Andes Oak 161 90 degree flu pipe

Christopher
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Round Oak#A-18, Round Oak #E18
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dickson Oak#117
Baseburners & Antiques: Fairringgold #126, Round Oak copperiod Range

Post by Christopher » Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi I recently purchased a 161 Andes Oak it is in rough shape. The 90 degree flu pipe is cracked and missing parts of the casting,it has a air vent on the side of the pipe but missing the round air control dial on the outside. Is it necessary to have this air control or can l just replace the 90 cast pipe with a 90 6in pipe at Lowes or home depo.Sending it out to be recasted requires to make the missing pieces on the pipe and very hard to find a Oak Andes pipe,l am also looking for other parts for the Andes, swing top,and some of the skirting and part of the base it sets on
20181201_141406.jpg
.JPG | 272.9KB | 20181201_141406.jpg

Attachments

20181201_141345.jpg
.JPG | 269.5KB | 20181201_141345.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 7:45 am

That three wedge-shaped opening damper is called a "check damper". It's used to let room air into the stove pipe to cool the exhaust and thus weaken a too-strong draft and slow the fire down when it's getting tough to control, such as you might sometimes get with burning very dry wood.

Unless you have a very strong drafting chimney you don't really need it with coal. So therefore you can use a regular stove pipe elbow instead of that casting.

Paul

Tanu

Post by Tanu » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Has anyone ever had success recasting these cast 90 degree pipes with the check damper? I've come to the realization that there are lots "missing" from coal setups? Does a barometric damper serve the same purpose or is there benefit to the original check damper?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Tanu wrote:
Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Has anyone ever had success recasting these cast 90 degree pipes with the check damper? I've come to the realization that there are lots "missing" from coal setups? Does a barometric damper serve the same purpose or is there benefit to the original check damper?
Because cast iron shrinks 1/8 inch to the foot, as it cools in the mold, you'd need to make an oversized pattern.

And it's much cheaper to just buy an elbow than have the two halves and the rotoary damper plate pieces cast. That's why so many stove owners just use a sheet metal 90.

Paul

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 7:12 am

Hi, Paul thank you for the information. I did not want to go thru the hassle of rebuilding the pipe to be sent out to be recasted. Some of the parts have to be recasted, some of the skirting and foot base that supports the stove, not from wear but from a individual who backed into it with their car wile it sat in the driveway waiting for me to pick it up, that made my day! The Andes parlor stove from what l have learned was one of the best made for the time what is your opinion?

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 8:44 am

Ouch, sorry to hear about the driveway disfigurement. The parts can be recast. Many of us on this forum use Tomahawk Foundry. Al does very good work, and the turn around time is very quick. http://www.tomahawkfoundry.com/

If you take clear pictures of the broken parts, with a tape measure next to them, and email the pix to Al, he will give you an estimate.

Yes, Andes was one of the top stove makers in the North East. Member Randy (Photog2000) has two Andes Oaks and speaks very highly of their quality. And since he's rebuilt both of his stoves, he may also be able to help you track down parts.

Paul

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 6:09 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 8:44 am

Yes, Andes was one of the top stove makers in the North East. Member Randy (Photog2000) has two Andes Oaks and speaks very highly of their quality. And since he's rebuilt both of his stoves, he may also be able to help you track down parts.

Paul
Good morning, I do indeed have two Andes Oak 517 stoves. The first stove I bought has the return flue and makes burning coal more efficient. One of the grates was warped when I got that stove and I had a really tough time finding one to replace it. I ended up cutting the grate into three sections then pinning back together with liquid steel glue making it as straight as I could. I then sent that to Tomahawk and had one cast from that repaired one. It was not the prettiest but it worked. Then I found another 517 down in NJ, I bought it thinking I would just use it for a parts stove. The grates were in perfect condition in that stove so I sent that set to Tomahawk and had a set cast and kept the originals in case I wanted to make another set someday. This stove had the double heater feature on it where you could pipe some heat to the second floor. I decided to do a complete restoration on this stove including having the nickel redone. Here is the link to the stove photos of the restoration if you are interested. Post by Photog200 - Geneva Andes 517 W/ Double Heater Feature Stove Restoration The elbow on this stove was rusted shut but after soaking in vinegar, I was able to clean it up.

Unfortunately, I do not have that magical place for parts but if we find some of the parts are compatible with our stoves I might be able to help you out. The 161 is not in the stove catalog I have for Phillips & Clark so I am not sure if they would be compatible.

Randy

Tanu

Post by Tanu » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Ok another question. Thanks Paul for answering the first....I promise I will post an introduction in the proper forum after, for now the name is Kaity, but.... does anyone understand the Andes numbering system. Could you explain it to me. I looked at 2 stoves a 418 and a 419 online, probably could have figured it out in person but didn't bother because despite reading that they are "good stoves" on this forum I could not figure out for the life of me what was what. Presumabley the last two digits describe the firepot size but what s the difference between the four hundred series and five hundred series etc. Btw I could not find a single thing about the four hundreds in any old marketing info. Thanks in advance. Now as promised I'm off to the intro post.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Thu. Dec. 06, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi, Randy thank for the information your stove is really nice the parts you laid out with the doors look very much like the 161,cook plate,door.l wish there was a place to get all types of parts for stoves but it is hit and miss. I think the Andes l have is around 1903 l have see it in a catalog. I am always amazed with the stove numbering system for most companys,like the Round Oak Parlor stoves A-M a very simple system,yes the numbers do represent fire pot size but from then on your guess is as good as mine

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”