced members or by our own mistakes.

Although I've been heating with anthracite coal for well over 50 years, it's been less than 10 years that I gained any knowledge on these full mica stoves. And over 90% of what I learned about them was right here ! :D

If your intention was to burn the stove occasionally with a small wood fire for a nice romantic evening, I would encourage you to go for it. With a small fire, the only drawback is that the mica windows quickly darken up with soot and creosote.

When you mentioned using it to heat a good portion of your home, I just wanted to prepare you for some of the consequences and how to prepare for them.

Firepots and grates were considered consumable parts on these stoves and the ideal Avenue is to save the original parts for casting patterns and wear out the recast parts.

The two major differences between your stove and one designed for wood and coal are the suspended firepot (not being supported on the bottom), and no provision for above the fire secondary air.

A wood fire prefers the majority of its air above the firepot, and a small amount from the bottom.
Coal is the exact opposite.

Burning wood in a suspended pot stove with only primary air from the bottom causes uneven hot spots in the firepot. Since the bottom of the firepot is basically just hanging in mid air it easily warps and twists.

As far as purchasing anthracite coal in your area, I agree with Sunny Boy on contacting the manager of your local Tractor Supply to start with. You will probably want to start out with chestnut sized coal.

And again........ There is no such thing as a dumb question. :D

Paulie

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 1:19 am

I dont see many others here from MN that are smart enough to burn coal! Anthracite isnt too hard to source here but yes more expensive than it is closer to its source in PA.

For whatever it is worth you could sell the wood you have and buy coal at roughly a break even price heat (BTU) wise, minus all the work with wood. I still use wood in the shoulder seasons. Im in SE MN and the price is close to $300/ton. Theres a dealer in Isanti MN that advertises online on Craigslist but the cost is higher..... of course their cost is higher too because of transportation. Tractor Supply sells it but its hit and miss on availability but grab it if you can. You can search TSC online by store to see if they have it.

What a nice looking stove! Forget 100% completely about burning wood with that stove!

Give anthracite a try. I dont use an antique stove but these folks here will help you thru the learning curve. Myself i love the hot spot my stoves have. I sleep 4 feet from my main stove. If you figure out how to run that stove right you wont want propane or wood. Anthracite has a stable cost compared to other fuels, even here on the frozen tundra.

I use one match a year to light my main stove, 12 hour tendings, dump ash once a day. It isnt like burning wood.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 4:51 am

Yes, Tractor Supply can be hit or miss,... when you walk in the store.

But, you can order on line and have it shipped to your local store. Or you can order at the store. I've done both when TSC was first getting into selling coal and the store people weren't sure what was going on.

And, you'll get better service if you order by the pallet full. That's 50 bags that weight 40 lbs. each. Sometimes they give a discount when ordering by the pallet. Try talking to the store manager rather than the sales clerks and you might do better on price.

Paul

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 10:03 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 4:51 am
Yes, Tractor Supply can be hit or miss,... when you walk in the store.

But, you can order on line and have it shipped to your local store. Or you can order at the store. I've done both when TSC was first getting into selling coal and the store people weren't sure what was going on.

And, you'll get better service if you order by the pallet full. That's 50 bags that weight 40 lbs. each. Sometimes they give a discount when ordering by the pallet. Try talking to the store manager rather than the sales clerks and you might do better on price.

Paul
Not all stores will order it for you. i do think its totally up to the managers but I have been told no by 2 of their stores managers when I asked. And one of the 2 stores will give 5% off a pallet and the other will give 5% and also use coupons on top of that. Really hit and miss but worth a try.

I have noticed they have a shipping option on their website now but I cannot get it to work. It says $50 off the shipping charge but it wont apply at checkout as I tried it out of curiosity.

Still, TSC is worth a shot.

Goldfly9

Post by Goldfly9 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”