too big a fire or just right?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 10:12 am

Tom,

Did you mean to say female end up, male end down" ? Female end of any type of pipe connections always being the larger of the two diameters.

You've got kids, you know how it works. :lol:

That way the pipe joints will overlap to keep any water and fly ash dust inside as it descends inside the pipe.

Paul

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 10:34 am

Male end pointing down, especially for wood, so creosote that runs down will stay inside the pipe rather than outside. Same for rain, I guess, but hopefully there's not much of that. :?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 11:27 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 10:12 am
Tom,

Did you mean to say female end up, male end down" ? Female end of any type of pipe connections always being the larger of the two diameters.

You've got kids, you know how it works. :lol:

That way the pipe joints will overlap to keep any water and fly ash dust inside as it descends inside the pipe.

Paul
Funny stuff Paul!!! I did mean to say male up, at least that is what is suggested. I run female up to keep all the crap in the pipes. The section of pipe that connects to my stove is a double female because my stove flange is a male. I just cut the crimped end off and it fits perfect.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 11:46 am

If it were my stove, I'd consider adding one of these on top of that elbow and 'permanently' fastening it and sealing with stove cement to the elbow.
6inadapter.png
.PNG | 160.1KB | 6inadapter.png
You will then have an easy and well-fitting joint to attach, remove, service, your stove pipe.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 11:49 am

tcalo wrote:
Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 11:27 am
Funny stuff Paul!!! I did mean to say male up, at least that is what is suggested. I run female up to keep all the crap in the pipes. The section of pipe that connects to my stove is a double female because my stove flange is a male. I just cut the crimped end off and it fits perfect.
Ditto with both my Glenwoods. :yes:

With my potbelly stove in my previous house I learned that the hard way. In the shoulder months I burned quite a bit of free wood scraps. What a mess with male end up and creosote and rust streaks running down the outsides of each pipe section. :oops:

I like the smell of wood smoke, but gooey creosote on the outsides of stove pipe stinks !!!!

Paul

jubileejerry
Baseburners & Antiques: Wehrle Acme Sunburst 112, Hot Blast wood/coal burner

Post by jubileejerry » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 9:56 pm

I can understand the reasoning behind having the male part at the bottom. I guess I've never had the leakage problem so I hadn't thought of that. I guess the main thing is everything needs to fit right and tight. I thought of a humorous situation I was involved in years ago that has nothing to do with stove pipe, but I'd still like to tell it. A couple of guys came in my shop with a piece of that triangle-shaped antenna tower stuff they use to put a radio antenna way up in the sky. They wanted me to put sleeves on the three pipes that were supposed to be the female ends of the section. They needed them to be even bigger so another female end would slip in. When I finished the job I asked them why it had to be changed and they sheepishly admitted they had put up the tower with the bottom embedded in concrete and when they got to the last section at the top of the tower they realized the entire tower was upside down because they had two female ends on both parts. I knew where the tower was and every time I drove by I looked up at the bulges in the three pipes and just smiled.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 9:45 am

jubileejerry wrote:
Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 9:56 pm
... they realized the entire tower was upside down ...
:D
I can imagine that sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach, until they figured out how to remedy it. :lol:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 11:31 am

rberq wrote:
Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 10:34 am
Same for rain, I guess, but hopefully there's not much of that. :?
In the summer when its humid, I have had water (creosote) dripping from pipes. It takes a long humid spell to do it. The horizontal runs can drip pretty bad. Keeping the stove door cracked helps but it still happened. Im glad its rare. I learned to light a fire and that will dry it out, and roast me out, at the same time.

Great story Jerry!

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 10:20 am

rberq wrote:
Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 9:45 am
:D
I can imagine that sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach, until they figured out how to remedy it. :lol:
It's a FEATURE. Makes it easier to remove the top using a Drone if it ever needs upgraded, we can do it from the ground. LOL

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”