Baltimore Heater vs. freestanding Stove

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 8:36 am

and is the fire pot big enough for you? Sunny is one of the bigger ones it would appear. I see to it twice a day but if I pushed it, I would become a stove mistress? So I put in seven shovelfuls twice a day (am no IS). The ash pan is half full so everything is easy. This is no G#8. Baltimore gets cold sure but it is no Chazy. Middle of the road stove for middling heating problems. However, do not get me wrong I love the thing to death. Firstly, pick a stove that does your job

jsmlesotho
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 90
Baseburners & Antiques: Fawcett's New Silver Moon #13 and "New Parlor Heater" Baltimore Heater
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite

Post by jsmlesotho » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 11:27 am

You can’t go wrong with a Baltimore heater, they are definitely a work of art. I always wanted to put a mica baseburner in this room but my wife wouldn’t have it. We’ve got four little kids ages 8-2years so floor space was issue with her. This stove with the 6 mica windows made us both happy.

I don't know if this stove would out perform a free standing parlor stove but it will definitely fulfill my heating needs. When I installed this stove I hooked it up to 6” SS liner. Around the liner I put in a sheet metal damper to block off the chimney and shoved a bunch of rockwool insulation up the flue around the liner. I’m hoping that will keep heat from traveling up the chimney. This stove sits pretty far out onto the hearth, I would say about 2/3 or 3/4 of the stove is outside of the fireplace. That should help with keeping heat in the room. Here is a profile picture, as a reference the hearth measures exactly 24” deep.
IMG_3660.JPG
.JPG | 386.2KB | IMG_3660.JPG

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 12:12 pm

scalabro wrote:
Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 8:01 am
Great info thanks Gents!

CN, you bring up a good point.... are all “Baltimore Heaters” return flue stoves?
Buckwalter Stove Works and Floyd Wells & Co both made a Baltimore Style fireplace heater that was direct draft.

In all of my research it appears at the time most were manufactured, they were referred to in the catalogs and patent office as Fireplace Heaters.

I'm not sure at what point in time they picked up the Baltimore / Latrobe name.

John Latrobe, an attorney from Baltimore, Maryland is credited with inventing this style heater in 1846.

Paulie

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Nov. 21, 2018 1:32 pm

The Sunny shroud is away from the stove and when the hot air is returned the back of the fireplace it gets 60-100* hotter as measured by my laser thermometer on the back of the fireplace. According to my little incense stick, cold air enters on the left side of the stove and leaves on the right. The stove breach is on the right side so that side is hotter so that makes sense yes? That air stream gives the extra efficiency. That is my 2 cent opinion and that is about what it is worth.

The design uses a lot of extra parts (see Pierres strip down photos) and I have always thought that they would not have gone to the trouble unless they thought it was worth it. I certainly do. I would love to buy a flux capacitor and travel back and talk to the guy that designed it.

Attachments

100_0979.JPG
.JPG | 477.4KB | 100_0979.JPG

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”